Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

State of the secondary. Breakout coming?

Scott Bair, CSNBAYAREA.COM 10/05/13

The Raiders have played four games and still don’t have an interception. Charles Woodson normally has a few of his own by this point.

When it comes to catching errant passes, the Raiders have drawn a blank.

It’s a source of immense frustration for a talented, yet unlucky secondary heading into Sunday’s game against the San Diego Chargers, but it isn’t a reason to panic.

The Raiders believe they’re doing what’s necessary to take a pass away, yet haven’t been rewarded for it.

“We’re all hungry for it,” Raiders coach Dennis Allen said. “I don’t know when it’ll happen, but it’s going to happen. We have too many good players back there in the back end of the defense for it not to happen. We just have to keep working, keep plugging, and look for our opportunities and take advantage of them when we have those opportunities.”

Interceptions are part skill, part luck. Sometimes a quarterback throws a football right to the wrong guy. Some times the ball’s tipped, and others a defender makes a great play. The Raiders have been close on several occasions and haven’t secured possessions. Despite drawing a blank, the Raiders can't let frustration impact their play.

“The more you press, the worse you play,” Raiders strong safety Brandian Ross said. “I can’t believe we don’t have a pick yet, but it’s a fact. We’re playing well and we’re putting ourselves in position to do so. That’s the comforting part. We just haven’t got one yet. When we get an interception, my guess is they’ll come in bunches.”

They’ve come often against San Diego Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers in recent seasons. He’s thrown double-digit interceptions the last three seasons, with a career-high 20 in 2011. This year, Rivers isn’t making the same mistakes. He has just two to accompany 11 touchdowns in four games, thanks in large part to a new scheme that allows him to audible more and throw deep far less.

The Raiders need to coax Rivers into bad decisions -- a solid pass rush would help -- to break a streak no defender wants to own. Only the Pittsburgh Steelers share this ominous, interception-less distinction, and the Raiders hope to take a pick on Sunday.

“We always talk about who’s going to get the first pick, about who wants the first pick,” Raiders cornerback Tracy Porter said. “It’s all about who wants it more. At the end of the day, we just have to get our hands on the ball. We have zero interceptions and it’s coming up on Week 5. Something has to change. We have to attack the ball more than we’ve been doing.”

"Just Win Baby!"

vCash
    INT's will eventually come our way, but I'm not gonna hold my breath for a break out performance. Just seeing guys improving (Hayden, Jenkins) is what I'm looking for.

vCash
    They are ranked 14th in the league, and they've endured a lashing from Manning. Not bad, and a huge difference from last year.

vCash
    River looks like his old good ways and is playing very well this season. If we can slow down SD's pass and get a INT that would be a great.

I worry who is going to cover Gates however. I don't see anyone who can match up with him physically going over turn middle.

vCash
    Houston's been getting a ton of love by experts lately. I hope he makes rivers forget what the word love means. I just wish he lays him the **** out. Funny thing is I don't get as pumped for this game than I do for broncos/chiefs games? I think this is the weakest rivalry we have. I respect and hate the broncos and chiefs because we are division rivals and they have history and mean a lot to the NFL. They have been successful organizations. Wtf are the chargers? The only reason I actually hate them is because rivers is a cry baby *****, if he wasn't even on that team I'll just look at the chargers with irrelevance. Does anyone else feel that way?

Yall let me slip?!?!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider_Vet View Post
    River looks like his old good ways and is playing very well this season. If we can slow down SD's pass and get a INT that would be a great.

I worry who is going to cover Gates however. I don't see anyone who can match up with him physically going over turn middle.
    I concur. He and Rivers are back to their retro selves.

I believe that Charles will be taking on the duty from time to time.

vCash
    A good pas rush would help us get a few INTs. Blitz a good QB like Manning and they will roast you. Get a good rush without blitzing and you get more picks.

vCash
    I like this group. I feel they will only get better.

Charles Woodson, best signing ever!

I bet the Fortywhiners and Donks are kickin themselves for not signing him- or will be.
    Last edited by NavajoRaiderfan; 10-06-2013 at 12:27 PM.

"Just Win Baby!"

vCash
    whoever wrote this article is freaking Nostradamus.