Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

White Sox To Pursue Curtis Granderson

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseb...randerson.html

Curtis Granderson makes sense as a free-agent target for the White Sox on two levels:

† He’s a left-handed hitter who slugged a combined 84 home runs in 2011 and 2012 and can play all three outfield positions. The Sox need offense, power and better defense in the outfield and covet a flexible roster of players who aren’t limited to one position, a la the Tampa Bay Rays.

† Granderson grew up in south suburban Lynwood and played high school baseball at Thornton Fractional South and college ball at UIC, which recently broke ground on a new baseball facility donated by Granderson. The
    campus is three miles from U.S. Cellular Field.

The Sox appear to have more than a passing interest in bringing Granderson home. A source told the Sun-Times the Sox will make a hard push for Granderson, 32, who will be a free agent for the first time and might come cheaper than expected because of two freak inju-
    ries that limited him to 61 games, seven homers and 15 RBI in 2013.

The Sox might be viewing
    Alejandro De Aza as a fourth outfielder — or as trade bait.

As the Sox were wrapping up a 99-loss season, general manager Rick Hahn said he would resist going for a short-term fix during the offseason and would strive for ‘‘long-term, sustainable success’’ instead. Because of his age and the money he might command, Granderson wouldn’t seem to fit into that plan. But for the right price, he would be the type of addition who could help make the Sox respectable again.

Granderson suffered a broken right forearm and a broken left pinkie from being hit by pitches this season. Agent Matt Brown acknowledged Granderson’s numbers will affect his market value. He also said the four-time All-Star wants to return to the Yankees.

If Hahn has his eye on Granderson, he’ll try to fly under the radar, following the Sox’ way of doing business. But that might be easier hoped for than done.

In what would be an even bigger catch and expense, the Sox also are tracking Cuban first baseman Jose Abreu, whose two-day showcase in the Dominican Republic last week was attended by vice president Ken Williams.

Abreu, 26, is viewed as a potential 30-homer, 100-RBI slugger, and the Sox need a first baseman, with Paul Konerko planning to retire
    after next season, if not sooner. The Miami Marlins, Texas Rangers, Washington Nationals, Pittsburgh Pirates, San Francisco Giants and Boston Red Sox are also interested, and Baseball America cites the Sox among the teams that make the most sense for Abreu.

The Sox entered the 2013 season with a payroll near $119 million, but they have only $48.25 million in 2014 salary commitments (not counting players eligible for arbitration), so Hahn has flexibility. In August, Williams said he wanted to see more of Abreu.

‘‘If it’s big money it’s big money,’’ Williams said then. ‘‘Can we fit it into our equation? We’ve gone out and spent money before at given times. It has to fit into the current equation and our three-year look.’’

Williams declined to discuss Abreu on Friday.

If the Sox are going after players such as Abreu and Granderson, some will believe it when they see it. Another major-league source is skeptical about them spending a lot this offseason.

Granderson ‘‘has good things going in his favor,’’ the source said. ‘‘He’s a Chicago kid with a name on the back of the jersey to create a buzz. Are they going to come up with the cash? I don’t see that happening.’’

Second- and third-tier free agents and Rule 5 draft picks might be more in line with Hahn’s plan.

‘‘Everything points in the direction that they’re downsizing,’’ the source said. ‘‘They don’t need one [free agent]; they need about six.’’

vCash
    For a 1 year deal to prove he is still healthy I wouldnt be against it. Definitely dont want to give him some long term high dollar contract. 1 year 10M, he proves he still a good player than we trade him at the deadline.

vCash
    He's a glorified platoon player offensively, but in combination with his defensive ability he could be useful.

He'd be a good risk just to flip him on the deadline for a spec

vCash

Depending on terms, I wouldn't mind it. I'd go max 3 years preferably 2 in the $10-12M range.

But if Granderson is brought in, then Abreu needs to be as well.

vCash
    Would make DeAza expendable. I would hope they offer him only a 1-2 year deal with a team/mutual option for another year.

vCash

Exactly Prez

vCash
    Bring him home Hahn

vCash

I wouldn't mind Granderson or Beltran.

vCash
    Granderson is looking for 3 years at $14 a year, with only the first year guaranteed; $5 million buyouts for years two and three.

vCash
    With a couple or 3 good pickups and some solid pitching....this team can be real good again. Don't think we have to wait 3 or 4 years...because that time never comes. See all long term losing teams.

White Sox & Redskins Forever

vCash
    sounds like a move we'd make

...but i guess i wouldnt mind it if for only a couple years

vCash
    I guess it's just because I hate everyone, but I think Granderson sucks and would be a complete waste of money.
    Quote Originally Posted by Impaler View Post
    Some posters like yourself don't understand how a single is better then a home run,
    #TWTW

vCash
    Depends on what he is asking for. If he is looking for Yankees type money, then forget it. If the price is right I also agree a one year deal to prove that he can play 140+ games.

vCash
    If the price was right it would be a solid move for you guys. But I just wish they would let Hahn rebuild and Kenny Williams step aside he's done enough to that farm system over the years.

vCash

You can't fully rebuild like the Cubs because they have a legit pitching staff basically ready to go. If they can plug and try to win while still building the farm is the best way to go.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast