Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

BREAKING: Lavy Fired; Berube Signs Two-Year Deal as New Head Coach

Cant say im shocked. Actually said to my parents last night that i wouldnt be shocked if he was gone by Friday. Guess i was a few days off.

Odd that theyd go all offseason with him and then fire him just 3 games in, but this is the Flyers.

Discuss.
    Last edited by phillyeaglesman; 10-08-2013 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Berube officially named HC

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyeaglesman View Post
    Cant say im shocked. Actually said to my parents last night that i wouldnt be shocked if he was gone by Friday. Guess i was a few days off.

Odd that theyd go all offseason with him and then fire him just 3 games in, but this is the Flyers.

Discuss.
    It's a bit surprising. That being said, 3 goals in 3 games is not acceptable for a team with this much offensive firepower.

They have looked flat, their forecheck has been a joke and the defense can't seem to make even the simplest of plays. The lone bright spot has been the play of Mason and Emery, who have come up pretty big in these first few games. I can only think of 1 or (maybe) 2 soft goals allowed, which is shocking for Flyers fans accustomed to 2 per game.

vCash
    talked about in another thread too ... maybe we can consolidate but if not ...

this is very deserved ... lavy hasn't done much with player development either, hope homer is next and then our vets will want to be shipped out too (and would lift their no-trade clauses themselves)

we should rebuild as much as possible and sell assets such as kimo, hartnell, streit, mez, grossmann, coburn, and talbot ... everyone of those guys should be asked to lift their NTC or NMC and try to move them ... this team should be in full rebuild mode

vCash
    we're overrating our own talent too - a majority of the team is borderline 5/6/7 forwards

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by castan_b View Post
    we're overrating our own talent too - a majority of the team is borderline 5/6/7 forwards
    I don't think we're overrating our talent.

Giroux is a legitimate top-10 player in the NHL.
    Voracek (today) is one of the top-5 RWs in the NHL (by the NHL.com classification).

Hartnell is overrated. I'll agree completely there.

I've been impressed with Lecavalier thus far in the season -- he's been active in the offensive end, he's generated some good scoring chances and he's been physical down low. Should only improve as he develops chemistry with our wingers and d-men.

Simmonds and Schenn, today, are second line wingers with excellent upside. I think if Hartnell goes, we'll see Simmonds flourish. He's more skilled than Hartnell and (I think) has more natural scoring acumen. Putting him with Giroux and Voracek could be a recipe for success.

Couturier needs to show us more. He's been more assertive in the corners so far this season, but I want to see him pull the trigger.

Rinaldo has also developed into (in my opinion) the best energy-bowling ball in the NHL. His hits are clean, he's flying around the ice and he's getting under opponent's skin. He's been awesome in his role this season -- now if only we could avoid stupid penalties so we could keep him on the ice.

vCash
    Very surprised by this. Not really sure what's going on though. I mean the team can score they just aren't doing it. Just wondering what kind of game plan chief has

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post
    Very surprised by this. Not really sure what's going on though. I mean the team can score they just aren't doing it. Just wondering what kind of game plan chief has
    anything is better than lavy's zone to zone entry/exit strategy ... there wasn't one or it was G/Kimo bring the puck up

hartnell, steit, and kimo should all be approached - asked to lift their no trade clauses and start the auction to the highest bidder - moving them immediately ... they are of no value in the next 2 years and will be useless after the next two years

this rebuild is going to SUCK

vCash
    This is absolutely stupid.

Three games? Jesus Christ. Holy over reaction, Paul Holmgren
    #WhyNot?

People ask me, "Why here? Why Kentucky?", I said "Why not"? It can be done here. It will be done here. Lay the foundation. Recruit and develop. Prepare to win. Day by day. Play by play. A new era of high performance. Why Kentucky? Why not? -Mark Stoops

vCash
    Two major flaws with this team IMO: gap control and forecheck. Other minor teoubles as well, but to me these are the biggest issues.

Forwards and D are way too far apart on breakout plays. I mean they arent even in view. Its like they are looking for the homerun pass every time down the ice, and thats just not gonna be there night in and night out, especially against trap teams or teams that can play some serious D.

The forecheck is abismal. You watch opponents come in hard against us, hungry for the puck. You watch us forecheck, and with a few exceptions here and there, its like we dont even reach the boards more than half the time. How can we send two guys in on a forecheck and neither of them are even in view u til the defenseman has turned around? Hardly ever come up with the puck on the forecheck.

So now Chief is taking over, at least in the interim. Ive seen a plethora of tweets out there saying how the players all love him and that theyll go through a wall for him. My question is, how much are things really gonna change as far as the lines and system are concerned? How much is he going to change the style of play? I mean hes been here since '07. So whats going to be different? Anyone have any idea?

Also, Vinny. He came here because he liked the idea of playing in an "attack" system. Lavy is gone. Is he gonna have a change of heart now and want out? I dont think he will especially since he signed long term, but i still think its a legitimate question.

How much really changes?

vCash
    Yes we look absolutely stupid right now. Before we just looked stupid. Now we look absolutely stupid.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post

this is homers' best move outside the draft in the last 2 yeras

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by elate View Post
    Yes we look absolutely stupid right now. Before we just looked stupid. Now we look absolutely stupid.
    you were right about firing lavy in the offseason

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post

Not only Holmgrem..... the calls to blow up the team are a bit much as well. We are only 3 games into the season and we are going to start calling for guys we just signed or extended to life their NMCs? We will be the laughing stock of the NHL. Everyone needs to take a deep breathe.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StryderSox View Post
    Not only Holmgrem..... the calls to blow up the team are a bit much as well. We are only 3 games into the season and we are going to start calling for guys we just signed or extended to life their NMCs? We will be the laughing stock of the NHL. Everyone needs to take a deep breathe.
    this isn't a 3 game problem - it is a 51 game problem ... last season counts too

the team has stagnated

we need to blow up the team of under-achieving vets

vCash
    Berube is the coach. No interim tag.

Not able to watch cuz im in class but apparently Snider is getting really agitated.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast