Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Leavin' Las Vegas

I called this many months ago. Hope it happens.

Syracuse Chiefs Consider Changes After Attendance Decline

After three straight years of declining attendance and growing debt, changes are coming to the Syracuse Chiefs. And it’s not clear whether the future of the International League franchise will include the Simone family, whose name has been synonymous with professional baseball in Syracuse for more than five decades.

The board of directors for the community-owned Chiefs met last Friday to discuss the team’s financial woes—which, according to the Syracuse (N.Y.) Post-Standard, include a $500,000 operating loss this season and $64,000 owed in back rent at NBT Bank Stadium—and have called another meeting for this evening. The Chiefs have been the Nationals’ Triple-A affiliate since 2009, following 30 years with the Blue Jays.

“The board is wrestling with some changes, and there will be some—that is a foregone conclusion. But different folks on the board have different thoughts on what direction they should go,” said International League president Randy Mobley, who attended Friday’s session to serve as what he called “a resource” to members of the board. “Tonight could be a very important night in the future of that ballclub.”
    -- baseballamerica.com

The Chiefs agreement with the Nationals expires after the 2014 season. It's possible that the Chiefs will consider partnering with the Mets in 2015 to boost sagging attendance. If the Mets AAA affiliate performs well in 2014 and the Mets show measurable improvement as well, the chances of an agreement ought to increase substantially.
    John Maeda@johnmaeda

Knowing the overall *shape* of an idea, argument, situation requires as many facts, models, opinions as you can take/make to see a whole.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    I called this many months ago. Hope it happens.

Syracuse Chiefs Consider Changes After Attendance Decline

-- baseballamerica.com

The Chiefs agreement with the Nationals expires after the 2014 season. It's possible that the Chiefs will consider partnering with the Mets in 2015 to boost sagging attendance. If the Mets AAA affiliate performs well in 2014 and the Mets show measurable improvement as well, the chances of an agreement ought to increase substantially.
    To continue here because PSD is fupped up.

Financial instability may prompt Syracuse shareholders to seek an alliance with a team closer to home. Kind of ironic, but what the hell.
    John Maeda@johnmaeda

Knowing the overall *shape* of an idea, argument, situation requires as many facts, models, opinions as you can take/make to see a whole.

vCash
    Seems like attendance id down all over minor league parks.

vCash
    I know someone who's not leaving Las Vegas...Wally Backman. I make me laugh.

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    -Sun Tzu

vCash
    This would be great. Hope it happens.

vCash
    I see this as pretty realistic as long as we keep up our minor league success. Pretty much all our minor league teams were successful. If this is going to be our trend then having the NY market seems pretty logical for the Chiefs.

vCash
    At the end of the day the ML team is what teams are judged by. If we are cheap at the ML level, it speaks as to how we ultimately view our farm systems. The idea of winning needs to run throughout the organization and not just at certain levels. Additionally, there needs to be a track record of winning, not sporadic streaks.

This off-season is very important for many reasons. We need to prove to our fan base and to the baseball world that we are a professional team that's not run by cheapskates. 2 years of very competitive minor league teams, with good drafting, and an improved ML team is how you get respect. That's how you get out of Las Vegas.

vCash
    Ahhh, Syracuse. I remember going to MacArthur Stadium when the Chiefs were the Yankee's affiliate (the place was . . . well, it was a dump).

Maybe I can make another summer trip (if they affiliate with the Mets) and take in the NYS Fair (we actually go quite often) and some games.
    Scarecrow: I haven't got a brain... only straw.
    Dorothy: How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
    Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
    Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

vCash
    I sure hope that this happens ... it would put AA and AAA 1 hour apart ..... I go to Binghamton regularly and like it there a lot. It would make a nice AA/AAA road trip .... ...went to Vegas to see a game this year, the facility is so-so at best ........

Anybody know what the stadium in Syracuse is like?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skipr1 View Post
    I sure hope that this happens ... it would put AA and AAA 1 hour apart ..... I go to Binghamton regularly and like it there a lot. It would make a nice AA/AAA road trip .... ...went to Vegas to see a game this year, the facility is so-so at best ........

Anybody know what the stadium in Syracuse is like?
    Replaced old MacArthur Park 15 years ago. Supposed to be decent. Never been there myself.
    John Maeda@johnmaeda

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Magoo View Post
    He's probably leaving the Mets...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    He's probably leaving the Mets...
    Most likely.

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    -Sun Tzu

vCash
    Most likely.
    Who will offer him a MLB job? I'll put the odds at 1:50.
    John Maeda@johnmaeda

vCash
    I work in Syracuse and attend a lot of games at NBT stadium. It's alright, but not great. Would be awesome to see the Mets affiliate there instead of the Nats.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Who will offer him a MLB job? I'll put the odds at 1:50.
    Maybe he gets the job in Washington. If he gets a MLB manager position, that's the most likely landing spot.

Don't forget that someone might also offer him a job as a coach. The only way I see him staying with the Mets in Vegas is if no one else offers him a job.

Consider 2 other possibilities that would keep him from returning.
    1. The Mets no longer want their newly re-signed manager to have to live under the constant speculation that he's just keeping Wally's chair warm.
    2. Wally has had enough of sitting back and waiting for a job, when it is now clear that he will likely never get it.

-Sun Tzu

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast