Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

The case for Jhonny Peralta

The case for Jhonny Peralta

One of the “good” things about being a “bad” team heading into the offseason is it’s easy to find ways to improve. Finding an upgrade over a 4-A player is a lot easier than improving on an average major league player, and the Mets were unfortunate enough to employ more of the former than most teams did in 2013.

Exhibit A: Mets shortstops were awful, and it’s likely the club will make some sort of effort to improve the position this winter. While some folks have floated the idea of a blockbuster trade for Troy Tulowitzki, there is one player out there who is far more realistic and should be the Mets’ No. 1 free-agent target this winter: Jhonny Peralta.

It’s hard to overstate how bad the Mets’ shortstops were this year, they “hit” .232/.296/.302 and were worth -0.1 wins above replacement, according to FanGraphs. In other words, they were worse than your typical Triple-A shortstop, which isn’t surprising, because pretty much any evaluator would tell you that Omar Quintanilla and Ruben Tejada are Triple-A quality. (Only the Cardinals, Yankees, Astros and Marlins got less from shortstops.)

Peralta, on the other hand, hit .303/.358/.457 for the Tigers this year and was worth 3.6 WAR, per FanGraphs, which ranked sixth in all of baseball despite serving a 50-game suspension for his involvement with the Biogenesis scandal.

“But he’s a juicer!” I’m sure some of you will say. But that could actually work to the Mets’ advantage. That stigma will probably drive his value down a bit, which means there will be fewer bidders for his services. Furthermore, Peralta, 31, has hit .278/.334/.438 over the past three seasons, so we know he’s not a fluke.

And let’s not forget Marlon Byrd, arguably the best free-agent signing of the Sandy Alderson era, was coming off of a PED suspension when the Mets signed him last year. So if you were cheering for Byrd when he was having his career year in orange and blue, it’s hard to be outraged by the idea of Peralta.

Peralta played left field in Game 3 of the ALDS for the Tigers in deference to Jose Iglesias, but all advanced metrics suggest that Peralta is actually a decent defensive shortstop, with both DRS and UZR rating him as at least average over the last three seasons. So even if he’s a little thicker around the middle than your typical shortstop, advanced metrics suggest he can hold his own.

The presence of Iglesias adds another element to Peralta’s appeal as a free agent. It seems like the Tigers have settled on the youngster as their shortstop of the future because of his incredible defense, and it’s obvious that Miguel Cabrera is locked in at third. Therefore, it’s extremely unlikely the Tigers will give Peralta a qualifying offer, meaning the Mets wouldn’t have to sacrifice a second-round draft pick to sign him.

Adam Rubin wrote the other day about the Mets trying to mimic the Red Sox’s model of a year ago by shopping for mid-level free agents who won’t cost them draft picks. No potential free-agent signing embodies that mindset more than Peralta. He’s good, he’s not that old, his perceived value is low and he would represent an enormous upgrade. If the Mets want to improve quickly, he’s a no-brainer.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/met...medium=twitter

“Ninety percent I’ll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent I’ll probably waste.”
    - Tug McGraw, on his plans for his $75,000 salary

vCash
    What makes Peralta and his fellow Biogenesis free agent Nelson Cruz so intriguing is this: Biogenesis shut down before the 2013 season began, and both men recorded strong 2013 campaigns.

So, to discuss this as cynically as possible, either the two men did just fine playing "clean," or they found something elsewhere that, like the Biogenesis products, managed to beat Major League Baseball's testing.

This differentiates them from last year's dicey free agent Melky Cabrera, the ex-Yankee and fellow Biogenesis client, who failed a drug test.

“Ninety percent I’ll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent I’ll probably waste.”

vCash
    I'd take Jhonny Peralta in a New York minute.

vCash
    We'd be silly not to make a run at him. He is an excellent SS and we were brutal. Someone is going to have to pay him. Why not us? We should be embarrassed if we are not able to bid against Detroit for players. It frustrates me how Detroit plays like a big market team and the New York Mets spend like we play in Detroit.

vCash
    IMO he should be their top FA target. I want to see the OF come via trade

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Same applies for Puello too, which is why I am not worried about him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    Same applies for Puello too, which is why I am not worried about him.
    That makes one of us.

Peralta's UZR at ss

So he has gotten better as he has gotten older. Coincidence...I think not.

vCash
    I'm not big on Peralta but the potentially lower value and no qualifying offer make him a lot more attractive. I just hope he's not one of the top two acquisitions they make.

vCash
    That makes one of us.

Peralta's UZR at ss

So he has gotten better as he has gotten older. Coincidence...I think not.
    He was never fast, so maybe his reads off the bat just improved.

vCash
    Or he is not getting winded playing an entire season.

vCash
    That's great. Biogenesis after all is the only front for PEDs in the entire world.

vCash
    Or he is not getting winded playing an entire season.
    Except he wasn't even on them this year. Steroids did nothing for Byrd last year.

vCash
    Except he wasn't even on them this year. Steroids did nothing for Byrd last year.
    You don't know that.

Also, Byrd had a career year this year power wise at the age of 36.
    You don't think that's a little suspicious.

vCash
    we have no idea if he was on them this year or to what extent his use was in the past

maybe last year he got caught with the female hormones and this year he just switched to the fake dick

vCash
    You don't know that.

Also, Byrd had a career year this year power wise at the age of 36.
    You don't think that's a little suspicious.
    No. I don't think it is. He's made changes to his swing and approach that has given him success. His swing was a mess last year while he was on roids and he was garbage with no power.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast