Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Dusty Baked to be replaced

Dusty needs to be fired. I have supported Dusty most of the time but I think the team reflects his layed back attitude too much at this point. This would also put pressure on the players to perform. Whoever is on board with me name a canidate. Cal Ripken Jr. wants to get into coaching. There is Matt Williams for the D-Backs. Just naming a few. We need someone to light a fire under this teams ***.

vCash
    Your average manager has little to no influence on team success.
    Your team has won 90 games 3 of the last 4 years. Playoff baseball is a crap shoot, rarely does the best team on paper win it. The problem is that you guys ran into Pittsburgh at the wrong time, Latos was hurt, Liriano and the fans were huge. Not too mention, some of the breaks the Pirates got, like the foul ball and the botched Double Play. It just wasn't in the cards for the Reds.
    For the best sports gifs and memes visit
    http://aviewfromthebleachers.tumblr.com/

vCash
    So let me get this straight. Its not the manager but luck? If that's the case have all the players wear rabbits feet and hire me as the coach for 50k a year. I think a manager has more to do with playoffs than the regular season. This team teams needs a fire lit under it.

vCash
    I think the manager is a factor. I believe a manager like Francona helped get the Indians over the hump this year. This has always been my fear. What if Dusty is getting more out of these guys than any replacement can? I know when we watch them that may be hard to believe, but it might not be in the DNA of this team play consistently well in tough situations. It's amazing how the Reds, a solid defensive team, start bumbling the ball all over the place once the playoffs start. Every year they do that. I think they feel the pressure of not achieving their goals year in and year out and they end up playing with too much anxiety. What I do know is that the fanbase will magnify how a team feels about themselves. Few players will ever admit to it, but they are human just like us and they see the same things. They know other teams are responding to the playoffs better. They just don't know how to play any differently. That is where a manager or in some instances a player can come in with leadership and direction. Reds don't have that.

Anyway, if Dusty were to be replaced the name you always hear is Jim Riggleman. If that is the case then I say no thank you, I'll pass.

vCash
    I agree that Dusty's laid back personality is rubbing off on the team. Last night, the only pissed off player was Phillips, and everyone else was basically like "well we made the playoffs and won 90 games. It could be worse". They were basically like "oh well".

I think Dusty is a good manager, but he just doesn't know how to manage in the post season. Cueto should have been out in the second, Ludwick shouldn't have batted second, or even played for the matter. Maybe not even Phillips should have started.

I understand that Dusty isn't out there striking out with batters on and misplaying routine plays, but I agree that no one on this team will take over as the leader because that laid back personality has rubbed off onto the players. Unfortunately, this team would rather have their hands held than become the leader. It should be Votto, if not him then Phillips, and both of them failed to raise to the occasion.

The team is just so bland. So much talent, and no spark, no energy, no frustration or fire in their belly's. Last 7 games they averaged like 1.7 runs a game, that's unacceptable. You listen to the players talk in interviews, and they're basically like "oh well, it happens".

Idk if firing Dusty is the answer, because like Sparks said, Riggleman will probably be his replacement, which would be worse than Dusty. However, I do feel we need a new GM and hitting coach badly. Jocketty is such a bad GM, mainly because every year he fails to upgrade the team at the deadline while everyone around us is. and Jacoby is a terrible hitting coach. The teams approach at the plate is terrible, and that falls on him.
    Last edited by jlohm1; 10-02-2013 at 02:58 PM.

vCash
    I knew that some "loose cannon" would start a thread wanting to fire Dusty. Look, he did a masterful job this year. On opening day, we lost our LF and #4 hitter for over 4 months to a shoulder injury. Our #1 starter made a whopping 11 starts all year long. Our two flame throwin' setup men, Marshall and Bronxton(sp?) missed over 80% of the year. The left side of our infield hit under .250. Hanigan went down for an extended period of time, as did Heisey. Votto wasn't "Votto" this year, with only 22 HR's.

How many managers would make the playoffs with this amount of injuries?

Also, I hear that Ray Knight, Jerry Narron, Dave Miley, and Dave Mackanin are looking for a managing gig. Thought so......
    The Leonard Williams crew. Who's with me???

N. Cog Neato, krsonekth

vCash
    Also, throw in the anemic bats of Hannahan(sp?) and Izturis.....
    The Leonard Williams crew. Who's with me???

N. Cog Neato, krsonekth

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by N. Cog Neato View Post
    Also, throw in the anemic bats of Hannahan(sp?) and Izturis.....
    But why in the world were they even on the roster in the first place?

Dusty is a terrible in-game manager. It's so clear. Intentionally walking players when you're down by 4 in a win or go home playoff game is laughable. The Reds have talent. That's why they consistently make the playoffs. With how Phillips played this year, along with the fact that Choo likely won't be around, the Reds might have missed their window this year. Votto and Choo were terrific. And the Reds have an amazing staff. But the lineup is more than shady.

EBOLA EBOLA EBOLA

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by N. Cog Neato View Post
    How many managers would make the playoffs with this amount of injuries?

Also, I hear that Ray Knight, Jerry Narron, Dave Miley, and Dave Mackanin are looking for a managing gig. Thought so......
    Dusty has done a good job. I have been in his corner from day one. Dusty took this young team and molded it into a perennial playoff contender. Here is the thing, if the ownership group wants to go further they will need to get some serious leadership for this team. That leadership needs to be in the form of a respected player or in a manager. Probably easier to find a manager. I can tell you that if I spent 106mil on a mid market team and year after year they couldn't get any further than the Reds have gotten, well some changes would come. The fanbase is really upset right now, and the Reds have to sell themselves to maintain their tickets base. Not sure that can be done if the Reds keep Dusty and Jacoby. Good chance the Reds will lose Bryan Price this offseason too and that will have a big impact on this team.

In the end they may keep Dusty, but I think the fans have soured on him beyond repair. I like Dusty a lot, but I feel this team needs a shake up. So for the first time ever I am saying the Reds need to move in a different direction at manager. In this instance I don't like using the word "fired" because it sounds disrespectful and unappreciative. The Reds organization owe a lot of their recent success to Dusty Baker.

vCash
    Dusty is far from our problems. When he calls on a player to do his job and he doesn't produce... thats on the player. Most all these players were produced in house and molded by Dusty. Ya, some things could have been done differently but dang......

1. Votto does not produce when the spotlight is on him... (playoffs, all star games, espn games, etc.)
    2. Fraiser and Cozart are minor league players.
    3. Left field is a mess.
    4. Hanigan is an automatic out.
    5. Cueto, Marshall, Broxtan and Ludwick went down with injuries.

And we won 90 games. Im thinking manager of the year.

vCash
    Like I said, they need a leader. A Barry Larkin type, Greg Vaughn, Bench, Morgan, Rose, etc. If none of the players can fill that role then the manger needs to. Ask Cleveland fans how they feel about Terry Francona or Pittsburgh fans how they feel about Clint Hurdle or Russell Martin. All of them are leaders. Without adding a big time free agent leader, I don't see how keeping Dusty will help this team sell tickets next year.

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere, but is there a possibility that Joe Morgan could be a managerial candidate? He hangs with Castellini and Jocketty an awful lot.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stsparks72 View Post
    Dusty has done a good job. I have been in his corner from day one. Dusty took this young team and molded it into a perennial playoff contender. Here is the thing, if the ownership group wants to go further they will need to get some serious leadership for this team. That leadership needs to be in the form of a respected player or in a manager. Probably easier to find a manager. I can tell you that if I spent 106mil on a mid market team and year after year they couldn't get any further than the Reds have gotten, well some changes would come. The fanbase is really upset right now, and the Reds have to sell themselves to maintain their tickets base. Not sure that can be done if the Reds keep Dusty and Jacoby. Good chance the Reds will lose Bryan Price this offseason too and that will have a big impact on this team.

In the end they may keep Dusty, but I think the fans have soured on him beyond repair. I like Dusty a lot, but I feel this team needs a shake up. So for the first time ever I am saying the Reds need to move in a different direction at manager. In this instance I don't like using the word "fired" because it sounds disrespectful and unappreciative. The Reds organization owe a lot of their recent success to Dusty Baker.
    I agree, however I am on the fence about letting Dusty go. I think he's a good manager, but I think he's taken this team as far as he's capable of taking it. Every year, the team "chokes". I think his laid back personality has rubbed off on the players, and they all would rather have their hands held than to be a leader. This was our year to win it, because our window is closing. Choo won't be back next year, and likely within the next 5 years, Bailey, Latos, Chapman, and Cueto might not be here. They're going to become free agents and get big contracts. We'll get a new TV deal in 2015, so we'll have a lot more money, but idk if we'll be able to bring them all back. Also, Phillips is declining and Bruce isn't panning out like we have hoped. This was our year and we didn't make it.

The main reason that letting go of Dusty could be a bad thing is because Jim Riggleman will likely be his replacement, which would be a huge no-no.

I think Walt Jocketty needs to go though. As does Jacoby. Brian Price is the best coach we have, and I'm afraid that we might lose him.
    Last edited by jlohm1; 10-03-2013 at 10:12 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dogdaddy View Post
    Dusty is far from our problems. When he calls on a player to do his job and he doesn't produce... thats on the player. Most all these players were produced in house and molded by Dusty. Ya, some things could have been done differently but dang......

1. Votto does not produce when the spotlight is on him... (playoffs, all star games, espn games, etc.)
    2. Fraiser and Cozart are minor league players.
    3. Left field is a mess.
    4. Hanigan is an automatic out.
    5. Cueto, Marshall, Broxtan and Ludwick went down with injuries.

And we won 90 games. Im thinking manager of the year.
    I agree that Frazier and Cozart won't be the players we hoped, but you need to realize that Hanigan was hurt most of the year, and his defense is what really will helped the team.

Everyone keeps bashing Votto, but he still got on base and scored a lot of runs. He can't drive in runs when he's constantly being walked. But I agree, he never does anything when he's in the spotlight.

vCash
    Jlohm... Ya that what sucks about Votto... spotlight..... All great players shine in the spotlight which makes them legendary. When you pay that kind of money for a guy he should be legendary.....

I don't agree at all about Bruce and Phillips. Bruce 30 hr and 109 rbi's????????? He is worth every penny. Also may be the best right fielder in the majors. Phillips is one of the top defenders and will do anything he is asked. Also a leader.

We win games cause this franchise finally put thier money towards pitching. Walt is a big part of that. IN my opinion we made a huge mistake in signing Votto. Granted he is great but not that great. For that money we could have had Alonzo at first and got a 3rd base and SS that could hit... Heck you might have enough money left over to sign Choo...LOL Way too many holes in this offense to expect much.

Always remember.. Never fall in love with a player, fall in like. Because there is another great player out there waiting for his shot.

vCash
    Doesn't matter what any of us think now. Dusty Baker will be replaced according to numerous sources.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast