Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 134 1231151101 ... LastLast
    vCash

2013-14 Cavaliers Game Thread

To discuss all Cavs preseason and regular season games.

vCash
    Didn't realize Caron Butler was traded to the Bucks.

vCash
    Cavs look good in 1st Q of preseason game as they lead the Bucks 28-16. Got to see the Greek Freak come in for the Bucks too! Already see a difference with this squad as they finally play some defense. I think they are still far away from being where they want defensively, but hopefully by mid-season they get into a better rhythm.

vCash
    @JasonLloydABJ: As a side note, some lockers have been rearranged at Q. Jarrett Jack is right between Waiters and Irving. That's not coincidence
    @JasonLloydABJ: Not sure it's worth much but it's interesting Henry Sims entered before Diop. Ideally #Cavs would like to keep 1 big from Sims, Diop & Kadji
    @JasonLloydABJ: Bennett looks rattled. Missing FTs badly, airballed a 3ptr, clanked an earlier 3... Think he just has the jitters
    @SirFranksnBacon: Brown very active on sideline...more than Lebron era!
    @TheKennyRoda: Half - #Cavs 52 Bucks 38. Dion Waiters ends half with a thunderous throw down in half court set! Tristan Thompson 13p-7r & Kyrie 9p-2a
    In game updates. Getting excited for Cavs BBall.

vCash
    @JasonLloydABJ: Noticing a trend. Feels like every time Bucks make a 3, Mike Brown takes a timeout.
    Gonna miss the arms crossed Byron starring into nothingness.

vCash
    Karasev has a nice looking shot.

vCash
    The Greek Freak looks like he's legit.

vCash
    @JasonLloydABJ: Final: #Cavs 99, Bucks 87. Tristan 17pts, 8rebs; Varejao 10rebs; Irving 14pts, Waiters 12pts, Kadji 15pts. CLE 42%, 26 TOs, MIL 38%, 24 TOs

vCash
    Just preseason but we looked very dominant in the first half. 38-55 at halftime? I'll take that every game! This team is going to be able to score on anyone. The key will be defense. I think TT has been one of the most underrated Cavs. Seemed like last season he was consistently in double-double territory.

Still to early to judge Bennett. But I think he needs to lay off the 3-pt shooting. I saw him airball a few during the scrimmage and was 0-3 tonight. Very frustrating to hear people calling him a bust before he even played a game. People hated on Cleveland for the Irving, TT, and Waiters picks too. I think he will slowly make a good transition into the pro game, but shouldn't crack the starting lineup for a while.
    Last edited by FearTheRoo; 10-08-2013 at 10:12 PM.

vCash
    Cavs play Orlando on Friday. Also on FSO.

vCash
    Anthony Bennett (shoulder) shot 2-of-12 from the field in his debut on Tuesday, totaling seven points, 10 boards and one assist in 23 minutes.
    He missed all three of his 3-point attempts and didn't have his rhythm yet. Bennett's conditioning is reportedly not yet up to speed, so he's going to need every bit of training camp to acclimate himself to the pro game. He has a lot of tools, so he's a possible player to target late in drafts.
    http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/...l-player-news/

Gonna be a growth year for AB and it should be. He only played one year at UNLV where he rarely ever played defense so I could see it being hard for Brown to put him in certain situations. His conditioning is still very poor at this time which means his legs quite aren't there yet (good luck on perimeter shooting) so hopefully once that comes he can expand the floor more than what he was doing last night. He is going to be a big key in the Cavs pick and roll game moving forward once he gets everything clicking but right now the team will just need to be patient with him. He wasn't one of these rookies (not many guys are these days) that was going to come in and all of a sudden give you 30mpg and 20-25ppg and 8-10rpg. I see him more as a Speights type player this year where he will play around 20-23mpg and give them some offensive punch as a big off the bench which is one of the main reasons I think they drafted him because they saw how much the offense can gel when they have that on the second unit.

Remember too that he has added weight in the offseason to try getting bigger body size to take the beatings that a big in the NBA will take since Brown has stated multiple times that they will mainly play him at the 4 this year and don't want to have to force him playing the 3. This could take a little playing time to get used to especially with his outside game.

vCash
    Right-handed Tristan Thompson shot 7-of-10 from the field in his first preseason game for 17 points with eight boards, three assists and one block in 25 minutes.
    It was a nice start for Thompson and it's obvious he put in the work to make such a bold move switching from his left to right hand. He made some nice strides in his second year and could continue to improve this year as the team's starting power forward. If Andrew Bynum misses a lot of time, Thompson could be a very reliable fantasy big, but his percentages will be a bit of an enigma until we have a nice sample size.
    Anderson Varejao grabbed 10 boards in his return to the lineup on Tuesday, scoring four points with one assist, two steals and one block in 21 minutes.
    He was a rebound magnet before suffering a season-ending quad injury last season, pulling down an average of 14.4 boards per game. Varejao's fantasy value is tied directly to Andrew Bynum's status, so with Bynum without a timetable, Varejao could be off to a fast start. Although, we wouldn't advise reaching for him since he has injury problems of his own.
    http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/...l-player-news/

Also nice to see Andy back on the floor.

vCash
    I was really pleased with how our guys looked last night. The amount of activity we had on the defensive end of the floor was refreshing to see. It's not all that pretty yet, which is understandable, but you can see the effort and the focus from our guys that wasn't there last year. Offensively the most important thing for me was seeing Kyrie and Dion look comfortable together. For the most part they kept the ball moving and didn't try to play hero ball until they either got a mismatch or the clock was running down. They played off each other very well and seemed to have a better feel for how to put each other in a position to score. Bennett had a tough night but that's expected. He's trying soooooooo hard and putting way too much pressure on himself right now. He's reacting to the game rather than just playing within himself. The game is a little too fast for him but that's natural and he'll be fine once he starts getting a little more comfortable. Almost all rookies struggle with this at first, add in the fact that he's been cutting weight and exhausted as Otto mentioned and it's no wonder his jumper was off. Really positive first preseason game though.

vCash
    Whoa baby! It’s October! And you know what that means…Basketball!!!! Sure, it’s preseason, and sure, a bunch of roster fill played nearly the entire fourth quarter. But we’ve been without basketball for months, so I’ll take it.

And boy oh boy, the Cavaliers did not disappoint. The Cavalier starting 5 outscored Milwaukee’s 50-27 and the team showed clear improvement on the defensive end, holding Milwaukee to 37% shooting (largely augmented by the fourth quarter bench-fest). While there was (unsurprisingly) no Bynum appearance, the game did mark the return of a healthy Anderson Varejao, the unveiling of a right-handed TT, the first taste of NBA for three Cavalier rookies, including number one overall pick Anthony Bennett, and a slew of free agent intros, all of which came across as mostly positive.

The Good

Tristan Thompson’s Right Hand: No one could’ve expected THIS kind of improvement, right? 7-10, strong finishes, a certain confidence that had been lacking in the past, and even a fantastic ally-oop finish thanks to a great Kyrie pass (a realization of all our dreams?) Simply put, Tristan looked great on offense. If this is what we can come to expect, I’m beyond thrilled. Now lets get cracking on his post D!

Kyrie’s D: Yes, it’s still got lots and lots and lots of holes, there was a certain effort on the defensive end that had, shall I say, been lacking in the past. On one specific instance Kyrie got beat from the top of the key by Brandon Knight but, instead of giving up and allowing an easy score, stayed with his man, chasing him down for the steal. It’s this kind of effort that, when applied consistently, will lead to huge improvement on the Cavs

The Cavalier D in General: Seriously though, beyond good man D from Kyrie, the entire team showed vast improvement, rotating off of men properly, defending their assignment through the shot, and putting in FAR more effort than Cavalier fans are accustomed to. I figured Mike Brown would leave his mark on this team, just not this quickly. And how impressive was Dion? Awesome.

Anderson Varejao’s Everything: Sure, he didn’t shoot particularly well, but gosh darned I missed Andy! In just 21 minutes Andy managed 10(!) rebounds, including four on O. In addition, he was his usual disruptive self on D and smart, court-conscious self on the other side of the ball.

Karasev’s Passing: It’s the little things in life that make life worthwhile, and one little thing that stood out to me was Karasev’s court vision and passing-smarts, especially on a brilliant ally-oop to his fellow rookie Bennett. Maybe my expectations were a little too low, but Karasev looked far more polished on offense than I imagined he would

Jarrett Jack’s Presence: It’s already pretty clear that Jack was the kind of vet leadership the Cavs needed. The guy is a consummate pro; the kind of player who will shake off a bad shot and immediately make an impact on the next play. Glad he’s around.

CJ Miles On O: We pretty much know what to expect here, right? Sometimes he’ll look like this and we’ll all smile, and other times he’ll lay a giant egg and we’ll all pull our hair out.

Kenny Kadji: Uh, who? The highlight of the fourth quarter, Kadji showed incredible athleticism, good shot selection, and heads-up court vision. Kenny even appears to be a decent defender, closing out on his man and playing with toughness. One or two more games like this and I think we’ve found our 13th man. Or at least a nice D-League option.

The Bad

Anthony Bennett: Sure, we knew he couldn’t defend Nate’s daughter after a hardcore coaching session, but I figured he’d be a little more precise on offense. Bennett, who went 2-12 from the field and 3-8 from the line, showed definite athleticism and explosiveness, but his shot selection and touch were both lacking. He’s definitely a supremely talented player, but he remains very, very raw.

Dion’s Shot Selection: I’m going to keep this short – 4-11 isn’t good, especially given Dion’s supposed time spent this off-season improving his game. I still flinch when he shoots the ill-advised step-back jumper.

Dion and Kyrie’s Lack Of Off-Ball Movement: One thing I watched for and was disappointed in was the lack of off-ball movement by Kyrie and Dion. We’ve all acknowledge how important that facet of the game will be to the growth of Cavaliers, since both players are currently better with the ball in their hands. Lets hope we see more and more of it as the preseason goes on.

The Rest

Earl Clark: He was…um…fun? Or Cool? This was definitely a very Earl Clarkian game. I can live with it.

Carrick Felix: Against the bench bunch, Felix looked like a definite pro. He’s a decent defender and didn’t take any abysmal shots. He’ll probably spend a lot of the season in the D-League, but there could be some Danny Green-type potential here.

DeSagana Diop: Welcome back! Now get out.

Dion Waiter’s Dunk: I couldn’t find the video, but Thanks to commenter Jake for finding the video! http://www.sportsoverdose.com/video/...-a-slam-2.html WOW. Every time Dion does something like that, I remember why I love his potential so much.

Basketball is back, folks. And I couldn’t be happier.
    http://www.cavstheblog.com/?p=22578#more-22578

I could watch that Dion dunk over and over again. Also glad to see Giannis play well as he was a guy I liked following up to the draft process and the Bucks are not going to be a good team at all this season IMO. Could get ugly for them especially if Illyavosa misses extended time.

vCash
    It was nice to see Brown call a time out after many defensive miscues. Obviously, he won't be able to do that during the regular season and this is the perfect time to implement his system.

Page 1 of 134 1231151101 ... LastLast