Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

"You prepare like you're trying to stop a train

Bears rookie Long gets quite an education facing Suh

Facebook
    Twitter

By Rich Campbell, Chicago Tribune reporter
    6:43 pm, September 29, 2013
    DETROIT Kyle Long sat at his locker, still wearing his jersey, shoulder pads and game pants, more than 20 minutes after the Bears' 40-32 loss to the Lions was complete. As his teammates dressed and packed for the short flight home, the rookie tried to process his rugged matchup with Lions Pro Bowl defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh.

"You prepare like you're trying to stop a train that's got some momentum," Long said, "and that's what he feels like."

Long wasn't totally run over, but he wasn't Superman.

Suh had two sacks and forced a fumble that defensive tackle Nick Fairley returned 4 yards for a touchdown. Long also committed a costly illegal use of the hands penalty while blocking Suh in the third quarter.

For the Bears' first-round draft pick, blocking one of the NFL's most powerful and explosive defenders was a major challenge.

"That's a grown man that I played against today, that we all played against today," Long said.

He blocked Suh one-on-one at times. Center Roberto Garza helped him at others. Suh didn't always win, but he won enough to significantly hinder a Bears offense that sputtered during the second and third quarters.

Whatever impression Long made on him, Suh did not share.

"I didn't have any thoughts," Suh said. "Really, just, I wanted to affect the quarterback and affect the running back and not allow them to be successful."

Long emerged with successes and failures to build upon.

On Matt Forte's 53-yard touchdown run in the second quarter, Suh came off the ball upright. Long stayed low and swung his hips to seal Suh inside. That helped Forte to scamper around the edge.

Suh responded late in the quarter with the first of his two sacks. On third-and-4, he kept his pads lower than Long's.

"He got under me initially," Long said. "I just tried to kick my feet back and sink my hips, but he beat me."

Long tried to twist Suh to the right, but Suh fell into quarterback Jay Cutler's leg.

"I didn't know where Jay was, so that's on me," Long said.

The Bears trailed 30-16 in the third quarter and faced third-and-8 when Long illegally blocked Suh in the head. Long appeared to shove his left hand into Suh's face and neck. It negated a completion that converted the first down, and Cutler threw an interception on the next play.

Suh made his biggest play on the next series. On third-and-10, Long initially blocked Suh with a one-handed punch to the chest. Suh, however, then looped to the left around defensive end Willie Young. No one on the Bears line adjusted to block Suh. Long was pinned inside, and Cutler held the ball long enough for Suh to sack and strip him.

Cutler blamed himself for not throwing the ball in accordance with the three-step drop included in the play call. "That's on me," he said.

Afterward, Long at least appreciated the challenge. He's eager for another matchup against Suh when the teams play in Chicago on Nov. 10

"To get to play against a guy like that, a front like that, you definitely can learn a lot from that even in a loss," Long said. "We'll get to see those guys again, so we'll just battle back."

LFLOL & LFFS after secretly glancing at the ***** forum
    click here to join the Lions Forum
    Lions Forum: 5 Time OTT Winner#1,#6,#10,#12 & #14
    Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    Lffs is the master at going from goofball to boss

vCash
    goat 0 sacks.

Quote Originally Posted by DreDrum#1 View Post
    This is where nba experts are find SVG's worth and the Pistons seed projection: 11th in the east. Like i said: SVG hasnt done $h!t

http://www.freep.com/videonetwork/3679829820001

vCash

vCash
    Forgive me for asking but what is this forum's obsession with Kyle Long?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LionsFan..LOL View Post
    Response to bears forum and their belief that Long would handle Suh...I think.

PSD Lions Fantasy Football Champ

IamDanGill on twitter.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danielleighgill View Post
    If you check out their gt you'd see they said that long would win suh & it wouldn't be close. They later played the chuck Norris vs k long game... So we're playing along also.

vCash
    (Short answer)
    Kyle Long made us.

vCash
    I'm afraid that Kyle Long will take away my birthday if I don't show him the proper respect. That's why I'm doing it.

Fish Pasty

vCash
    One of the Bears posters in a thread in the main said that hated Suh so much that he hoped that Trestman would put Long on Suh all game with the sole intention of ****ing Suh up. You knew reading it at the time that it wouldn't end well for the guy.

vCash
    Long < Suh

2013 & 2014 Lions Forum Draft Prediction Game Champion

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by whooligun View Post
    Long < Suh

Don't piss off Mr. Long.

Fish Pasty

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Five Angels View Post
    One of the Bears posters in a thread in the main said that hated Suh so much that he hoped that Trestman would put Long on Suh all game with the sole intention of ****ing Suh up. You knew reading it at the time that it wouldn't end well for the guy.
    I had no idea this is where it started. I just like following the crowd. I'm a follower.

Fish Pasty

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danielleighgill View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionsfanfromsac View Post
    If you check out their gt you'd see they said that long would win suh & it wouldn't be close. They later played the chuck Norris vs k long game... So we're playing along also.
    Quote Originally Posted by Five Angels View Post
    Ahh I see. I never read their forum and barely read the NFL one so I missed that. Carry on then.

vCash
    I also read a couple posts to the affect of "I hope long takes out suh for the season" "Long would kill suh in a fight" One guy said i hope suh dont destroy us and a response was "LOL we got long"

So,

Kyle Long is my hero

--------------BTW
    Whatever bear fan said Suh only had one tackle most have been an idiot, He has 13 now, So unless he got 12 against the bears that fan must have pulled stats out of his anus

vCash
    Ahh I see. I never read their forum and barely read the NFL one so I missed that. Carry on then.
    Yeah I'm with ya on this. I knew if I read a statement like that and posted I would have been banned. So I basically stay away from the main and Bears forum for that reason.

Florida State Seminoles Overall: 14-0 ACC: 8-0 (BCS National Champions )

Favorite Teams
    Detroit Red Wings 37-27-14 Pts.: 88
    Detroit LionsWelcome to Detroit Jim Caldwell!!!
    Detroit Tigers 4-1
    North Carolina Tarheels Mens Basketball Good Season Boys!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast