Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Baseball America 2013 Leagues Top 20 Prospects Rankings

Baseball America named Dominic Smith No. 4 GCL prospect

September 24th, 2013 10:12 am
    Baseball America has tabbed first-round pick Dominic Smith as the No. 4 prospect in the Gulf Coast League.

Smith, the 11th-overall pick in the 2013 draft, hit .287/.384/.407 in 48 games in the rookie league. The first baseman had three home runs and 22 RBI in almost 200 plate appearances.

Smith will play in the Instructional League this season.

-sweet swing, good bat speed and pitch recognition
    -potential to be "plus hitter"
    -above average power potential
    -below average speed
    -gg potential at 1b

ďNinety percent Iíll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent Iíll probably waste.Ē
    - Tug McGraw, on his plans for his $75,000 salary

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Baseball America named Dominic Smith No. 4 GCL prospect

September 24th, 2013 10:12 am
    Baseball America has tabbed first-round pick Dominic Smith as the No. 4 prospect in the Gulf Coast League.

Smith, the 11th-overall pick in the 2013 draft, hit .287/.384/.407 in 48 games in the rookie league. The first baseman had three home runs and 22 RBI in almost 200 plate appearances.

Smith will play in the Instructional League this season.

-sweet swing, good bat speed and pitch recognition
    -potential to be "plus hitter"
    -above average power potential
    -below average speed
    -gg potential at 1b
    Who where the 3 guys ahead of him?

vCash
    Izzy Hechkoff (New York): What are the future grades on Smith's Hit and Power tools?

Ben Badler: Could be plus bat, plus power. Throw in plus defense at first base too and you have a potential all-star and about as well-rounded of a player as you'll find out of a first baseman.

ďNinety percent Iíll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent Iíll probably waste.Ē

vCash
    John (Chicago): Aside from Giolito and Meadows, do you think any other players in the GCL will make the top 100?

Ben Badler: The top six all have a chance. That group was clearly a cut above the rest of the league, and in a thinner year, you could put any of them at No. 1 on this list.

vCash
    Izzy (New York): Did any other Mets merit consideration? Anything of note on Andrew Church, Casey Meisner, Ivan Wilson, Wuilmer Becerra, and Vicente Lupo?

Ben Badler: Jhoan Urena is a guy to keep an eye on. Switch-hitter who can drive the ball from both sides even if the power didn't show up in games this year, but he's made a lot of strides with his pitch recognition and hitting approach and the raw power is definitely in there. He's a big-bodied guy so he's going to have to work to stay at third base, but the bat potential there is very intriguing.

vCash
    "Smith earned rave reviews from scouts for his hitting and defense coming out of high school in Southern California. The Mets drafted him this year with the 11th overall pick and signed him for $2.6 million. After struggling the first few weeks of the season, Smith adjusted and hit .372 in August.

With a sweet lefthanded swing, good bat speed, hand-eye coordination and pitch recognition, Smith has the potential to be a plus hitter and get on base at a high clip…He hit just three home runs in the GCL, but he has sock to the middle of the field and to his pull side, with above-average future power potential.

A below-average runner, Smith has Gold Glove potential at first base. He’s excellent around the bag with quick feet, soft hands, good instincts and a strong arm for a first baseman. He’s still learning to get into a more athletic position to receive throws, but that’s correctable."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rebuilding View Post
    Who where the 3 guys ahead of him?
    Meadows
    Giolito
    & McGuire

vCash
    Warren (New London): I can see that there was a lot of talent in this league (much more than in Arizona, it seems to me), but I'm still pretty surprised to see Crawford as low as 6. Is this a case of respecting the draft order pending more data, since the guys picked ahead of him all played very well also? Or were observers really less impressed with him than with Barreto (who won't stay at shortstop), McGuire (who might not hit), and Smith (love him, but he didn't hit any better than Crawford)?

Ben Badler: We had the players in the 3-6 range mixed up in just about every order possible before deciding on the final ranking, and frankly, there's not a big gap between them. One player who repeatedly received as much praise as anyone was McGuire, both for his defense and his bat. It's a simple swing, he has a good approach, he makes plenty of contact and uses the whole field, so if he can bring out 10-15 home runs a year, with that defense, you have an all-star catcher. But I think Smith, Barreto (who's a year younger than all of these guys) and Crawford all have the potential to be above-average regulars too. This was just a stacked league, and those six at the top are all in the Top 100 mix.

vCash
    John (Chicago): I know we're focusing on the top talent, but I am curious about one of the bigger disappointments. Any thoughts on Vicente Lupo's struggles?

Ben Badler: He's more of a power-first guy over a pure hitter, so he's someone who could face some streakiness as he climbs the ladder. He sprained his left wrist though trying to make a diving catch in the outfield, so it was an abbreviated year for him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Izzy (New York): Did any other Mets merit consideration? Anything of note on Andrew Church, Casey Meisner, Ivan Wilson, Wuilmer Becerra, and Vicente Lupo?

Ben Badler: Jhoan Urena is a guy to keep an eye on. Switch-hitter who can drive the ball from both sides even if the power didn't show up in games this year, but he's made a lot of strides with his pitch recognition and hitting approach and the raw power is definitely in there. He's a big-bodied guy so he's going to have to work to stay at third base, but the bat potential there is very intriguing.
    Like Urena a lot.

vCash
    GCL Sleepers

BA
    Jhoan Urena, 3b, Mets: When the Mets signed Urena for $425,000 out of the Dominican Republic in 2011, he stood out for his ability to drive the ball from both sides of the plate. After a solid season in the DSL last year, Urena showed that his bat is more advanced than some scouts initially expected. He shows power in batting practice but didn’t go deep once this season, using more of a line-drive approach in games. The hesitation scouts have with Urena is where he’ll play, since he’s already a heavy-bodied guy who just turned 19 and doesn’t have a quick first step, although his solid-average arm is strong enough to play there.

vCash
    I guess Urena physically is a mix of Marte and Aderlin.

vCash
    I've liked Urena since last year. I think he could be one of our better hitting prospects in a few years.

vCash
    Well, I hope he does better developing that power than a guy like Marte did. I loved Marte when he was Urena's age and like Urena he had excellent raw power, but it never translated to game power over a year. There were some flashes here and there, but that was it. In fact Marte was 2 years younger when he was in the GCL and killing it. I like that Urena is a SH though and not just a RHB.

I he is in BK next year, I will get to see him.
    Last edited by Sick Of It All; 09-26-2013 at 06:00 AM.

vCash
    I'm actually a little disappointed with the defensive report. When he signed, I thought he was supposed to be a good defender. But maybe that was just relative to other recent IFAs (Marte, Aderlin, etc). But sounds like a little more power potential than I expected as well, so maybe that offsets. Could be he's just grown some since signing and the profile has changed a bit.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast