13 41.94%
  • no

13 41.94%
  • not sure

5 16.13%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Is Doc Rivers overrated?

Just wondering what you guys think. Do you believe he is overrated? I think he benefited greatly off the big 3, combined with KG's defense and thibodeau's system on defense. He seems great at managing ego's and getting the most out of players but I'm not sure if he is a great X's and O's coach. He is better than del negro obviously. This year will be very telling obviously.

vCash
    No, just ask those magic teams from the start of the last decade

vCash
    Hes a master motivator and brilliant at in bound plays. He instills confidence and commands respect without being a totalitarian. Hes not a brilliant tactioner but hes good enough and those other qualities are of far more importance IMO.

I will never forget the season where he got a team full of players on their final contracts (guys typically looking for their own success) to play as ateam. Him keeping a starless Magic team at .500 was truly inspiring and totally worthy of COY.

Hes gotten overrated as a defensive coach because they werent his ideas but I guess now that hes learned from the best assistant coaches, I guess it doesnt matter.

Va...heart between Giants Stadium and MSG
    vCash
    No, he's not overrated, he's a player's HC, master motivator, very good with the x's and o's IMO. Boston didn't let him go, he chose to leave. The Clippers never overpay a HC but they did with Doc....the Clippers player's wanted him...you just don't get that kind of respect if you're not very good at what you do.

NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS 18-1 Signature of a Champion!
    ELI MANNING.... 2X SB MVP....2X SB CHAMPION!

vCash
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by rhymeratic View Post
    Shoot I'd even put up Glen Rice and Mitch Richmond in their prime at or slightly better than James. Even Glenn Robinson who is a forgotten beast.

Quote Originally Posted by LoveMeOrHateMe View Post
    Kobe GOAT LOL
    ^Finally got one.

vCash
    Lol.

vCash
    incredibly overrated

vCash
    I like him, but:

*Coach T and KG did most of the lifting for the title IMO.
    *he's a vets coach, rookies get ignored
    *he plays whom he breaks camp with, Ainge put together some good deadline deals and Doc made poor use of the vast majority of them - Green and Kristic among them, he also tolerated Rondo's 15 game emotional melt down over losing Perkins.
    *he tolerated Rondo cutting Ray out of the picture more and more after '08
    *he never controlled Rondo, eventually tired of him and let him practice and run the games his way - that's not coaching, that's giving in.

You have a vet team with egos that need to be soothed? He might be the guy, but to build/nurture a team? Only with very strong assistants to take care of the details.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    Well it just so happens the very few things haters are saying he's supposedly good at... are exactly what the Clippers needed. So whatever you may feel in regards to his rating... he's a MASSIVE upgrade over Vinny and that much was clear from the minute I heard him interview and he pointed out the EXACT weaknesses and flaws of our team. Which most general analysts/fans are clueless about.

vCash
    No because Chris Paul

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Asik's better View Post
    No, just ask those magic teams from the start of the last decade
    pretty much this. Yeah, he had help in boston. He did not have help in orlando.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Clippersfan86 View Post
    Well it just so happens the very few things haters are saying he's supposedly good at... are exactly what the Clippers needed. So whatever you may feel in regards to his rating... he's a MASSIVE upgrade over Vinny and that much was clear from the minute I heard him interview and he pointed out the EXACT weaknesses and flaws of our team. Which most general analysts/fans are clueless about.
    Vinny was/is an idiot, no doubt. Of available Coaches he may well have been the best choice for your team, which I suppose is most or all of what you care about.

He's already considered retirement, so the amount of time he will Coach in the NBA isn't measured in 8 or 10 years, but more like 3 or 5 - which is all you need him for. The minute the team looks like it's a lottery team to be, he'll be gone.

He's calm, mature, and knows how to deal with the press. So like I said, I like him, and like him for your team, but like everyone else he has weaknesses.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    Vinny was/is an idiot, no doubt. Of available Coaches he may well have been the best choice for your team, which I suppose is most or all of what you care about.

He's already considered retirement, so the amount of time he will Coach in the NBA isn't measured in 8 or 10 years, but more like 3 or 5 - which is all you need him for. The minute the team looks like it's a lottery team to be, he'll be gone.

He's calm, mature, and knows how to deal with the press. So like I said, I like him, and like him for your team, but like everyone else he has weaknesses.
    For sure. I'm aware of the fact that he's not a brilliant strategist (as are most Clippers fans). Nobody I know thinks he's the best coach in the NBA or something but even if he's top 5-10 that's amazing. Coming from Vinny almost anybody is a big upgrade. In actuality though he may actually be a better fit for the Clippers than the Celtics. As you know (Celtics fan) you guys had elite PLAYER personnel defensively so guys like KG/Rondo deserve a ton of the props for the defense. The Celtics offense was mediocre so I think what Doc can add (defensive mindset) is more needed for our team. All Doc really had to do for your team was manage personalities because the team was filled with vets who were ready to sacrifice everything.

For the Clippers on the otherhand... Chris Paul/Blake Griffin make us an elite offense already without any coaching. The Celtics were a mediocre offense so Doc's strengths may have been a bit redundant with the players already. His weakness (offense) already comes easy for our team. The main areas we lacked coaching wise was leadership, defensive mindset and chemistry. Which all happen to be what Doc provides in spades. For the Celtics I think he was more of a good compliment, for us he was EXACTLY what we needed to really learn to play the right way.

People should really think about who Blake and DJ have had as coaches while they have developed. Not once until now have they had an average or better coach (Dunleavy didn't play DJ and Blake was a rookie, Dunleavy had lost team by then). Nobody has told them... look you need to fu**ing set hard screens, run back on defense and stop fu**ing around with refs. Vinny was terrified to address vets or star players and Doc isn't. I know the players are adults and should have the discipline already but guys like Blake/DJ who have relied on athleticism since they were kids... really need fundamental, father figure type coaches to mold them.
    Last edited by Clippersfan86; 10-03-2013 at 12:47 PM.

vCash
    Oh it's also important to note that a very good offensive coach in Alvin Gentry is manning the offense for us. We are focusing on a Spurs type offense with nonstop motion and lots of passing/floor spreading. I forsee a beautiful offense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Clippersfan86 View Post
    how is it hating if people are saying hes overrated?

many celtics fans on various boards used to complain about how overrated he was and how thibs was better.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast