Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cespedes

vCash

Cespedes

ESPN's Buster Olney wrote that he expects Oakland to be proactive in seeking a trade this winter for Cespedes. He has two years and $21.5 million remaining on his contract.
    Now some may think that he does not get moved, but Beane does this and always seems to get better.

vCash
    I called this months ago. His four year contract is backloaded so the remaining two years will be very expensive for Oakland. Classic buy low (pay low), sell high Billy Beane move. Would like to have him but I'm sure Beane will fleece whichever trade partner he finds.

vCash
    I'd take him. I am curious if they are seeking top talent in return, or if this is more of a salary dump. He had a pretty miserable first half, but was excellent down the final stretch. I would love to have him. His power would project well even in Citi. That is one of the things I worry about with Choo- power is part of what makes his game unique, but I am afraid he would become warning track power in Citi, and that he would basically become Daniel Murphy but with more walks. Cespedes' home runs would be home runs anywhere

vCash
    I'd definitely take him.

vCash
    They need a 2nd baseman.
    Just saying.

ďNinety percent Iíll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent Iíll probably waste.Ē
    - Tug McGraw, on his plans for his $75,000 salary

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyJerZ View Post
    I'd take him. I am curious if they are seeking top talent in return, or if this is more of a salary dump. He had a pretty miserable first half, but was excellent down the final stretch. I would love to have him. His power would project well even in Citi. That is one of the things I worry about with Choo- power is part of what makes his game unique, but I am afraid he would become warning track power in Citi, and that he would basically become Daniel Murphy but with more walks. Cespedes' home runs would be home runs anywhere
    I expect Oakland is seeking both talent and a salary dump. His escalating salary isn't outrageous but he's two years from hitting the open market. They should be able to get decent/controllable talent for him. When he's hot he's hot, but he swings and misses way too much. Awesome power but no average so I'd be hesitant to give up too much. More if it was contingent on agreeing to an extension.

vCash
    Murphy? I don't think they'll make that deal.

vCash
    took a big step back last year, tread lightly. He'd still be the best outfielder on our team, but I don't see a trade happening unless we end up being the only team willing to take on cash and thats doubtful too because its not that much.
    "If we could talk about it and get (to the playoffs), it would've already been done. We know that talking won't get it done. We have to earn it." - Jets Coach Rex Ryan
    #hatersgonnahate

vCash
    I would like Cespedes, but I don't want to overpay. Beane has no reason to deal him unless someone overpays.

We need to focus on free agency. If they can come away with Choo and Peralta, then they can piece the rest together. They will be able to land some pitcher, between Arroyo, Hughes, Lincecum, Feldman, Jiminez etc. Arroyo is my top choice.

Once you add 3 guys like that we are pretty much at our "limit" of a $30M-35M offseason. I think the final piece, a LF will come via trade.

I was trying to find an OF that would meet our needs and was trying to compare the projected stats of our 2014 team to the Oakland A's in 2013. Assuming Ike can hit for power and we sign Choo & Peralta, we compare pretty well to the A's lineup.

d'Arnaund-Vogt
    Davis-Moss
    Murphy-Sogard
    Wright-Donaldson
    Peralta-Lowrie
    Choo-Crisp
    Lagares-Reddick
    ?-Cespedes

At the end of the day, you have to replace Cespedes' bat in our lineup for it to work. Cespedes was a 2.3 WAR player. I tried to find some trade and free agent targets that met that requirement who make 5M or less. I would love guys like Beltran or Cuddyer, but both will make more. Interestingly, I was drawn to the Padres' trade options.

They will have Carlos Quentin and Cameron Maybin back next year meaning they might have a logjam in the OF. 2 of their OF had WAR over 2.0 this year and are making nothing. That's Will Venable and Chris Denorfia.

Venable hit 22 HR and is under contract for 2 more years and posted a 2.9WAR. He's 30. He will make 4.25M annually the next 2 years.

Denorfia hit 10 HR is 33 and is under contract for next year. He will make 2.25M next year. He posted a 2.1 WAR.

I think you can get either of the two for not much in a trade. And WAR wise, both are solid investments. Just figure I'd toss some names out there that no one has really mentioned but I bet most teams are looking at hard this offseason statistically.

Both players are even split wise. Denorfia has more power against lefties since hes RH, and Venable against righties because he's LH.

I think Will Venable is a very intriguing trade option. He's 30, under control for 2 years and posted a 2.9WAR. He makes less than 4.5M. Hit more HR at home (PetCo) than on the road and hit 22HR on the year. His LH/RH splits are pretty even. His defense isn't the greatest, but with Choo in RF, Lagares in CF, he might be best optimized in LF in Citi. Just a suggestion.
    Last edited by yfern328; 10-09-2013 at 12:17 PM.

vCash
    Additionally check out Venable's first and second half triple slashes. The power was consistent and simply by getting more hits he was able to increase his production to rates where he was a very, very valuable player.

Pre All-Star: .224/.268/.423
    Post All Star: .315/.367/.549

He virtually had the same number of 3B, HR, BB, SO, SB in the same number of AB's. He literally increased his doubles and singles and turned it around. I would really take a second look at Venable as a possible trade target. He ended up posting an OPS of .906 in the second half that I think is the result of adjustments he made. All the other stats are consistent which shows his improvements.

vCash
    Additionally, perhaps dealing them Wilmer Flores allows them to shop Chase Headley. If you dealt Wilmer Flores along with a pitching prospect like Ynoa, I think we could land Venable and one of their pen arms.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yfern328 View Post
    Additionally check out Venable's first and second half triple slashes. The power was consistent and simply by getting more hits he was able to increase his production to rates where he was a very, very valuable player.

Pre All-Star: .224/.268/.423
    Post All Star: .315/.367/.549

He virtually had the same number of 3B, HR, BB, SO, SB in the same number of AB's. He literally increased his doubles and singles and turned it around. I would really take a second look at Venable as a possible trade target. He ended up posting an OPS of .906 in the second half that I think is the result of adjustments he made. All the other stats are consistent which shows his improvements.
    I doubt he's going anywhere. I would take him easily over Lagares.

vCash
    I'd love to have cespedes and I'd think with that big salary number the return would be decent but not overwhelming. I'd much rather have him given his age and power as opposed to any of the OF free agents that are out there. Although cespedes will cost a bit more.

vCash
    Eh...Beane is going to want a king's ransom for him (see: D'Arnaud, Travis). No thanks.

vCash
    Cespedes is my kind of player, doubt it happens though

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast