Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

I say we DON'T go "all out" in 2014

I'll be honest with you. I'm not real thrilled with our options in this year Free Agents pool. I keep hearing all this talk on these boards about putting together a "solid" team. But putting together a "solid" team and "going all out" are 2 different things. Going "all out" gives me the impression that your shooting to contend not just play "solid". In order to be a World Series calibre team the ingredient you need within the team's makeup is not just "solid". You need "awesomeness".

That's why I'm not very thrilled with what is available via free agency. The only really awesome options out there, as far as options that fit our needs, are Cano, Choo, Ellsbury. Now there are some other good names on the market who could make some solid contributions. But again, if we're supposed to be going "all out" in 2014 we need "awesome" acquisitions, not just "solid" ones.

Again, the only names that fit that criteria in my opinion are Cano, Choo, and Ellsbury. And to be quite honest Choo for me just barely fits the "awesome" contribution criteria. His OBP is awesome. But he also has some not so awesome traits as well. But overall, would definitely be a significant improvement to our offense so I'd take him. Ellsbury is "awesome" but he's an injury risk also. That leaves us with Cano.

Cano is the only guy that would really be exciting to have. Because he would be the answer to what I believe is our biggest missing ingredient if we are to put together a contending team. Power. Now we have many needs. But imo, our greatest need is a consistent power bat in the lineup. Cano is the only "awesome" power bat on the market.

But as we all know, it's more than likely the Yanks are not going to let him go. Bummer. So that leaves us with Choo and Ellsbury, who don't fit the criteria for consistent-awesome-power-bat, but definitely improves our lineup significantly.

So my point to this whole diatribe is that I don't know if 2014 is the year to go "all out" just yet. I say go ahead and sign Choo (I'd personally prefer Ellsbury but looks like the Mets will go after Choo instead) but don't waste the rest of our money trying to sign a group of free agents who will make "solid contributions". I'd rather us continue to develop our young players and minor league talent to provide those solid contributions and save our money to sign "awesome" talent - like Cano, Choo, and Ellsbury type talent.

My other reason for this is because we already know that we will not have Harvey for 2014. And in order for us to contend we really need our "awesome" ace. So instead of going "all out", unless you're gonna get Cano AND Choo or Cano AND Ellsbury, I don't see much else on the market to excite me. Sure there's some other guys who can make some solid contributions but I'd rather us continue develop our homemade talent to make those solid contributions and use our saved up money to sign awesome talent possibly in 2015 when Harvey is back.

Anyways, that's the route I think the Mets should go. I'm tired of all this talk about "solid contributions". I want something better! We should be demanding for something better.

vCash
    saved up money to sign awesome talent possibly in 2015

>>>There's no awesome talent in 2015, it's worse than this year.

vCash
    So you're prepared to watch another awful team? Next years free agent class is much worse aside fron the ss position.

Mets need to sign choo and trade for an outfielder

If they got choo&ethier&abreu&(fill in defensive ss till next year) then I'd be more then happy and think this would be a competitive team assuming the pitching repeats this years performance

vCash
    That's why we need to make trades. In the new MLB, trades are going to be more important than FA pick ups. Top talent will have to be developed or traded for, and then supplemental pieces added through FA

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    saved up money to sign awesome talent possibly in 2015

>>>There's no awesome talent in 2015, it's worse than this year.
    Well then I say we don't waste money in 2015 either. It's all about spending your money wisely. I'm tired of Oliver Perez type contracts. Let's use our money to do Carlos Beltran, David Wright type contracts. Contracts for guys that will make a real impact on our team. As far as guys who can make solid contributions here and there let's let those be our homemade talent and then once they've proven themselves to be consistent contributors let's use our money to KEEP our talent.

I'm tired of us signing overhyped guys who don't earn their contracts and then we wind up waiting a few years for their contracts to be off the books. Now that we have some money to spend I say we use that money to:

1. Sign proven, awesome talent.
    2. Keep proven homegrown talent.

This is what the World Series/Joe Torre Yankees did. Why can't we do the same when we're a big market New York team? Why must we continue to settle for mediocrity?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rebuilding View Post
    So you're prepared to watch another awful team? Next years free agent class is much worse aside fron the ss position.

Mets need to sign choo and trade for an outfielder

If they got chooğier&abreu&(fill in defensive ss till next year) then I'd be more then happy and think this would be a competitive team assuming the pitching repeats this years performance
    You see this is what I'm talking about. Eithier is not the impact power bat that we so badly need. Sure he's a decent contributor but he excites no one. Why do we have this mentality that we must settle for something that's decent or ok but not something excellent and great? We finally got some money to play with and you guys want to waste it on guys that's not going to put our team in contender status.

vCash
    Seriously, we should be going after Cano.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetsOptimist View Post
    I'll be honest with you. I'm not real thrilled with our options in this year Free Agents pool. I keep hearing all this talk on these boards about putting together a "solid" team. But putting together a "solid" team and "going all out" are 2 different things. Going "all out" gives me the impression that your shooting to contend not just play "solid". In order to be a World Series calibre team the ingredient you need within the team's makeup is not just "solid". You need "awesomeness".

That's why I'm not very thrilled with what is available via free agency. The only really awesome options out there, as far as options that fit our needs, are Cano, Choo, Ellsbury. Now there are some other good names on the market who could make some solid contributions. But again, if we're supposed to be going "all out" in 2014 we need "awesome" acquisitions, not just "solid" ones.

Again, the only names that fit that criteria in my opinion are Cano, Choo, and Ellsbury. And to be quite honest Choo for me just barely fits the "awesome" contribution criteria. His OBP is awesome. But he also has some not so awesome traits as well. But overall, would definitely be a significant improvement to our offense so I'd take him. Ellsbury is "awesome" but he's an injury risk also. That leaves us with Cano.

Cano is the only guy that would really be exciting to have. Because he would be the answer to what I believe is our biggest missing ingredient if we are to put together a contending team. Power. Now we have many needs. But imo, our greatest need is a consistent power bat in the lineup. Cano is the only "awesome" power bat on the market.

But as we all know, it's more than likely the Yanks are not going to let him go. Bummer. So that leaves us with Choo and Ellsbury, who don't fit the criteria for consistent-awesome-power-bat, but definitely improves our lineup significantly.

So my point to this whole diatribe is that I don't know if 2014 is the year to go "all out" just yet. I say go ahead and sign Choo (I'd personally prefer Ellsbury but looks like the Mets will go after Choo instead) but don't waste the rest of our money trying to sign a group of free agents who will make "solid contributions". I'd rather us continue to develop our young players and minor league talent to provide those solid contributions and save our money to sign "awesome" talent - like Cano, Choo, and Ellsbury type talent.

My other reason for this is because we already know that we will not have Harvey for 2014. And in order for us to contend we really need our "awesome" ace. So instead of going "all out", unless you're gonna get Cano AND Choo or Cano AND Ellsbury, I don't see much else on the market to excite me. Sure there's some other guys who can make some solid contributions but I'd rather us continue develop our homemade talent to make those solid contributions and use our saved up money to sign awesome talent possibly in 2015 when Harvey is back.

Anyways, that's the route I think the Mets should go. I'm tired of all this talk about "solid contributions". I want something better! We should be demanding for something better.

The problem is that we have very little young talent to develop at our biggest positional needs, or else those positions wouldn't be needs...

And because the 2015 free agent class is so weak, not signing anyone this year means we have gaping holes in the OF, 1B and SS for 2 years in a row. We cannot afford to do that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyJerZ View Post
    That's why we need to make trades. In the new MLB, trades are going to be more important than FA pick ups. Top talent will have to be developed or traded for, and then supplemental pieces added through FA
    Trades may end up being the way to go but again the same principle applies. If we must trade, we must make sure that what we get in return is awesome talent. But the flip side of that is what we will have to sacrifice to get that talent. That's why I wish we could just get the awesome talent we need through Free Agency.

vCash
    Oh, say can you see by the dawn's early light
    What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming?
    Whose broad stripes and bright stars thru the perilous fight,
    O'er the ramparts we watched were so gallantly streaming?
    And the rocket's red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
    Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there.
    Oh, say does that star-spangled banner yet wave
    O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

On the shore, dimly seen through the mists of the deep,
    Where the foe's haughty host in dread silence reposes,
    What is that which the breeze, o'er the towering steep,
    As it fitfully blows, half conceals, half discloses?
    Now it catches the gleam of the morning's first beam,
    In full glory reflected now shines in the stream:
    'Tis the star-spangled banner! Oh long may it wave
    O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

Play ball!!!!
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisound15 View Post
    The problem is that we have very little young talent to develop at our biggest positional needs, or else those positions wouldn't be needs...

And because the 2015 free agent class is so weak, not signing anyone this year means we have gaping holes in the OF, 1B and SS for 2 years in a row. We cannot afford to do that.
    Don't get me wrong. I definitely think we should spend for an item or two (like Choo). But considering what's available I don't think we should use our available funds to fill ALL of our needs. I'd rather us save that money when something exciting becomes available and in the meantime keep developing our young talent to fill gaps.

It's all about spending your money wisely.

vCash
    You see this is what I'm talking about. Eithier is not the impact power bat that we so badly need. Sure he's a decent contributor but he excites no one. Why do we have this mentality that we must settle for something that's decent or ok but not something excellent and great? We finally got some money to play with and you guys want to waste it on guys that's not going to put our team in contender status.
    So you don't think choo,ethier,abreu,hanley ramirez would make this team contender?

A lineup of
    Choo
    Hanley
    wright
    Abreu
    Ethier
    D'arnaud
    Murphy
    Lagares

would be an instant contender with the pitching the Mets will have by 2015

vCash
    Don't get me wrong. I definitely think we should spend for an item or two (like Choo). But considering what's available I don't think we should use our available funds to fill ALL of our needs. I'd rather us save that money when something exciting becomes available and in the meantime keep developing our young talent to fill gaps.

It's all about spending your money wisely.
    What young position players do you think will "fill our gaps". Guys like Dom Smith are at least 3-4 years away. Puello fits the bill but that's it. I'll be happy with Choo, Drew, SP, Cruz/Abreu. If we can trade for a Tulo/Kemp or CarGo that's even better.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rebuilding View Post
    So you don't think choo,ethier,abreu,hanley ramirez would make this team contender?

A lineup of
    Choo
    Hanley
    wright
    Abreu
    Ethier
    D'arnaud
    Murphy
    Lagares

would be an instant contender with the pitching the Mets will have by 2015
    I think we should get Choo. I'd pass on Ethier. We have no idea if Abreu's success in Cuba will translate in the Major Leagues. And H. Ramirez is not available till 2015.

I just think that we haven't reached a point where it makes sense to go "all out" just yet, unfortunately. Truse me, I want the Mets to go "all out" but I don't see the pieces available to justify throwing out a bunch of contracts left and right. So I just think it'd be best to save our money and be patient for better talent to come along and in the meantime continue to focus on developing our young guys.

I just don't want to have another Oliver Perez situation, a guy who never deserved the contract he was given.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzace137 View Post
    What young position players do you think will "fill our gaps". Guys like Dom Smith are at least 3-4 years away. Puello fits the bill but that's it. I'll be happy with Choo, Drew, SP, Cruz/Abreu. If we can trade for a Tulo/Kemp or CarGo that's even better.
    I just don't think that combination of guys makes a World Series calibre team.

And you guys keep bringing up Abreu and yet we don't even know if he can hit ML pitching yet.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast