Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Fangraphs - Postseason Experience Doesn't Help You

Quote Originally Posted by Monta is beast View Post
    How do I think [Kevin] Love helps his team lose? Terrible defense, chucker, basically a of version if Monta

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Guppyfighter View Post
    i don't really believe postseason experience of the individual means much, because some people learn from experience and others - not so much. but i do believe the collective experience of the group only enhances your chances. like everything else though, you still have to execute to win.
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

vCash
    Of course it doesn't....

Such a bold statement from a place where absolutes aren't exactly accepted. Have we came to a point of completely wanting to eliminate any human element? Do humans no longer experience overwhelming emotion?

Then to argue that a few rookies did just fine compared to some playoff vets really doesn't prove anything. The emphasis put on experience is most likely completely overblown but, allot of ex players aren't just saying this to say it. I imagine it helps some and others it doesn't and even if that help is just to be more relaxed.

I'd be on board with this if it was saying doesn't help as much as portrayed.

vCash
    Have we came to a point of completely wanting to eliminate any human element?
    Yes, and it's ****ing irritating.

Since I hear far more often that experience doesn't help in the age of numeros, I think it's become underrated. Not extremely underrated or anything, but there's no way experience doesn't help even a little. Consider winning an aggregate of many things - big and small. Talent, ability, and production mean more but that doesn't mean experience doesn't help.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by northsider View Post
    Such a bold statement from a place where absolutes aren't exactly accepted.
    I know. What's funny is that they use Leyland -- the bane of sabers everywhere -- to bolster their argument. And they use a hurt Miguel Cabrera, who not only can't hit Gray's fastball, but can't hit anyone's fastball in his current state.

Have we came to a point of completely wanting to eliminate any human element? Do humans no longer experience overwhelming emotion?
    That's all narrative. It has no place in baseball analysis.

I'd be on board with this if it was saying doesn't help as much as portrayed.
    Therein lies a big part of the disconnect between numbers-crunchers and the rest of us. A lot of sabers make these sweeping statements such as players never get locked in, or that they aren't affected by clubhouse dynamics, which seems to be the opposite of what we know goes on in every other human endeavor.

The best sabers -- the smart ones -- say only that numbers cannot show these things. Unfortunately, their movement has been taken over by idiots like Rob Neyer and Keith Law, who think if it isn't shown in statistics, it's absolutely not true.

vCash
    Victory Faust's characterizations of the "number-crunchers" are about as objective and accurate an assessment as your normal Green Monster denizens' opinion of the Yankees.

I do not know any sabr-heads who, utilizing statistical analysis, advance arguments disputing that players are influenced by club-house dynamics for instance.

vCash
    This is not a shocking revelation.

vCash
    The problem with the people saying we are taking away the human element is they are talking about psychology. They are applying their arm chair psychology, slightly projecting, and then saying it matters. They have no actual understanding of psychology, but they think we should listen to them when they bring it up.
    How do I think [Kevin] Love helps his team lose? Terrible defense, chucker, basically a of version if Monta

vCash
    The problem with the people saying we are taking away the human element is they are talking about psychology. They are applying their arm chair psychology, slightly projecting, and then saying it matters. They have no actual understanding of psychology, but they think we should listen to them when they bring it up.
    what a load of crap. agree with the article but this post right here is a load of crap. oh tell us wise professor, please explain what us uneducated folk be missing.

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamiecballer View Post
    what a load of crap. agree with the article but this post right here is a load of crap. oh tell us wise professor, please explain what us uneducated folk be missing.
    If you are trying to talk about and including a field you have no grasp on you probably should not be talking about that sport. Arm chair psychology is ****ing awful and you might as well be skip bayless when you do that.

vCash
    If you are trying to talk about and including a field you have no grasp on you probably should not be talking about that sport. Arm chair psychology is ****ing awful and you might as well be skip bayless when you do that.
    well by that logic you have no right to have any insight on baseball as i assume you are not a major league player. hell if being a paid professional in that field is required to have a valid opinion or insight you may as well shut the whole forum down.
    Last edited by Jamiecballer; 10-08-2013 at 09:23 PM.

vCash
    psd - now open only to professional athletes and mental health professionals as per Guppyfighter

vCash
    psd - now open only to professional athletes and mental health professionals as per Guppyfighter
    Or, we could try something so extreme as to try and be rational.

Anyone can post.

A post that is supported by evidence should be given more credence than one that is not and anyone arguing against a post should also post evidence.

vCash
    well by that logic you have no right to have any insight on baseball as i assume you are not a major league player. hell if being a paid professional in that field is required to have a valid opinion or insight you may as well shut the whole forum down.
    I hope you realize how asinine you are being.

vCash
    well it snot like the game is sudden;y different. thats just fan talk, it means little to the players
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast