Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: Playoff Roster

vCash

Playoff Roster

Just collecting a few items for discussion...

Red Sox manager John Farrell declined to name his rotation for the American League Division Series. But he did reveal that Clay Buchholz and Jake Peavy would pitch in the instrasquad game at Fenway Park Wednesday afternoon.

“You can deduct from that what you wish,” he said.

In that case, feel free to assume that Jon Lester will start Game 1 on Friday with John Lackey following in Game 2 on Saturday. Then Buchholz and Peavy will follow.
    No clarity on the roster yet. But INF Brock Holt and RHPs Allen Webster, Brayan Villarreal and Steven Wright were sent home. The other players not on the roster will either hang around the team or head to Fort Myers to stay fresh just in case.
    Boston.com

vCash
    Farrell did offer up a few hints about the roster. The Red Sox will carry 11 pitchers, he said. He also said the roster was heavy with outfielders and spoke of the versatility of players like Daniel Nava and Mile Carp.

That would indicate that lefty reliever Matt Thornton will make roster at the expense of Jackie Bradley Jr.

Doubront has more upside than Thornton. But his reluctance to pitch in relief and poor performance on Sunday gives Thornton an edge. Thornton also has three games of postseason experience.
    Boston.com

vCash
    The Red Sox announced their rotation for the American League Division Series. There were no surprises.

Game 1 on Friday: LHP Jon Lester
    Game 2 on Saturday: RHP John Lackey
    Game 3 on Monday: RHP Clay Buchholz
    Game 4 on Tuesday (if necessary): RHP Jake Peavy
    Boston.com

vCash
    Looks like Doubront is making the cut. Who knows what he brings. Control dodge him. and the attitude about working as a reliever might doom him.

vCash
    I miss Andrew Miller.
    Bring back MacDime

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweet_Caroline View Post
    I miss Andrew Miller.
    I miss MacDime

vCash
    Doubront gets the call when we are down 7-1 in the 4th.. hopefully we won't see him.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    Much better than Thornton making the team. Thornton might have been used in a high leverage situation. I wouldn't say Doubront would only be used in a blowout. Extra innings, or if the SP looks shaky they might use him to try to get to the 5th/6th.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by -Lavigne43- View Post
    Much better than Thornton making the team. Thornton might have been used in a high leverage situation. I wouldn't say Doubront would only be used in a blowout. Extra innings, or if the SP looks shaky they might use him to try to get to the 5th/6th.
    Agree on Thornton, besides him being a lefty, he's been crap.

I have to think Dempster is in first for any 2+ IP appearance that's needed. If Dempster isn't available than for 2+ IP it could be Doubront or Workman - if we were not so lefty heavy I'd say Workman for sure. It's not a mistake that Doubront is the 11th pitcher. The only guy I trust as little as him is Tazawa with 5 BS and a 4.00 ERA since late June.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    PITCHERS (11)
    LHP Craig Breslow
    RHP Clay Buchholz
    RHP Ryan Dempster
    LHP Felix Doubront
    RHP John Lackey
    LHP Jon Lester
    LHP Franklin Morales
    RHP Jake Peavy
    RHP Junichi Tazawa
    RHP Koji Uehara
    RHP Brandon Workman

CATCHERS (2)
    David Ross
    Jarrod Saltalamacchia

INFIELDERS (5)
    SS-3B Xander Bogaerts
    SS Stephen Drew
    1B Mike Napoli
    3B Will Middlebrooks
    2B Dustin Pedroia

OUTFIELDERS (6)
    CF Quintin Berry
    LF-1B Mike Carp
    CF Jacoby Ellsbury
    LF Jonny Gomes
    LF-RF-1B Daniel Nava
    RF-CF Shane Victorino

DH (1)
    David Ortiz
    Boston.com

vCash
    I think I'd rather see Peavy be guaranteed to pitch in this series than Lackey but other than that roster looks solid, be interesting to see how we do.
    With the deepest of regrets I am announcing that I will be leaving Pro Sports Daily. No reason in particular but wanted to thank everyone for a great 6 years here. Lots of great discussion and good poll series as well. Also fun re-drafts. Best of luck to you all in the future.

vCash
    Will anything change going into the ALCS? Does Berry/Carp get dropped for a pitcher? I don't want to lose Carp and having Berry on the bench late in the game is always a plus.

vCash
    I don't see the point in dropping either for Thornton. We have plenty of length in the pen.

vCash
    I don't think anyone would miss Morales

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MG956 View Post
    I don't think anyone would miss Morales
    I certainly wouldn't.