Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Get to know Raiders rookie QB Matt McGloin

This kid is a Raider! I hope he continues to work hard and one day gets a shot!!! Watch the video and read the article... It's a good read...

http://www.raiders.com/news/article-...c-84cd858202b2

"The greatness of the Raiders is in the future..." ~ Al Davis

vCash
    Great video. It's a great beginning story, but we'll see how it finishes.

vCash
    Awesome story! I wish the kid nothing but the best, and am very happy that he is wearing Silver and Black! I am rooting very hard for Pryor, but I wouldn't mind seeing him get a shot as well.

vCash
    This kid has the best arm on the team, has the most natural motion, quick release, best instincts of the three. I have said that he looks a bit short out there, but I believe he can still be a starter in this league. Give him some time, some opportunities, I think he could surprise everyone.

vCash
    Big Toe, Brees is only 6', or 6'1" and he has NO TROUBLE carving secondaries apart. Too much worrying about height....if they can sling it, they can sling it.........and hopefully, in due time, he'll sling it....but I want TP to get every possible chance first......

vCash
    Drew Brees and Russell Wilson are "six feet" or under - some claim Brees is actually 5'11" and Wilson is acknowledged as 5'11".

It's a challenge for shorter QB's to find throwing lanes to see the field, but if they can, there's no reason they can't be successful.

What I've seen from McGloin, he's damned good at running a scheduled offense. Watch his highlight video (LINK - McGloin starts at ~4:00) to see what I mean.

On every throw, you'll see him hit his back foot and throw the ball. First play, 7 steps, PA - count to three seconds; the ball is out. Second play, 3 step drop; count to three seconds, ball is out.

That's the general trend. I don't know if he really has a feel for where that ball ought to be going, but he's damned sure going to get it somewhere - on schedule.

I watched the Browns play on Thursday night, and I realized how big that is. Brian Hoyer is a scrub (damned tragedy to see him lost for '14) - but it's impossible to defend a scheduled passing attack. Hoyer drops and throws, on time, on schedule; his backfoot hits and he starts his windup. The receivers haven't made their breaks yet, the defense knows it's going but they don't know where.

It's too fast for the defense to get pressure on the QB or collapse the pocket; DB's don't know where the receiver is going to go; the QB is ahead of the play and has faith that his receiver will be where he's expected to be... in 3 seconds, the ball is there.

Now, if Pryor can develop into that sort of QB, life will be good...
    Last edited by Shred003; 10-05-2013 at 08:54 AM.

vCash
    God help us if Pryor could deliver like that Shred. It's rough watching him read one progression...then panic and run. When he does look to deliver a quick hit, he's about 50/50 on tossing like a dead duck and nice pass. Either way, this is not a bad position to be in. If Pryor and McGloin continue to impress, that's one less position of need next year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Shred003 View Post
    Drew Brees and Russell Wilson are "six feet" or under - some claim Brees is actually 5'11" and Wilson is acknowledged as 5'11".

It's a challenge for shorter QB's to find throwing lanes to see the field, but if they can, there's no reason they can't be successful.

What I've seen from McGloin, he's damned good at running a scheduled offense. Watch his highlight video (LINK - McGloin starts at ~4:00) to see what I mean.

On every throw, you'll see him hit his back foot and throw the ball. First play, 7 steps, PA - count to three seconds; the ball is out. Second play, 3 step drop; count to three seconds, ball is out.

That's the general trend. I don't know if he really has a feel for where that ball ought to be going, but he's damned sure going to get it somewhere - on schedule.

I watched the Browns play on Thursday night, and I realized how big that is. Brian Hoyer is a scrub (damned tragedy to see him lost for '14) - but it's impossible to defend a scheduled passing attack. Hoyer drops and throws, on time, on schedule; his backfoot hits and he starts his windup. The receivers haven't made their breaks yet, the defense knows it's going but they don't know where.

It's too fast for the defense to get pressure on the QB or collapse the pocket; DB's don't know where the receiver is going to go; the QB is ahead of the play and has faith that his receiver will be where he's expected to be... in 3 seconds, the ball is there.

Now, if Pryor can develop into that sort of QB, life will be good...
    Agree 100% Shred and the QB's your talking about came into the game with a can do attitude. Being a QB is at making smart decisions being accurate and having a decent arm. To me the first two are the most important. Like you I hope Pryor continues to grow and become the QB we all want him to be but it's nice to have a kid behind him that wants it just as bad and has some skills that already make him a good QB...

"The greatness of the Raiders is in the future..." ~ Al Davis