Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

What was Cashman's Best Move? Cashman's Worst Move? Season Grade?

I wanted a productive thread on the evaluation on Brian Cashman as a GM this season or his for his career.

I thought it was an unfortunate season that shouldn't completely fall on Cashman's shoulders due to the alarming rate of all the injuries.

Best Move: Trading RHP Corey Black for OF Alfonso Soriano.

Soriano led the Yankees in homers by a right handed batter. He had 50 RBI and hit 17 HR for the Yankees. He finished the season batting .255 with 34 HR and 101 RBI. Exceeded all expectations, and from my eyes he was one of our best Outfielders too.

Worst Move: Not Trading Joba/Hughes for anything mid-season when he had the chance.

Yeah Joba/Hughes were struggling and their value was at an all time low, but there's no doubt you can get something for them mid-season even if its a half open bag of doridos. Cashman banked on either of them performing well down the stretch to warrant a QO but it never happened. Neither contributed anything and regressed horribly as the year went on. Hughes went 4-14 with an ERA of 5.19 and Joba had an ERA of 4.93. Highly unlikely either gets offered a QO or even come back.

Season Grade: C (Average)
    Last edited by xabial; 10-02-2013 at 09:43 PM.

vCash

What was Cashman's Best Move? Cashman's Worst Move? Season Grade?

Signing Youk

ACE
    1-1
    7.50 ERA
    12.0 IP
    12 K
    1.33 WHIP

vCash
    Bad moves:
    1) No backup SS plan
    2) Not trading Hughes last off season
    3) No backup or front line C

Good moves:
    1) Soriano trade
    2) Reynolds pick up
    3) Overbay pick up

Most of what went wrong this year is injury-related, not GM related, but we should have started the season with a better SS and C plan and there's no reason Hughes shouldn't have been dealt last off season.

The Youk signing was horrible in hindsight. I thought it might work out at the time, although I preferred Jeff Keppinger at 3 yr 12M to Youk's 1 yr 12M deal. A Keppinger deal, in hindsight, wouldn't have been good, as he had a terrible year. I know Ry favored Mark Reynolds, and he probably would have been the best guy to get and he's probably the best guy they can get to fill in for A-Rod during the suspension.
    鈴木一郎

<a href=http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=43695&dateline=1394044691] target=_blank>http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/ima...ne=1394044691]</a>

vCash
    I can see where this is going to go already.

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    vCash
    Sauron? Oh Sauron? Where are you?

I think Soriano was a great trade. Brignac can play but got here a bit late to cover SS.

I don't think he dealt well with the SS or 3rd base situation as well as he could have.
    I think many of his risks this year backfired. Youk turned out to be a waste of 12 mil. Pronk didn't turn out well
    I would have liked to see us deal anyone that won't be here. Granderson (I know it would have been tough to deal him but I would have rather have gotten something than nothing) The same could be said for Joba, Hughes
    Last edited by Kinkotheclown; 10-01-2013 at 02:59 PM.

vCash
    Wasn't the Soriano trade made by ownership and not Cashman?

vCash
    There is not doubt, that Cash's best move was Soriano pickup (which I was against at the time.) It seemed that we didn't get the Soriano the cubs were playing, but the guy the Yanks shipped to Texas for A-Rod.
    The pickup of Overbay proved huge too.

The worst moves... it's real easy to guage a guy in hindsight. Like some have state, not trading Hughes.. though I think those are NOT moves I would have done before the season, and moves nobody could have done during the season... (really, trade hughes at the deadline? Who would have taken him? I know I wouldn't have!)

The list could be long here of moves I didn't like, but the worst has to be Youk. His injury history rather pointed out that what happened, was predicted (by many here as well.)

There were also a ton of moves to try to fill the wholes... Nelson and Brinac and Gonzalez... yikes, that list is long. Most were not really good moves... but desperation moves.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees 1903 View Post
    Wasn't the Soriano trade made by ownership and not Cashman?
    Cashman wanted Soriano but he didn't want to give up Corey black to get him. So yeah it was a ownership move.

vCash
    How can anybody consider signing players that were released a move its a win by default, Soriano was a trade pushed by ownership, Signing players that nobody wanted because you have money to waste is not an accomplishment by any means, Trading for players that another team is willing to pay the majority of there salary and now your stuck with them for another year does not impress me (Vernon Wells), So can somebody tell me a good offseason trade or a surprise free agent that he had the foresight that other gms didn't have and such player produced more than expected. Im not looking to be sarcastic just would like for someone to give me a real example of Cashman having any type of quality year

vCash
    And the worst move this year to me was thinking Hafner was a better move than Ibanez, After the year Ibanez had for us last year and the track record of Hafner what was he thinking. Does this guy ever get the DH signings correct Nick Johnson or even better telling Steinbrenner there was no need at all to sign David Ortiz that one worked out great

vCash
    The only "move" which I thought was a positive for Cashman was not wanting to re-sign Ichiro. The signings of an injury prone Youk over Reynolds and Chavez was a complete head scratcher. Whoever was going to man third base was just a backup for Arod. That's 12 million dollars for a backup third baseman. And while I'm on the subject of injury prone players, signing Hafner over Ibanez or Mike Napoli was another bone headed move. Trading for Vernon Wells over Soriano was more of the same. Wells was only intended to replace Andruw Jones off the bench. Not only do they lose Soriano, but they get the privilege of paying Wells 13 or 14 million dollars to pinch hit. Finally, not making any attempt to sign a catcher and relying on Chris Stewart. If anyone has ever wondered how Cashman would handle a team hampered by payroll I think you've got your answer. Bear in mind Cashman "only" had like 40 million to play around last offseason.

Season grade: F

Quote Originally Posted by RCSownsU View Post
    Cashman wanted Soriano but he didn't want to give up Corey black to get him. So yeah it was a ownership move.
    Cashman had zero interest in Soriano, which is why he didn't trade for him during the offseason when Soriano was actually much cheaper in trade value, and likely would have cost no more than a 30 year old minor league relief pitcher. I love how everyone is crediting Cashman with this one.
    Last edited by Webslinger; 10-01-2013 at 07:01 PM.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.

- Mark Twain

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Webslinger View Post
    The only "move" which I thought was a positive for Cashman was not wanting to re-sign Ichiro. The signings of an injury prone Youk over Reynolds and Chavez was a complete head scratcher. Whoever was going to man third base was just a backup for Arod. That's 12 million dollars for a backup third baseman. And while I'm on the subject of injury prone players, signing Hafner over Ibanez or Mike Napoli was another bone headed move. Trading for Vernon Wells over Soriano was more of the same. Wells was only intended to replace Andruw Jones off the bench. Not only do they lose Soriano, but they get the privilege of paying Wells 13 or 14 million dollars to pinch hit. Finally, not making any attempt to sign a catcher and relying on Chris Stewart. If anyone has ever wondered how Cashman would handle a team hampered by payroll I think you've got your answer. Bear in mind Cashman "only" had like 40 million to play around last offseason.

Season grade: F

Cashman had zero interest in Soriano, which is why he didn't trade for him during the offseason when Soriano was actually much cheaper in trade value, and likely would have cost no more than a 30 year old minor league relief pitcher. I love how everyone is crediting Cashman with this one.
    Nonsense. Cashman refrained from trading Gardner, Nova and Robertson for a back-up outfielder... didn't he?

Yeah that's what I thought... F+

vCash
    best: getting soriano

worst: kevin ****ing youk
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 11 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals (May 2014)

vCash
    Best: Trading for Soriano, oh wait, that was Levine and the Bros.

Worst: Letting Martin and the amazing super player in Nick "*******" Swisher go, oh wait, that was Levine and the Bros too. Does Cashman do anything?

vCash
    I'm still not a huge fan of the Soriano trade. It simply falls into the too little too late category for me. If we wanted him we should have made a push for him during the offseason as opposed to chasing Wells. By the time we acquired him we were all but out of playoff contention. I mean, sure he helped us, but the results are the same, we miss the playoffs.....

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast