Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

2013-2014 Texas Rangers Off-Season Thread

We got a lot to do to get back to being a contender again. Post your ideas below.

Texas Rangers Potential Free Agents:

- Jeff Baker
    - Nelson Cruz
    - Jason Frasor
    - Matt Garza
    - Colby Lewis
    - David Murphy
    - Joe Nathan
    - AJ Pierzynski
    - Geovany Soto

I took Garza's 10.25 million salary and cut it around half in this estimation but with those guys coming off the books we are looking at 42-ish million becoming free for us to spend this off-season. Not to mention our TV deal has begun and our ownership is loaded with cash.

Team needs:

- Catcher
    - Right handed 1st baseman to platoon with Moreland
    - Top of the order right handed starting pitcher.
    - 2 Power bats. (1 lefty, 1 righty)
    - A home for Profar to play every day. (Whether it's at 2B for us or he is on another team)
    Last edited by asmarks18; 10-01-2013 at 01:44 PM.
    @asmarks18
    Texas Rangers
    St. Louis Cardinals
    Dallas Cowboys
    St. Louis Rams
    Dallas Mavericks
    St. Louis Blues
    Texas Tech

vCash
    My first pipe dream of an off-season.

- Package a trade for Giancarlo Stanton. (Profar, Leonys Martin, others)

- Sign Brian McCann (5 years 55 million? Have no clue what he is valued for)

- Sign Kendrys Morales (3 years 25 million?)

- Sign Jacoby Ellsbury (6 years 100 million?)

1. Ellsbury, CF (L)
    2. Andrus, SS (R)
    3. Stanton, RF (R)
    4. Beltre, 3B (R)
    5. McCann, C (L)
    6. Kinsler, 2B (R)
    7. Rios, LF (R)
    8. Morales, DH (R)
    9. Moreland, 1B (L)
    @asmarks18
    Texas Rangers
    St. Louis Cardinals
    Dallas Cowboys
    St. Louis Rams
    Dallas Mavericks
    St. Louis Blues
    Texas Tech

vCash
    sorry but i don't want Mitch Moreland Back he is GARBAGE

lineup for next season should be

1. choo, Rf (L)
    2. Andrus, SS (R)
    3. Rios, LF (R)
    4. Beltre, 3B (R)
    5. McCann, C (L)
    6. Kinsler, 2B (R)
    7. Cruz, DH (R)
    8. Jose Abreu, 1B (R)
    9. Martin, CF (L)

vCash
    My wish list is simple-, but it will not happen. That is Daniels to get his ***** handed to him by Ryan.

Daniels has control issues, and FAILED in the Off Season for two years now. It has cost this team and that is obvious. Washington makes some questionable moves , but he is not responsible for replacing lost run production with no personnel do it with. That is on Daniels

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bwest4prez View Post
    sorry but i don't want Mitch Moreland Back he is GARBAGE

lineup for next season should be

1. choo, Rf (L)
    2. Andrus, SS (R)
    3. Rios, LF (R)
    4. Beltre, 3B (R)
    5. McCann, C (L)
    6. Kinsler, 2B (R)
    7. Cruz, DH (R)
    8. Jose Abreu, 1B (R)
    9. Martin, CF (L)

I like this most

vCash
    1) Fire Jon Daniels so that we can improve this team personnel-wise. waveone is correct with his assessment. You can't keep expecting to sign guys like Lance Berkman, Roy Oswalt, Rich Harden, etc., etc. and think they can fill in for guys you don't want to pay for. I'm sick of "low-risk, high-reward" signings not turning out and frankly, even though JD got the better end of the Teixeira and Volquez trades, he's made plenty of other blunders along the way. It's time to move on and I suspect that a chimp could do just as well now that we have money to spend here.

2) Re-sign Pierzynski and Soto. Both should be cheaper than the oft-injured McCann and better than the other John Buck type players that will be available.

3) Re-sign Nelson Cruz to play DH. This is contingent on him taking a 2 year deal (with mutual option for the third).

4) Go hard after Jose Abreu. Mitch Moreland should be done in Texas.

5) Trade Jurickson Profar and whatever other pieces it would take to get Giancarlo Stanton. Truthfully, I'm still not sure this is a real possibility, however I do believe either Profar or Kinsler needs to be moved this offseason to clear playing time for the other at 2B. I don't want Kinsler moving to 1B or into the OF honestly and would much rather trade him if it comes down to it.

Possible other trade targets: Jose Bautista, Edwin Encarnacion, Carlos Gonzalez

6) If we are unable to make a trade, then consider signing Shin Soo Choo or Carlos Beltran. I am not 100% sold on the idea that Choo will put up similar numbers, so he would have to become a bargain type signing (later in the offseason) and I would only sign Beltran to a 1 year deal.

7) Re-sign Colby Lewis. I am not 100% about this move, though I think it will be a cheap enough mistake if he doesn't come back fully. I would also be interested in signing Ricky Nolasco if the marketplace doesn't throw a ton of money at him early. I do not want Matt Garza back...not for his asking price.

My Team:

C- Pierzynski
    1- Abreu
    2- Profar (Probably Kinsler here, if we could acquire Stanton)
    3- Beltre
    SS- Andrus
    LF- Rios
    CF- Martin
    RF- Bautista (I'd rather acquire Stanton)
    DH- Cruz

SP- Darvish, Holland, Harrison, Perez, Lewis/Nolasco (Ogando as 6th starter)
    CL- Soria

*I would let Murphy and Nathan go and keep the bullpen mainly intact.

All in all, I don't think we have a terrible team. We need to bring power into this lineup at all costs and I would like to sign a real #4-5 type SP (moving Ogando to the bullpen) to help with starter depth.

One last thing to note: If we move Kinsler, I'm not sold that we currently have (or would be acquiring) a legit leadoff guy. That leads me to hesitate a bit on that move, though I still believe that someone could still be developed into that guy.

Who needs Josh Hamilton when you can have this for $11m?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stipe1280 View Post
    1) Fire Jon Daniels so that we can improve this team personnel-wise. waveone is correct with his assessment. You can't keep expecting to sign guys like Lance Berkman, Roy Oswalt, Rich Harden, etc., etc. and think they can fill in for guys you don't want to pay for. I'm sick of "low-risk, high-reward" signings not turning out and frankly, even though JD got the better end of the Teixeira and Volquez trades, he's made plenty of other blunders along the way. It's time to move on and I suspect that a chimp could do just as well now that we have money to spend here.

2) Re-sign Pierzynski and Soto. Both should be cheaper than the oft-injured McCann and better than the other John Buck type players that will be available.

3) Re-sign Nelson Cruz to play DH. This is contingent on him taking a 2 year deal (with mutual option for the third).

4) Go hard after Jose Abreu. Mitch Moreland should be done in Texas.

5) Trade Jurickson Profar and whatever other pieces it would take to get Giancarlo Stanton. Truthfully, I'm still not sure this is a real possibility, however I do believe either Profar or Kinsler needs to be moved this offseason to clear playing time for the other at 2B. I don't want Kinsler moving to 1B or into the OF honestly and would much rather trade him if it comes down to it.

Possible other trade targets: Jose Bautista, Edwin Encarnacion, Carlos Gonzalez

6) If we are unable to make a trade, then consider signing Shin Soo Choo or Carlos Beltran. I am not 100% sold on the idea that Choo will put up similar numbers, so he would have to become a bargain type signing (later in the offseason) and I would only sign Beltran to a 1 year deal.

7) Re-sign Colby Lewis. I am not 100% about this move, though I think it will be a cheap enough mistake if he doesn't come back fully. I would also be interested in signing Ricky Nolasco if the marketplace doesn't throw a ton of money at him early. I do not want Matt Garza back...not for his asking price.

My Team:

C- Pierzynski
    1- Abreu
    2- Profar (Probably Kinsler here, if we could acquire Stanton)
    3- Beltre
    SS- Andrus
    LF- Rios
    CF- Martin
    RF- Bautista (I'd rather acquire Stanton)
    DH- Cruz

SP- Darvish, Holland, Harrison, Perez, Lewis/Nolasco (Ogando as 6th starter)
    CL- Soria

*I would let Murphy and Nathan go and keep the bullpen mainly intact.

All in all, I don't think we have a terrible team. We need to bring power into this lineup at all costs and I would like to sign a real #4-5 type SP (moving Ogando to the bullpen) to help with starter depth.

One last thing to note: If we move Kinsler, I'm not sold that we currently have (or would be acquiring) a legit leadoff guy. That leads me to hesitate a bit on that move, though I still believe that someone could still be developed into that guy.
    Thank you, but you know you're just a hater, like me.

According to the baseball masses here Daniels has, is and continues to do an awesome job and it's all Wash's and Ryan's fault. You know that, don't you? Even though of course both are career baseball men and Daniels has never played, except for intramurals I would imagine...

On another note, my take on things is a bit different than yours past the sniveling twit Daniels...

Pierzynski & Soto- totally agreed. They are an excellent compliment to one another. Both call decent games and mange pitchers well. Those are first responsibilities of any catcher.

Kinsler- must stay, and stay at second base. Our line up suffered tremendously when he was out. He is a leader and a spark, that is evident when he is not in the line up.

Moreland initially looked like he was claiming first base , then faded down the stretch. He should be gone so trade him for as much as possible.

Andrus- stays put. He imply needs to work on his swing

Beltre- ride him as long as you possibly can and his body holds out.

Murphy- another disappointment that needs to be packaged with Moreland and possibly Profar to get Stanton if possible.

Martin & Gentry- they should be kept because both are natural CF that are also versatile enough to play any other outfield position. Beside that both are fast and can be excellent on the base paths.

Rios -is not a game changer but is an asset that fits in well with this team. He runs well and if motivated can be a productive bat.

Cruz- I re sign him especially IF they cannot score Stanton or someone close to his ability. Regardless, he is a game changer and can be used as a DH or RF backup.

G.Stanton- IF he cannot be acquired why not go after Beltran or Bautista?

Pitchers

Texas still has no ACE in my opinion, but a line- up with #2's, #3's, 4's etc.

Darvish- immature, prone to pout and discouragement. He was our ace that had flashes yet pitched like a very solid #2. Perhaps he simply needs to mature, yet we still need another front line pitcher who is a real, proven Ace. Not one on the rise.

Colby Lewis- his ship may have sailed but it is worth it to bring him back

Holland- still a head case, but a solid #3 who should be a # 2 pending him pulling his head out of his backside.

Harris- not the headcase Holland is but not what I would consider more than a #2 either. We will see how he responds to what was serious injury

Ogando- is not a starter and never should have been in that role. He is a solid set up guy and needs to go back to the BP.

Garza LOL, do I even need to say it? IF I were that inconsistent, I'd be prone to fits too...Just one more reason JDaniels sucks as GM

Price- I would still go after him given th cash that the Rangers should have.

Nathan- use his salary to go after a bigger bat. He was good , but he is long in the tooth and not going to be worth the salary he will command next year because we have youth that will fill in nicely there.

BP- with Ogando and the rest of the cast, minus Nathan, I think they will be fine.

Finally, Daniels sucks and has screwed this team the last two off seasons. It is laughable that anyone would defend him over career baseball men. As was stated the low risk high reward philosophy has wasted prime years of a few core players and the only one to blame is Daniels.

The Tex trade ship sailed two years ago. He should be fired. Unfortunately, my fear is that the owners do not see it that way and the dysfunctionality and insecurity of this sniveling twit will continue to fracture the organization and the team.

We'll see.
    Last edited by waveone; 10-02-2013 at 09:15 PM.

vCash
    I don't agree that Darvish isn't an ace. If he doesn't lose 4 1 to 0 decisions (which is absurd lack of run support) perception of him is much different. Dude had a lower ERA than Scherzer and led league in strikeouts. Sub 3 ERA for a full season pitching half games in our park you are pretty much an Ace. Definitely has Ace stuff. Don't forget it has come out that Darvish pitched much of the 2nd half of season with a shoulder problem.

vCash
    Gotta have long term solutions at 1B, C, and LF. Fill in hole at DH and right handed power OF/1B for the bench

vCash
    Do the Rangers have any prospects pushing for a roster spot on the big league club?

As long as we're on the topic of fantasy rosters, I like the idea of the Rangers going after the Cuban 1B, Alvarez. I'm done with seeing the Rangers platoon at 1B. With the ballpark the Rangers play in, it shouldn't be this difficult to find offense. There's no excuse for the Rangers not to get big bat production from their corner positions (excluding Beltre). If they REALLY want to open their wallets and get some serious pop for the offense, going hard after Cano would be awesome. I like the idea of going after McCann as well.

The rest of my offseason would involve offering Cruz a qualifying offer without him accepting so we'd get the picks. Then I'd trade Profar and Kinsler for a big, young, corner outfield bat (Upton/Stanton, etc). Then I'd re-sign A.J. to backup C with he and McCann alternating at DH. Who knows, maybe the owners will open up their wallets and use some of that new TV money.

Lineup:

Martin-CF
    Andrus-SS
    Cano-2B
    Beltre-3B
    Corner OF (whoever that is)
    McCann-C
    Rios-RF
    Alvarez-1B
    A.J.-DH

Rotation:
    Darvish
    Harrison
    Holland
    Perez
    Colby Lewis/Tepesch/Kirkman/Prospect

Pen:
    SU-Ogando
    CL-Feliz/Soria

vCash
    Here is what I think could happen:

Catcher: Rangers sign Cuban FA: Yenier Bello. They also resign Soto.

1B: they sign Abreu

Pitcher: they sign Masahiro Tanaka; Feliz moves to the pen (for good), Tanner or Soria moves to closer

DH: Rangers sign Cruz to DH

OF: Rangers trade Elvis or Kinsler for an OF, and end up eating a lot of the contract. I doubt they will trade for Gio.

This allows the Rangers to fill most of their holes, without giving up a draft pick. Some risk, but tons of upside, which is classic Daniels.

I see the Yankees signing McCann to a crazy contract.

Quest to watch a game in all 30 baseball stadiums, so far I have seen: Arizona, Atlanta, Baltimore, Boston, Chicago Cubs, Chicago White Sox, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Colorado, Detroit, Houston, Kansas City, LA Angels, LA Dodgers, Miami, NY Mets, NY Yankees, Philly, Pittsburgh, San Francisco, St. Louis, San Diego, Seattle, Tampa Bay, Texas, Toronto, Washington

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cursed Rangers View Post
    Here is what I think could happen:

Catcher: Rangers sign Cuban FA: Yenier Bello. They also resign Soto.

1B: they sign Abreu

Pitcher: they sign Masahiro Tanaka; Feliz moves to the pen (for good), Tanner or Soria moves to closer

DH: Rangers sign Cruz to DH

OF: Rangers trade Elvis or Kinsler for an OF, and end up eating a lot of the contract. I doubt they will trade for Gio.

This allows the Rangers to fill most of their holes, without giving up a draft pick. Some risk, but tons of upside, which is classic Daniels.

I see the Yankees signing McCann to a crazy contract.
    Really? Classic Daniels has sucked in all candor. Especially in the last two years. His low risk high reward moves have left holes in this team. Berkman worked out swimmingly....

Trading Elvis who is a fantastic defender and is locked up for several years would be a mistake. Eating his contract or Kinsler's would take too much out of what appears to be a shrinking budget.

Those would be horrible moves

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by waveone View Post
    Really? Classic Daniels has sucked in all candor. Especially in the last two years. His low risk high reward moves have left holes in this team. Berkman worked out swimmingly....

Trading Elvis who is a fantastic defender and is locked up for several years would be a mistake. Eating his contract or Kinsler's would take too much out of what appears to be a shrinking budget.

Those would be horrible moves
    Notice I didn't say what I wanted to happen. I said these would be classic Daniels moves, yet you don't know how much I hate what Daniels did last year. Berkman was the final straw for me, especially for what we paid him. In fact I protested the Rangers all year because of Daniels moves last offseason. I dropped my season tickets, never stepped foot in the ballpark, quit posting on Rangers forums, etc... The only time I saw the Rangers play in person was in Toronto last year - and that was just due to dumb luck.

I also hated the Garza trade and watching Edwards pitch for years in Chicago is going to suck.

Daniels has a fetish for draft picks and it would be a huge turn of events if he goes after any FA with compensation tied to them. Our farm has also taken a big hit, so trading for someone like Gio is going to be easier said than done.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cursed Rangers View Post
    Notice I didn't say what I wanted to happen. I said these would be classic Daniels moves, yet you don't know how much I hate what Daniels did last year. Berkman was the final straw for me, especially for what we paid him. In fact I protested the Rangers all year because of Daniels moves last offseason. I dropped my season tickets, never stepped foot in the ballpark, quit posting on Rangers forums, etc... The only time I saw the Rangers play in person was in Toronto last year - and that was just due to dumb luck.

I also hated the Garza trade and watching Edwards pitch for years in Chicago is going to suck.

Daniels has a fetish for draft picks and it would be a huge turn of events if he goes after any FA with compensation tied to them. Our farm has also taken a big hit, so trading for someone like Gio is going to be easier said than done.
    LOL- wow! IF that's the case, then you're tougher on Daniels than I am.

HE is NOT a good baseball man-period. Primarily as I stated because he is not a baseball man. He is horrible and frankly he's proven is despite what the Daniels groupies seem to be deluded about...

The Dempster disaster should have been an indicator of what would happen. The Cubs are snake bit and not a good organization. Unfortunately we are destined to be the same IF something does not change. That's a fact.

vCash
    The Rangers have won 2 of the last three pennants and have been to the playoffs three of the last 4years, why do you want Daniels fired?

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast