Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Willie Colon-They care about winning and not being a circus

"They care about winning and they care about being a better franchise, and not being a circus group," Colon told the Pittsburgh media Wednesday on a conference call. "I think having the Tim Tebow circus out of here, and having different things that were kind of holding this team back, are starting to go out the window. I think we're all starting to care about football and only football, which is a good sight to see."

"I came here with the attitude that this team was missing a lot," said Colon, who has emerged as a team leader. "They were missing chemistry and they were missing that fight and belief in one another."

The perception of the Jets is starting to change, especially after their upset of the Atlanta Falcons on Monday night. Many experts predicted the Jets would win only four or five games, but they're in a second-place tie with the Miami Dolphins in the AFC East, only one game behind the New England Patriots.

Colon has contributed at right guard, replacing the venerable Brandon Moore, who retired. He has galvanized a line that includes two former Pro Bowlers, D'Brickashaw Ferguson and Nick Mangold.

"Coming here, Nick and Brick, those guys aren't necessarily maulers," Colon said. "Those guys are technicians that do their job well and do it at a high level. When I came here, I had an opportunity to kind of bring that spark, to not have a back-down mentality, to let them know that, 'Hey, we don't have to take crap from nobody.' Those guys are starting to buy into it and it's working out so far."

Asked to comment on his former team, Colon said, "I see a desperate team." He expects them to be motivated Sunday.
    http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/stor...m-tebow-circus

ďNinety percent Iíll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent Iíll probably waste.Ē
    - Tug McGraw, on his plans for his $75,000 salary

vCash
    That's funny, Colon essentially just called Brick and Mangold finesse technicians...

I feel like that's the kind of thing an offensive lineman would find insulting, no?

Wide Load Beast Of The Green & White Northeast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CannibalPanda View Post
    That's funny, Colon essentially just called Brick and Mangold finesse technicians...

I feel like that's the kind of thing an offensive lineman would find insulting, no?
    It's well known that Brick isn't a mauler, but a technician.

And WColon has backed up EVERYTHING I've said about NMangold, that he's never been a roadgrader. He's good at his position, but he's never been the fighter that DWoody, AFaneca or KMawae were.

It's one thing to hold your position on the line, it's another to beat someone off their position.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CannibalPanda View Post

I don't know. I think calling an offensive lineman a pussie would be insulting, no?
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    -Sun Tzu

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    vCash
    The fact that the Media still brings up the butt fumble as a negative story, because there is nothing else that dramatic to use, is a sign that things are starting to change. They even tried to set up drama with Holmes, out of context comment and it didn't work.
    Hiccups like Winslow happen to every team.

It is a strangely, boring season aside from the games. That is a rather pleasant change.

Giants sucking balls doesn't hurt our media status either.
    Last edited by Kinkotheclown; 10-12-2013 at 06:58 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    The fact that the Media still brings up the butt fumble as a negative story, because there is nothing else that dramatic to use, is a sign that things are starting to change. They even tried to set up drama with Holmes, out of context comment and it didn't work.
    Hiccups like Winslow happen to every team.

It is a strangely, boring season aside from the games. That is a rather pleasant change.

Giants sucking balls doesn't hurt our media status either.
    Idzik has placed his stamp on this team. The culture has changed significantly.
    I loved the way he handled Mike Goodman behind the scenes being there to help out and quietly sending him to rehab. It makes me wonder if he's willing to take on another challenge like Josh Gordon.