Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Dale Sveum hired by royals

That was quick.

Fired as Cubs manager, Dale Sveum joins Royals as coach
    Aaron Gleeman Oct 3, 2013, 2:14 PM EDT
    1 Comment

Getty Images
    It didn’t take Dale Sveum long to find a new gig after being fired by the Cubs, as Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star reports that he’s joined manager Ned Yost’s coaching staff with the Royals.
    Sveum previously worked as a coach under Yost in Milwaukee and in fact stepped in as interim manager when the Brewers fired Yost in late 2008.
    No word yet on Sveum’s exact role, but Dutton also reports that third base coach Eddie Rodriguez and bench coach Chino Cadahia were let go, with Cadahia being offered a different role in the organization. Bench coach seems like a good bet for Sveum, who went 127-197 (.392) in two seasons as Cubs skipper.

vCash
    It was never going to take him long to find another job. He's a fine coach who came into a ****** situation.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    It was never going to take him long to find another job. He's a fine coach who came into a ****** situation.
    At least he isn't head coach. That would have been an even ******** situation.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gotcrean View Post
    At least he isn't head coach. That would have been an even ******** situation.
    Well yeah, it would be a horrible decision for him to do that so quickly while he's still so young.

Edit: Thought he was younger.

vCash
    Already have a chance to talk to Sveum lined up- only going to ask 3-10 (likely no more than 5) Cubs related questions, will pass them along when it's all done...
    Ombudsman

vCash
    Infield instruction seems like a great fit for him. He wasn't the best at managing bullpen and arguably personalities, but the defense did improve under him. I don't know how much credit goes to each person involved for that though.
    Save the kittens, ignore sbs' posts
    Red Sox hater since 10/2011

It is anyway, not anyways.

vCash
    Good for him. While I wasn't crazy about him as a manager, he really had no chance with the rosters we've trotted out there for the last 2 years.

vCash
    Certainly NOT Dale's fault for the team issues and all the loses. We all know that both Theo and Jed said the same thing and that was not why Dale was let go. It had everything to do with his communication skills and lack of progress from young players they brought up (Castro, Rizzo).

I think Dale is fine so long as he is NOT a Manager of a team. He just doesn't seem to have the skills to handle that as the main coach. But as a bench coach and assistant, I think it would be just fine and suit him better for his style.

vCash
    Good for him hope he does well there. I've always had a soft spot for KC.

vCash
    This. Guy deserves another shot with a better team.

On Rose vs. Westbrook:
    Quote Originally Posted by PhillyFaninLA View Post
    Westbrook only because I think Rose is a bit selfish and that hurts his likelihood of winning a title, all flash and no cash for Rose

vCash
    I kind of think this could just be a waiting area for him until another managerial job opens up, too (like maybe with the Royal, heh).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by terencem View Post
    I kind of think this could just be a waiting area for him until another managerial job opens up, too (like maybe with the Royal, heh).
    Royals fans HATE Ned... with a passion (at least the ones I go to school with). If the Royals don't get off to a good start next season, I would not be surprised if Dale doesn't at least get a look at the position.
    The Future...
    Is Bright!!

vCash
    Dale really had no chance with the players Command Central placed on the field. If anything.....The firing of Dale is another PR move by the front office. It is much cheaper to blame and replace the manager than it is to actually trot out a team that can contend for a playoff spot.

Wonder what next year's slogan out of Command Central will be for 2014.

vCash
    Derp.