Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Offseason Ideas

vCash

Offseason Ideas

I had a trade idea wanted to see what people thought of it. Send BP, Chap and top ten prospect not named Stephenson or Hamilton to Marlins for Stanton. Money wise it helps the Reds. Marlins can put some major peices in the works for a rebuild with a potential top of the rotation guy in Chapman and a position player in his prime in Phillips. I know a lot of people love BP including myself but Stanton makes a lot of sence for this team. We would also save enough money to go out and resign Choo. Just a crazy idea don't get mad or call me names. It was just a thought I had.

Billy H. 2B
    Choo CF
    Votto 1B
    Stanton LF
    Bruce RF
    Mes. C
    Frazier 3B
    Cozart SS

Luddy is the 4th outfielder.

vCash
    I'm alright with trading BP if the team could find away to get another top hitter in the lineup. Not interested in trading Chapman. I wouldn't make a move that designates Ludwick the 4th outfielder.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stsparks72 View Post
    I'm alright with trading BP if the team could find away to get another top hitter in the lineup. Not interested in trading Chapman. I wouldn't make a move that designates Ludwick the 4th outfielder.
    I agree. I like BP, a lot of fans do, and he loves this city, but realistically, he's declining, and has been for a few years now. He's also more focused on RBI's than his OBP or anything else, which is annoying. He always speaks his mind, and this year, it was more of bad thing, because many people now see him as an *** hole.

Hamilton's defense is much better in CF than he was at 2B, so I don't feel confertable moving him back there.

As much as I would love to see Choo back, he's gone. That's why I didn't want to fall in love with him this season.

Hopefully whoever the new manager is, knows how to write a decent lineup. Because that's one thing I didn't like about Dusty. According to Dusty, speed was the most important thing in a leadoff hitter, walks would just "clog up the bases", and he would always bat struggling players 2nd. Another thing I didn't like was that he would love to start struggling players, instead of giving them some time off.

1. Choo
    2. Votto
    3. Phillips
    4. Bruce
    5. Frazier
    6. Ludwick
    7. Cozart
    8. Hanigan

This would have been a much better lineup for the playoff game. I honestly would have swapped Robinson for Ludwick though, because Ludwick really struggled this year.

vCash
    I dont think Choo is going to be back either.

I do agree with trading Phillips though.
    After that interview with him came out and he started calling people out and calling people out, i dont think the clubhouse was quite the same after that honestly.

He will eat up the teams salary for the remainder of his contract and that coupled with his decline in play, as jlohm1 pointed out, will drop his future trade value and cost us much more in the long run.

Maybe we can bolster our farm system if we trade Phillips while his defense is still stellar and he had over 100 RBI

Then we can sign someone like Omar Infante to a 1-2 year contract with option for an extra year to sure up the two hole behind Hamilton.

vCash
    Chapman for Stanton has been a trade I'd love to see for some time now...We need a true cleanup hitter between Joey and Jay.

GODS OF JUICE

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Freel for prez View Post
    Chapman for Stanton has been a trade I'd love to see for some time now...We need a true cleanup hitter between Joey and Jay.
    Bruce would have to move to Centerfield for at least a year until Ludwick's contract expired. That would designated Billy Hamilton as a 4th Outfielder for 2014. I wouldn't mind that move, hate to see Chapman go, but they are going to spend as much or more to keep him as they would for Stanton.

Lineup with Stanton.

Brandon Phillips
    Joey Votto
    Giancarlo Stanton
    Jay Bruce
    Ryan Ludwick
    Todd Frazier
    Devin Mesoraco
    Zack Cozart

vCash
    I don't see Chapman being traded honestly.

However, the more I think about it, the more I think that Phillips will be traded. It only makes sense. Supposedly the ownership was unhappy with him about his outburst when C. Trent called him out about his OBP. Supposedly they were also unhappy with Dusty the way he handled it (sat back and smiled instead of stopping Phillips). I would also assume they were unhappy when he was interviewed and said his $72.5 million contract was a "slap in the face" because he wanted more of a Votto type contract. He always says he wants to play here the rest of his career, but yet when they were negotiating his contract, he made it will known that he wasn't going to take a pay cut, and that the Reds offer of 5 years wasn't enough.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlohm1 View Post
    I don't see Chapman being traded honestly.

However, the more I think about it, the more I think that Phillips will be traded. It only makes sense. Supposedly the ownership was unhappy with him about his outburst when C. Trent called him out about his OBP. Supposedly they were also unhappy with Dusty the way he handled it (sat back and smiled instead of stopping Phillips). I would also assume they were unhappy when he was interviewed and said his $72.5 million contract was a "slap in the face" because he wanted more of a Votto type contract. He always says he wants to play here the rest of his career, but yet when they were negotiating his contract, he made it will known that he wasn't going to take a pay cut, and that the Reds offer of 5 years wasn't enough.
    I find it interesting that the Reds are in the mix to sign Cuban defector Alexander Guerrero. He is a second baseman with some pop and would be paid considerably less. Plus Guerrero is about 6 to 7 years younger.

vCash
    This may be a bad idea...or the best one the Reds will hear.. To start with, there are only a handful of 2B's in MLB that have the offensive skills of Brandon Phillips.. Robbie Cano.. Pedroia.. there just aren't many out there.. The Reds have a couple of issues to deal with this offseason:

1. Shin-soo Choo is leaving..
    2. Brandon Phillips has numbers declining..
    3. Bronson Arroyo's contract is up..
    4. No manager

What can be done? Well, after the trade two box tops from a General Mills cereal for Giancarlo Stanton is discredited (as it should be.. pssst. Stanton will be the centerpiece to the Marlins everyday lineup...period). What are the realistic opportunities

Aroldis Chapman.. has the best upside in MLB as a closer.. DON'T FIX IT IF IT AINT BROKEN.. and don't trade him.. Who on the current Reds roster wants to face Aroldis in a game that matters?..

Shin-soo Choo will require a BJ Upton deal to stay.. Either pay.. or just offer him a QO and get the sandwich pick.. the sandwich pick appears to be the most likely outcome..

Brandon Phillips.. trade him to the Dodgers (who won't pay Robbie Cano $ 300 MM over 10 years..smartly) Let the Dodger pay Phillips the $ 50 MM still owed for the next four years..Perhaps have Dee Gordon (who can play 2B or move Cozart there ) as one of the keys to the deal.. add in Zach Lee and Corey Seagar.. The Reds replenish thier middle infield depth and add a MOR SP that is near MLB ready now..

Bronson Arroyo.. let him go..

Manager.. This is where you have to wonder what the Reds are really trying to accomplish.. There isn't a Tito Francona out there waiting for the phone to ring.. The Reds cheapness will probably come out here with the hiring of a first time MLB manager..perhaps someone like Sandy Alomar Jr or Paul ONeill... someone like that. IDK.. Whoever it is.. they need to have a 1 through 9 approach to generating offense because..the 3 run homer guys.. aren't going to last in the Red System..

Thoughts...?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GeronimoSon View Post
    This may be a bad idea...or the best one the Reds will hear.. To start with, there are only a handful of 2B's in MLB that have the offensive skills of Brandon Phillips.. Robbie Cano.. Pedroia.. there just aren't many out there.. The Reds have a couple of issues to deal with this offseason:

1. Shin-soo Choo is leaving..
    2. Brandon Phillips has numbers declining..
    3. Bronson Arroyo's contract is up..
    4. No manager

What can be done? Well, after the trade two box tops from a General Mills cereal for Giancarlo Stanton is discredited (as it should be.. pssst. Stanton will be the centerpiece to the Marlins everyday lineup...period). What are the realistic opportunities

Aroldis Chapman.. has the best upside in MLB as a closer.. DON'T FIX IT IF IT AINT BROKEN.. and don't trade him.. Who on the current Reds roster wants to face Aroldis in a game that matters?..

Shin-soo Choo will require a BJ Upton deal to stay.. Either pay.. or just offer him a QO and get the sandwich pick.. the sandwich pick appears to be the most likely outcome..

Brandon Phillips.. trade him to the Dodgers (who won't pay Robbie Cano $ 300 MM over 10 years..smartly) Let the Dodger pay Phillips the $ 50 MM still owed for the next four years..Perhaps have Dee Gordon (who can play 2B or move Cozart there ) as one of the keys to the deal.. add in Zach Lee and Corey Seagar.. The Reds replenish thier middle infield depth and add a MOR SP that is near MLB ready now..

Bronson Arroyo.. let him go..

Manager.. This is where you have to wonder what the Reds are really trying to accomplish.. There isn't a Tito Francona out there waiting for the phone to ring.. The Reds cheapness will probably come out here with the hiring of a first time MLB manager..perhaps someone like Sandy Alomar Jr or Paul ONeill... someone like that. IDK.. Whoever it is.. they need to have a 1 through 9 approach to generating offense because..the 3 run homer guys.. aren't going to last in the Red System..

Thoughts...?
    Cano is much much better than Phillips.

I don't see them trading Chapman... it keeps the fans happy. However, it's possible they trade him and let Broxton close.

vCash
    Votto + Frazier for Price + Longoria.

Trade Ludwick for whatever you can get.

Sign Martin Prado he can play 3B and LF (cost us about the same money as what we'll save once Arroyo is gone).

Sign James Loney to play 1B for a couple of years.

Start Hamilton in CF.

Starting Rotation for 2014

1. Cueto

2. Price

3. Latos

4.Bailey

5. Leake / Cingrani

That's as good as it's gonna get in the game from 1 through 5 !!

I really hate moving Votto but he's on the other side of 30 and his value will never be any higher! Moving him frees up a ton of $$$$ for future years and still gives us a chance to win a championship!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlohm1 View Post
    Cano is much much better than Phillips.

I don't see them trading Chapman... it keeps the fans happy. However, it's possible they trade him and let Broxton close.
    Better.. okay.. much much.. argument ensues.. Cano is the class second baseman in baseball..

Broxton's injury issues say that at least until the trading deadline as a healthy set up guy and, better yet, a full season back is needed before he should be considered for the vacated closer's role (in place of Chapman who could be traded). In short..like you said.. Chapman won't be traded.. the Reds fans are nutso over him.. and they should be.. the Cuban Missile brings electricity to the fans..

W/R the Votto/Frazier Price/Longo; Luddy; Prado, etc posting: The only part of the posting that made any sense was the inclusion of Homer Bailey in the rotation.. resigning him is implied..the rest of the posting is nonsensical drivel..

Thoughts..?

vCash
    Thoughts..?
    The Reds will hire a new manager. Everything else is speculative banter and just for fun.

vCash
    Better.. okay.. much much.. argument ensues.. Cano is the class second baseman in baseball..

Broxton's injury issues say that at least until the trading deadline as a healthy set up guy and, better yet, a full season back is needed before he should be considered for the vacated closer's role (in place of Chapman who could be traded). In short..like you said.. Chapman won't be traded.. the Reds fans are nutso over him.. and they should be.. the Cuban Missile brings electricity to the fans..

W/R the Votto/Frazier Price/Longo; Luddy; Prado, etc posting: The only part of the posting that made any sense was the inclusion of Homer Bailey in the rotation.. resigning him is implied..the rest of the posting is nonsensical drivel..

Thoughts..?
    Umm the reds need a power hitting right handed bat... thats LONGORIA.

The reds need actual hitters who make good contact with the ball and don't strikeout..thats PRADO.. plus he fills 2 needs a better 3B plus he can play LF.

Getting rid of Votto while his value is HIGH is SMART.

Price is probably going to be traded so why not package a deal like I mentioned.. it frees us up $$$ for players later on plus cash to resign some of the ones we have now.

Since we move Votto we'll need a 1B and Loney would be more than adequate and not cost alot of $$$. Plus he can HIT.

These are far from nonsensical obviously you don't watch the reds or know much about them.

You may not like the players I mentioned but they fit the needs of what this team needs!!

vCash
    Realistically speaking I don't know where the Reds can make a bunch of upgrades to their everyday players that will make a huge difference. Its fun to fantasize about making big trades, but that is not a reality. Shortstop and Centerfield are the positions that could see some changes. I don't think there is any question that Choo is gone and Hamilton will be the Centerfielder. So that leaves Shortstop. There is talk that Alexander Guerrero could play SS, that would be a power upgrade, not sure about his defense. Votto, Bruce, Ludwick, Phillips, Mesoraco, and Frazier will be starters next year. Granted there is some speculation that Phillips could be traded, but trying to replace a bat like Phillips would be nearly impossible.

Unless the Reds can sign Guerrero to play Shortstop I don't know what else they can "realistically" do. Based upon that assumption, here is the lineup I would like to see.

Billy Hamilton - CF
    Joey Votto - 1B
    Brandon Phillips - 2B
    Jay Bruce - RF
    Ryan Ludwick - LF
    Alexander Guerrero - SS
    Todd Frazier - 3B
    Devin Mesoraco - C

The bottom 3 in that lineup could be moved around according to how they are performing. Keep Cozart as a utility infielder on the bench.

You guys need to get on board with Guerrero, he is the one realistic option that the Reds have. Check out his fielding and hitting video HERE.
    Last edited by stsparks72; 10-13-2013 at 04:44 AM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast