Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Exclamation Cespedes next to hit the block?-Rockies interested?

Very interesting stuff here:
    Link

Owner Dick Monfort, in a letter to season-ticket holders last week, vowed not to rest until the Rockies won a championship. His letter was predictably met with criticism from fans, who are frustrated with the team's back-to-back last-place finishes in the National League West.

Monfort met with his front office staff last week in Scottsdale, Ariz. No major changes are expected, though assistant general manager Bill Geivett could assume more traditional GM duties. Manager Walt Weiss' contract situation should be resolved soon, with the possibility that he receives a multiyear deal, or a one-year deal with a club option.

Regardless of who is in charge which is always a hot-button issue for fans the Rockies

BLOG: ON THE ROX

Troy E. Renck and Patrick Saunders add analysis and notes to this blog focusing on the Colorado Rockies.

need better players. Monfort said that Michael Cuddyer is likely to play first base next season as the Rockies' look for a "big bat" for the outfield.
    As I dissected the free agent class Shin-Soo Choo is the top prize, but not in the Rockies' price range, and Nelson Cruz brings baggage and draft compensation a trade must be explored.

Here's a name to file away given the need, the fit, and the Rockies' success in trading with Oakland in years past: Yoenis Cespedes.

ESPN's Buster Olney wrote that he expects Oakland to be proactive in seeking a trade this winter for Cespedes. He has two years and $21.5 million remaining on his contract. He misses chunks of games, but the Rockies have some depth with Charlie Blackmon and Corey Dickerson around. Cespedes brings power, belting 104 extra-base hits in his first two big-league seasons. The Rockies would have to part with top prospects, and, in my opinion, pitching and second baseman Josh Rutledge would be a good starting point.

The Rockies need power and athleticism. Cespedes doesn't solve all of their problems, but trading for him would go a long way in shaping a productive offseason.

vCash
    I highly doubt cespedes gets moved.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by agureghian View Post
    I highly doubt cespedes gets moved.
    I think he does since they owe him about 60% of the original contract, plus they have guys like Choice who are close.

vCash
    The Rockies got good spects to deal if they want. Not going to deal Dahl or Gray but Rossell Herrera or Eddie Butler and Tom Murphy- one of the best Defensive C's in the minors could work.

vCash
    choice is still unproven...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by agureghian View Post
    choice is still unproven...
    Billy Beane knows what he's doing. I am not arguing against you, but if he makes a trade, he will get the most value for his player(s).

vCash
    Beane tends to trade pitchers more than hitters. Don't see it happening, not while the team is competitive.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaban View Post
    I think he does since they owe him about 60% of the original contract, plus they have guys like Choice who are close.
    Doesn't matter what % is left, the A's payroll is still flexible.

vCash
    i dont see it happening
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    I guess i'll be the black swan here. I've thought for most of the second half that one of cespedes and reddick will be moved. And with Cespedes defense not the greatest I can see it.

But I do agree Beane moves pitchers more than hitters.

Come to psd where admitted dupes who do nothing but troll the gd and fs forum are free. But man don't you dare mention trolling on someone's wall.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewer94 View Post
    Billy Beane knows what he's doing. I am not arguing against you, but if he makes a trade, he will get the most value for his player(s).
    Like the time he traded Andre Ethier for Milton Bradley, or Aaron Harang for two months of Jose Guillen who sucked the whole time, or when he traded Hudson for Dan Myers. Or when he traded CarGo for Holliday, and they Holliday for Brett Wallace.

I'm not saying he is bad at making trades, and if you trade enough veterans for good minor leaugers your going to hit on some good players. But he has made some really bad trades too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaban View Post
    Like the time he traded Andre Ethier for Milton Bradley, or Aaron Harang for two months of Jose Guillen who sucked the whole time, or when he traded Hudson for Dan Myers. Or when he traded CarGo for Holliday, and they Holliday for Brett Wallace.

I'm not saying he is bad at making trades, and if you trade enough veterans for good minor leaugers your going to hit on some good players. But he has made some really bad trades too.
    I don't think we make the playoffs without Bradley that year

The cargo for holiday yea that sucked and I think he'd admit it was a bad trade.

The hudson for myers trade yea looking back didn't work but we weren't keeping him. It was a pretty good haul at the time, not quite the mulder haul but a good haul none the less, and we still went to the playoffs this year.

Come to psd where admitted dupes who do nothing but troll the gd and fs forum are free. But man don't you dare mention trolling on someone's wall.

vCash
    If beane trades Cespedes its because he feels hes gotten maximum value from him and will get a valuable package

lol, small kid got tripped by a tuba player

vCash
    I think Cespedes is overrated. He hit .240, had an on base percentage under .300 and his OPS was .737. Not great for a leftfielder. Sure he hit 26 homers and the allstar derby made him more popular, but if Beane can upgrade the A's by trading him I don't see why he wouldn't.
    Just my 2 cents worth.

vCash
    Do the Rockies still want to move Cargo? I'm not sure I understand their interest here if that is the case.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast