• Extend Jim Johnson

0 0%
  • Trade Jim Johnson

5 45.45%
  • Trade Markakis

2 18.18%
  • Trade Hardy

0 0%
  • Acquire a top tier SP in free agency (Garza is the only one coming to mind)

3 27.27%
  • Trade for a top tier SP (would require Gausman I'm sure)

1 9.09%
  • Trade for a 2B (Flaherty, Schoop are not ready)

3 27.27%
  • Sign a 2B (obviously not Cano)

0 0%
  • Re-sign Brian Roberts

3 27.27%
  • Sign a bounce back candidate SP (Colby Lewis, Johan Santana, Roy Halladay)

6 54.55%
  • Sign a bounce back reliever

5 45.45%
  • Find a full time DH

2 18.18%
  • Improve the bench so we can have a rotational DH

3 27.27%
  • Re-sign Feldman

3 27.27%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GeronimoSon View Post
    After you get past the bad suggestions from cubs fan.. there has been quite a debate raging in St Louis over various scenarios for the Cardinals problems at SS. The Cardinals have a helluva farm system.. several young and talented and major league ready starting pitchers.. A couple are currently learning their craft at the major league level as bullpen arms..

The question becomes.. would a Shelby Miller/David Freese combination merit JJ Hardy/Henry Urrutia deal?

Is giving up the youth/potential of Urrutia along with one of the best defensive SS's in MLB worth the acquisition of a young SP with MOR/FOR stuff and a ML 3B that will allow Manny Machado to return to his natural SS spot ?

Would there be other guys that could be considered?

Would either/both teams consider adding a prospect (O's Ohlman / Cards Piscotty)?

Thoughts?
    I'd do that trade in a second. I don't have the link on me, but there was an article on fangraphs.com a few days back regarding the Hardy/Miller trade idea. Basically, in a nutshell, the said even if the Orioles offered Hardy, Eduardo Rodriguez (our 2nd best pitching prospect) and Jonathan Schoop (our #1 positional prospect), the Cardinals would most likely turn it down. I personally as an O's fan would not make that trade.

If the Cardinals offered Miller and Freese for Hardy and Urrutia, I'd take that in a second. However, I don't see a matchup occurring.

On a side note, catchers are starting to sign and it looks like McCann and Salty are the only two fish left. There are 6 AL teams with a glaring hole at catcher right now and when those two sign, there will still be four left. I want to see what a bidding war for Wieters would look like...

Quote Originally Posted by rkelly7 View Post
    I'd do that trade in a second. I don't have the link on me, but there was an article on fangraphs.com a few days back regarding the Hardy/Miller trade idea. Basically, in a nutshell, the said even if the Orioles offered Hardy, Eduardo Rodriguez (our 2nd best pitching prospect) and Jonathan Schoop (our #1 positional prospect), the Cardinals would most likely turn it down. I personally as an O's fan would not make that trade.

If the Cardinals offered Miller and Freese for Hardy and Urrutia, I'd take that in a second. However, I don't see a matchup occurring.

On a side note, catchers are starting to sign and it looks like McCann and Salty are the only two fish left. There are 6 AL teams with a glaring hole at catcher right now and when those two sign, there will still be four left. I want to see what a bidding war for Wieters would look like...
    Yeah.. you're right.. but, this trade is dead anyway.. The Angels and the Cardinals just got rid of under performing players along with a couple of throw ins.. Freese for Bourjos doesn't scream Big Time!! Salas was the Cardinals closer during their run to the World Series.. but, has fallen out of favor.. while Randall Grichuk is a AA player who's only claim to fame is he was picked before Mike Trout by the Angels when they had back to back picks that draft..

Wieters agent and his public will 'blunt' the bidding war.. imho.. The teams that need a Catcher will require a negotiating window to avoid his Wieter's pending contract walk year.. At least, these GM's should.. I guess it depends on JUST HOW DESPERATE some of them are....

I've said before that I'd like avoid this years FA market but I did some thinking and there are some guys that could help us without forcing us to be handcuffed into losing our good players in the future FA market like Davis, Weiters and Manny. I also see some potential trades that could help us. I see us needing to add more in this order- a 1# SP- like everyone else, bat/DH and 2B

What do you guys think about these trades?

-Bundy and Rodriguez to the Cubs for Jeff Samardzija and Starlin Castro
    -Schoop and Christian Walker to the Mets for Davis and Murphy
    - Brandon Philips for Jim Johnson and Mike Wright
    - Price for Bundy, Rodriguez and Shroop

I could also see us trying to sign a guy like Stephen Drew, Garrett Jones or Kendrys Morales.
    I think there are a few flier type pitchers like Ubaldo Jimenez, Ervin Santana, AJ Burnett, and Hughes

If Price was willing to sign a long term contract, as must as that is to give up, I would think about that deal the most. I still have hope for Bundy, and really like Schoop, and although Rodriquez is a nice prospect, I honestly haven't seen him enough to grade him. But if you can get one of the top pitchers in the AL, as well as the whole ML, you have to really consider it.

Some free agents I would want us to take a good look at if the price is right in no specific order:

Brian Roberts to stabilize second base.
    Ervin Santana
    Johan Santana if he gets healthy and can contribute for a lower salary.

And one bat such as the commons that have been discussed: Beltran, Soo Choo or maybe Morneau.

Also, if Jim Johnson is traded, does anyone see potentially Matusz or Hunter being the new closer? I feel Matusz would do well because he can normally get through a lineup once before getting blown up, and Tommy Hunter is just amazing.

Would love to get Price but I can't see the Rays dealing him in division, even to the O's without it being a kings ransom.

I just read that the Padres are looking to trade Headley again. I have always been a fan and last year's down year could make the price for him reasonable. Trade him for Johnson and move Manny to SS and Hardy to 2B. Do you think we could pull off a trade for him with giving up Bundy, Gausman, Rod, Hunter? If so we should do it. 2B is still a real problem for us or trading for Headley would free up Manny to move and could allow us to trade Hardy-Only if Schoop is ready. He played well in limited time last year. Of course, then we could just put him at 2B

Angels fan here. What would you guys think of a Howie Kendrick/Chris Iannetta for Matt Wieters deal? The Angels have some young guys who can step into the 2B position and I have always been a fan of Wieters. For the Orioles, they receive a top 5 2B and a very serviceable catcher to replace Wieters on a very friendly contract. Did you know that Iannetta's OBP was 71 points higher than Wieters' last year?

Quote Originally Posted by TheUltimateGM View Post
    Angels fan here. What would you guys think of a Howie Kendrick/Chris Iannetta for Matt Wieters deal? The Angels have some young guys who can step into the 2B position and I have always been a fan of Wieters. For the Orioles, they receive a top 5 2B and a very serviceable catcher to replace Wieters on a very friendly contract. Did you know that Iannetta's OBP was 71 points higher than Wieters' last year?
    Wieters is going to be moved for starting pitching help as the key to any deal. So you can pretty much forget that deal. I will say though that the O's are loading up on relief pitchers and catchers so I wouldn't be surprised to see Johnson and Wieters dealt this offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeydady View Post
    I just read that the Padres are looking to trade Headley again. I have always been a fan and last year's down year could make the price for him reasonable. Trade him for Johnson and move Manny to SS and Hardy to 2B. Do you think we could pull off a trade for him with giving up Bundy, Gausman, Rod, Hunter? If so we should do it. 2B is still a real problem for us or trading for Headley would free up Manny to move and could allow us to trade Hardy-Only if Schoop is ready. He played well in limited time last year. Of course, then we could just put him at 2B
    I really think the Headley train left Baltimore after Manny showed he could hold his own at 3b. Despite Headley's value dropping I couldn't see it having dropped so much that you could make a deal that didn't include Rod and Schoop that would get him. If they asked for Bundy or Gausman you just laugh and hang up the phone.

The other obvious pitcher who is linked to come here is Gavin Floyd. I think if healthy, he would be a great three.

Maybe having A #1, Tillman, Floyd, Chen, Feldman. Then let our players like Bundy, Gausman, Matusz, Gonzalez, Hunter, O'Day, Patton fight for bullpen spots/get healthy.

Hopefully, worst case scenario would be Tillman, (Someone like Floyd), Chen, Feldman and Gausman/Gonzalez as a fifth starter.

With the way the team is being set up, including a lot of BP arms, I can really see Johnson getting traded. Even though we always fill up on bullpen arms, it just seems like we have more so far this year.

Wieters on the other hand, I think they need to be wowed this year for him to be traded. Hopefully a #1 starting pitcher/top pitching or outfield prospect and maybe a mid level.

These are exciting times to be an O's fan.

It's exciting or scary, I haven't decided. I am frustrated with the team being run like a small market team when it keeps making a large profit for an owner who doesn't seem interested in investing in the team. Even the Twins spend money now a days to compete.

I hear ya. If the Orioles don't do anything to upgrade their starting pitching, I would be highly upset. And I don't mean get a #4 pitcher to be our ace. I understand there are very few true #1's in the league, but Tillman can't continue to be our ace of the staff. Despite lots of people saying he would be a decent #3, I think he can be good #2 this year.

In a dream scenario for me, i'd upgrade the pitching like said above, bring back Roberts for 1 year with Schoop hopefully being ready to take over midway through the season, sign a LF who can get on base, and sign a full-time DH/1st baseman who can rotate with Chris Davis when needed.

Of course all of those can't happen, and we just have to pick our biggest needs and hope the other positions fill themselves out over time.

I agree with you. I hate Tillman being a #1 but I am very comfortable with him as a 2 and if he is someone's 3 at his age then you have one of the best rotations in the game. The problem I see is there is no starters that can be added now who are going to be better than him for this season. We aren't trading for someone because our minors are so thin that we would have to strip mine all of our decent prospects. We have drafted a lot of high school players the past few years and generally they take longer to develop unless they are really special ie Manny. The college guys we have picked, we just got unlucky and a lot of them (and I am thinking the Klines of the world) got hurt and their development has been slowed down. That wasn't bad drafting that was just bad luck. I don't know how we are going to bring in guys to change this team unless we are waiting to get lucky and some team doesn't off arbitration to a decent youngish or mid level player today and we go after them

With all the talk about Jim Johnson going to the Dodgers, what do you think we could get? I heard they are interested in moving an OF. If the Dodgers ate some, or most of the contract, I would take a chance on getting Kemp healthy or putting him at DH. Even better would be getting young talent like Dee Gordon, Zach Lee or Patterson for Johnson.

Any deal involving Zach Lee for JJ, I am all in on. I can't see Dee Gordon being included without us giving up a bunch of prospects. JJ is good but his ten million price tag plays against us in dealing him.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast