Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

What NFL team should I root for? (British fan)

I have been following the NFL since 2007. When I first started watching I claimed to support the NY Giants because they were the only team I had heard of and had won the Super Bowl that year.

Over the years I have watched NFL on and off, but have taken a great interest this year. I don't follow the Giants anymore and I want a team to root for that matches most of my criteria:

- Not a team that would make me appear a bandwagon fan
    - A team that hasn't won more than 3 SBs
    - A team that is likely to win a SB within the next 5yrs
    - A team with a good, young squad, fast WRs, a promising young QB, and an exciting style of play
    - A team with good fans (no hooligans, no fans that boo their team) good, loyal fans who turn up no matter the circumstances
    - A team that plays in a city that would be worth me travelling all the way from the UK to visit
    - A team that plays in a nice, modern stadium

Teams I know I dislike/hate:
    - Oakland Raiders
    - New Orleans Saints
    - Tampa Bay
    - Miami Dolphins
    - Jacksonville Jags
    - Detroit Lions
    - Dallas Cowboys
    - Houston Texans
    - New York Jets
    - San Diego Chargers

It's too hard for me to decide. I like the following 5 the most:

In no particular order
    1. Seattle
    2. Denver
    3. Atlanta
    4. Washington Redskins
    5. Colts

Who would you advise?

Cheers

vCash
    With the Jaguars planning on playing a bunch of games in London over the next few years, they might be a good choice.

Too bad they don't meet any of the other criteria

Chicago Bears #23
    Kyle "Cheetah" Fuller

vCash
    Fan from Belgium myself here, Colts fan for a while now. The great thing is i can watch multiple games this year because of the earlier starting times.

vCash
    Although they don't have a Queen, I would say New England.

You can root for Plymouth Rock, the Nina, Columbus, the Patriots and day you got rid of all the Americans.

Meanwhile, we celebrate the day we left.
    Last edited by NYSPORTS98; 10-08-2013 at 04:46 PM.

vCash
    Good luck finding a team without hooligan fans not named the Green Bay Packers or Buffalo Bills. I'd say root for the Minnesota Vikings as they have great fans, are on the way up, and have a long history in the league.

If the city is the more important factor for you I'd say go with the San Francisco 49ers or the Seahawks. The bandwagon thing is kinda out the window anyway as you suggested Seattle and Denver, who have both risen to the top of the league in the last couple years.
    Last edited by HoodedSB; 10-08-2013 at 04:44 PM.

vCash
    I suggest just watching a few games of different teams and decide on your own. Im sure it will come to you

vCash
    I recommend not letting other people choose who you root for.

Or root the Jets lol
    Go Knicks!

All time

vCash
    This thread screams Green Bay Packers and and here's why:

1) They have a relatively young QB in Aaron Rodgers (29) who is among the best at his position and is one of the most talented/consistent QB's in the NFL. (Career: 180TD-49INT, 65.8% completion percentage, 105.5 Rating).

Aaron Rodgers is currently in the first year of a seven-year $130.75 million contract, with $54 million guaranteed ensuring he will remain a Green Bay Packer for life.

2) The team plays one of the most exciting style of offenses that is one of the, if not the most pass-oriented offense in the League, and their QB able to pull it off.

3) The Packers' fan base is famously dedicated: regardless of the team's performance, every Packers game at Lambeau Field has been sold out since 1960 and have one of the longest waiting lists for season tickets in professional sports with about 86,000 people. The average wait time for season tickets is said to be over 30 years; For this reason, it is not unusual for fans to designate a recipient of their season tickets in their wills or place newborn infants on the waiting list after receiving birth certificates.

4)They have one of the most loyal NFL fanbases despite being situated within Brown County, which has a population of around 300,000 compared to other NFL teams who regularly have populations of millions, so its an NFL team which truly deserves the respect of everyone. The NY Jets are located in a market with tens of millions of people, but have no waiting list. (Maybe the NY Giants are stealing the fans? :P)

5) They are the only NFL team that is a public organization owned by its fans. They've only issued shares of the team five times in their history, with the last being offered in 2011 at $250 a share. Green bay packers stock pays no dividends, you benefits from no earnings, you can't sell it for money, you can't transfer it to anyone except family members. Fans just buy them to be proud owners of their team, no matter how expensive--and they still sell like hot cakes. Today this system of ownership is illegal but Packers corporation was grandfathered when the NFL's changed its ownership policy in the 1980's.

I would be a fan of the Green Bay Packers if I wasn't raised watching my NFL team. I grew up watching them since they are were in my market and they are the reason I got into Football in the first place, and I will be a fan of them until I die, but if I was in your situation with no loyalties I would pick the Green Bay Packers, and follow through.

Two things tho:

1) They are located in Green Bay Wisconsin, not exactly the most "exciting" place to visit in the U.S, but still its culture will be quite different than the UK, and Im assuming you wont make the trip alot since its quite a travel. (Maybe you can visit surrounding states?) I have lived in the east coast of the U.S. in a populated city, all my life, and I can tell you right now if I visit Wisconsin it would seem like another country to me.

2) They won 13 championships but 9 of them came before the Super bowl era, (Before 1969), not saying they don't count; but since you want few championships maybe this is a loophole lol; the number of "superbowls" they won is 4.

Good Luck with your decision with whatever team you pick!
    Last edited by xabial; 10-08-2013 at 06:27 PM.

vCash
    Given your list of criteria, I would say you have to go Atlanta or Indy.

vCash
    British Bronco fan here. Come join us!

vCash
    Colts. Sit back and watch Luck set the league on fire for the next 15 years.

vCash
    The choice is obviously the Redskins, and it's not even close. Wait, is anyone going to answer this question non-homer?

"Special" Teams

vCash
    I'd got Colts as well.

created by the one and only VCU
    Adopt-A-Viking: Adam Thielen
    Receptions: 4 , Yards: 57 , TD's: 0

vCash
    I’d like to say the Chargers… the British historically root for under dogs, as do I, “Charger of the Light Brigade!”

But you honestly asked and I’ll honestly answer, by your own criteria;

The Green Bay Packers – the “true Americas team” is always a great choice and Aaron Rodgers may not have even begun…

However, if you want to choose a team with great potential matching all your criteria; one jumps out, The Indianapolis Colts. Andrew Luck is an exciting young new QB just getting started and his teams getting it done on all levels. Even though he looks like he’s related to a yeti, they’d be fun to follow…

Also I’ve been to Indy, lotta fun there.

G/L

vCash
    I'd say Seattle or Washington. Colts are a good option also.
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champs

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast