Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Tortorella - like or not so far?

I know it's early but what do people think of Tortorella so far? I'm interested in what you guys see over the course of the season, and since it's starting tomorrow ...

What do you think is and isn't working?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ink View Post
    I know it's early but what do people think of Tortorella so far? I'm interested in what you guys see over the course of the season, and since it's starting tomorrow ...

What do you think is and isn't working?
    Well, judging by that 5-0 win over AV's Rangers last week, it's awesome eh? (hehe) Yeah, I know, only pre-season.

All I've been hearing since Torts got hired is that the Canucks' star players will have to block a lot of shots and all of the players will be constantly yelled at. But this is out of the mouths of the haters.

I'm so excited for this season, feel that Edler will have a huge year. Pressure is also off the Sedins a bit, as they will be relied on for more than just scoring goals (they'll also see PK time and play more defensively), and it sounds like they're looking forward to playing that style. Lu has looked very solid in pre-season and I'm sure he has a chip on his shoulder and will want to impress the Canadian Olympic powers that be. But I really believe that the success of this team will depend on Kesler, Booth and Kassian. They must remain healthy.

vCash
    I think Tortorella will get the most out of Kesler.

I don't agree with his philosophy to have the Sedins block shots. It already cost us Jordan Schroeder. Plus Daniel already had a broken foot from blocking a shot.. 2 or 3 years ago.

I do think the team will play better on a nightly basis though. The team was coasting way too much last year and the year before.

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    http://imgur.com/a/4UK1e <---- BEST 10-15 SECONDS EVER

vCash
    Tortorella is a horrible coach, I am going to be against him until he's gone. Luongo has looked amazing so far though.

Rachel Zane: You're a sneaky little boy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GrkGawdofWalkz View Post
    Tortorella is a horrible coach, I am going to be against him until he's gone. Luongo has looked amazing so far though.
    Well, it is early to tell, but I'm lovin' the amount of shots the Canucks are letting fly. Shots from everywhere. Looking forward to Kassian returning as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GrkGawdofWalkz View Post
    In what way? He's already motivated these guys to play better than they have in years. They still lack talent to be a threat but he's getting more out of them than AV did. And the hockey is more exciting to watch.

vCash
    So far, Tortorella is jumbling the lines more than AV. Yet, he's getting praised for it. So, how come when AV did that, everyone hated it?

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiants5518 View Post
    So far, Tortorella is jumbling the lines more than AV. Yet, he's getting praised for it. So, how come when AV did that, everyone hated it?
    I didn't. Every coach juggles lines

vCash
    There is a big difference between mixing lines 4 games into your tenure and what AV would do. Also the reference to Torts being a horrible coach then backing AV is laughable. AV was routinely outcoached, and the bigger the game the worse it got.

vCash
    I didn't. Every coach juggles lines
    Okay, maybe it was just people on the Canucks.com forum. Because i would often read that one of the reasons they dind't like AV was the lines.

<3

vCash
    Botchford with a pretty cool article about what the players think of Torts so far:

If you were to map a successful John Tortorella launch, it might look a lot like the Canucks first week of the season.

A 3-1 record with an uptempo, high-event approach Tortorella summed up this way:

“I don’t believe in counter-punching. I believe in inflicting.”

Oh yes, that quote will resonate in Vancouver.

So will the pair of gut-check, come-from-behind wins, as long as you don’t spend too much time patting down the rosters the New Jersey Devils and Calgary Flames have been rolling out. (Hint, you’d feel a lot of cold garbage.)

Three early wins against bad teams aren’t going to help the Canucks brass, which hired Tortorella at some risk, sleep at night. But it’s better than the alternative.

“It’s better than 1-3, where I think people would second-guess a lot of things,” Chris Higgins said. “But there’s a long way to go.”

Sure is.

Lose to San Jose Thursday, and make it nine straight losses to the Sharks, and the Canucks will be seen as a team still spinning its tires.

But there is at least evidence now the Canucks have overcome their first obstacle to this season. That was always going to be embracing a new coach who is nothing like the old one.

That hasn’t been a problem. The Sedins have been gushing about everything Tortorella, including his shot-blocking demands and continuous line-changing.

Players seem to believe there is a “Torts effect” that can push them when they’re losing.

Roberto Luongo put it this way on TSN: “Torts won’t let us quit.”

Some may take comments like this, and ones on the line-changing and the aggressive forecheck, which have been coming from Vancouver’s leadership, as swipes at Alain Vigneault. But I’m unconvinced that’s what’s going on here.

This is an aging core, with a closing window of opportunity to win, in need of something to believe in. For now, they believe in Tortorella.

It seems the coach who reportedly lost the locker-room in New York has been making it easy on them here to start. The guy with the hard-***, bully reputation has kept things positive more often than not to start his Canucks career.

“He really builds you up before games and in-between periods,” Jason Garrison said. “He’s a very good motivator.

“You get pumped up. He’s very good at it. It’s a lot of fun listening to him.”

Tortorella is Johnny Goodtimes? Players in the locker-room are having a lot of fun?

Yeah, didn’t see that coming.

What was predictable was Tortorella’s hands-on approach to in-game coaching. He has an incessant need to line-change.

“If you like playing together, you better show the coach,” Higgins said.

Tortorella will bury his fourth line, nightly. And he’ll ride his best players, hard.

He will use timeouts, and called one late in Tuesday’s win against the Devils during a power play to get the Sedins more ice time.

Tortorella has made good on his promise to promote players who are excelling. Mike Santorelli has worked his way from a bubble player to third-line centre, to where he is now, on the top line with the Sedins.

Alex Edler was having a good game Tuesday and ended up playing more than 11 minutes in the third.

The players seem convinced he’s had a significant role in both comeback wins.

“For sure he did,” Garrison said. “He’s come into the periods and told us what we’re doing wrong and told us what we need to do be better.

“It’s up to us to do that.

“He’s very easy to talk to and he gets his point across.

“Just don’t do anything to aggravate him.”

It wasn’t a given that a veteran team which has won a lot of regular games over the years would be accepting of the Tortorella way. But Kevin Bieksa said this team was hungry for it.

“You see a lot of times he’ll stop the practice and teach,” Bieksa said. “We’re taking it all in.

“There is pride in the room. But everyone has checked their egos. Everyone is willing to learn because everyone knows they can get better.

“When you have all of your top guys willing to be coached, it funnels down.”

Tortorella dismissed the notion he had any impact in the comeback wins against Calgary and New Jersey.

“I think coaches have too big a role in wins and in losses,” Tortorella said. “Coaches are just guidance counsellors.”

Sure. Tortorella is just a really expensive guidance counsellor.
    http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/h...565/story.html

<3

vCash

Tortorella - like or not so far?

There's no doubt that T is getting more out of this lineup than AV did - at least in his last few years.

vCash
    There's no doubt that T is getting more out of this lineup than AV did - at least in his last few years.
    Garrison and Higgins have benefited the most IMO.

<3

vCash
    So far so good, but like Ozzie Guillen in Baseball, the fuse is already covered in kerosene. All it takes is a spark. His system is just so dated to me. But he is producing.

Rachel Zane: You're a sneaky little boy.