Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Training Camp and Preseason Thread

we discuss everything up to opening night in here

vCash
    I liked hearing that Batum wants to be a leader now, after winning his gold medal and being pushed by Parker this summer. I read he had other motives before like getting certain stats, or looking a certain way, but now understands how putting the team first and leading by example can lead to a championship. Apparently he was following through in the first practice and working hard, and setting the standard for everyone else. That could be huge for this season.

Also thought it was cool how one of the vets--pretty sure it was Aldridge-- said he was very impressed with CJ and that he reminded him of Andre Miller or Sam Cassell.

Seems like guys like Robinson, Leonard, and Freeland will show up too, even if they are just role players at this point. They are all motivated.

vCash
    I'm very excited about this team...Also this is perhaps the most complete team we have had in a long time. We are going to be dealing with an issue that we haven't had in a while. Not enough minutes for our guys.

Most excited about:
    TRob---going to be a beast on rebounding and defense.
    Mo/CJ/Lillard---Scoring small guards that can dribble, pass, shoot, and drive. We aren't going to stop attacking. The other teams are going to be like "damn...I don't get any rest when one comes out because the next one is just as fast and dangerous"
    Lopez---This guy is on an upside...We are getting him for the best part of his career. We have missed out on so many good players after there time was over (Sabonis, Pippen, Delef, Steve Smith, Kemp, Camby, G Wallace, Andre Miller) or had players that did well after they left us (Oneal, Jarret Jack) Heck even Crawford and Felton did better sandwiched around the year for us.
    Batum, Wes, LA--This small young vet core's time is right now. This is there 2 year window to make noise. After that Wes will be on his downside---LA will be 30 and Batum will have been in the league to long to say when is he going to show up consistently.

You put that together and WOW...
    So Say We All!!!

vCash
    Things this season that I fear won't happen unless there is a injury:

Playing time for CJ...With the signing of Mo I believe that CJ will take a back seat. Mo is ready to go and won't be easily set aside for CJ. This will cost him the Rookie of the Year which has a starter he would have a very good chance of getting.

Playing time for Claver...I really like the way Claver plays. He is always in motion and for a big man thats hard to accomplish and make plays. With the signing of Dornell and TRob I believe Clavers minutes just went away.

Crabbe, Freeland, and Barton won't get anything but garbage minutes. Watson was signed for mentoring/coaching/insurance reasons. He isn't expecting playing time.

I feel bad for CJ and Claver because they both need minutes to get them to the next level and they will have a hard time achieving that with the current roster.

I feel the back up minutes will be:
    Lopez 26 mins----Leonard 18 mins----LA 4 mins
    LA 32 mins----TRob-16 mins
    Batum 34 mins----Dorell 14 mins
    Wes 35 mins----Mo 5 mins---CJ 8 mins
    Lillard 35 mins----Mo 13 mins

These are more averages---I can't see coach playing the others because Dorell is a great small forward pick up and you need to grow Leonad, CJ, and TRob. Also MO is to good to not play both positions
    So Say We All!!!

vCash
    LMA wont play a single minute at C this year unless Lopez and/or Leonard have fouled out or are out due to injury. He sure as hell wont average 4 minutes at it. Those 4 minutes will be given to Leonard unless playing small ball at which point TRob will get a couple. Also I thought I read earlier in the summer that they wanted to keep Damian to 32 a game on average. It was not a minute cap and if he was on fire they would not yank him once hit 32 minutes, just they prefer not to let his average to far beyond it. Outside of those I think you got it right.

That was always my least favorite point of NBA video games. I would pull off masterful deals to bring in all these really really good players and then go to set lineups and realize just not enough minutes to go around.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kao Sorn View Post
    Things this season that I fear won't happen unless there is a injury:

Playing time for CJ...With the signing of Mo I believe that CJ will take a back seat. Mo is ready to go and won't be easily set aside for CJ. This will cost him the Rookie of the Year which has a starter he would have a very good chance of getting.

Playing time for Claver...I really like the way Claver plays. He is always in motion and for a big man thats hard to accomplish and make plays. With the signing of Dornell and TRob I believe Clavers minutes just went away.

Crabbe, Freeland, and Barton won't get anything but garbage minutes. Watson was signed for mentoring/coaching/insurance reasons. He isn't expecting playing time.

I feel bad for CJ and Claver because they both need minutes to get them to the next level and they will have a hard time achieving that with the current roster.

I feel the back up minutes will be:
    Lopez 26 mins----Leonard 18 mins----LA 4 mins
    LA 32 mins----TRob-16 mins
    Batum 34 mins----Dorell 14 mins
    Wes 35 mins----Mo 5 mins---CJ 8 mins
    Lillard 35 mins----Mo 13 mins

These are more averages---I can't see coach playing the others because Dorell is a great small forward pick up and you need to grow Leonad, CJ, and TRob. Also MO is to good to not play both positions
    I think it is fair to say Mo will play limited minutes or be hurt fairly often. He already hurt himself on the first or second day of training camp. I think CJ is the type that is so motivated that he will have success one way or another. Yes he might miss out on ROY without more minutes, but he will still evolve into a good player.

Freeland looked pretty good in a training camp video I watched, although that is something to not put too much weight on. It will be tough seeing who gets minutes out of T Rob, Meyers, and Freeland.

I haven't seen much on Claver recently, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him get minutes when he fits a role better than Wright.

In other news I just read this:
    #Blazers F @Nicolas88batum says G @Dame_Lillard has gotten considerably better since last season: "I'm surprised he improved that much."
    from chris haynes twitter

vCash
    Well the worst has happened for CJ:
    #Blazers CJ McCollum suffered a fractured fifth metatarsal bone in his left foot during practice Saturday. Surgery has not been scheduled.
    Joe Freeman twitter

We know he'll study the game while out, but hopefully he also looks into his health and anything he can do to increase his durability.

vCash
    didnt take long for the injuries to come down. LMA with the quad now CJ, awesome

vCash
    team needs to hire a good nutritionist or something. Pro athletes shouldn't be straining muscles during practices, and feet shouldn't break easily, (granted I don't know how easily CJ's foot broke).

vCash
    I believe that LA will play center this year because if your the coach and you need to make the game faster then you place LA at center and run Claver/Batum/TRob at the 4 spot. Leonard/Lopez are still 7 foot monsters that can't dribble.

Any player will play more minutes if there hot and less if not. The starters will still get there minutes but the bench will be held to that standard. Play good and stay in...miss cues or shots and sit on the bench.

To bad for CJ...however it does take care of coaches minutes problem and gets the pressure of ROY talk. Coach said it in an earlier interview the "CJ had was going to have a real hard time earning minutes. He only has 96 minutes for We, Lillard, and Mo." We won't see many Forward mins this year with Claver/Batum/Dorell. This gives those 3 32 each with. Hopefully CJ can come back before Mo goes down.
    So Say We All!!!

vCash
    Did you ever want to just stop practicing and tell them to wait until game time. How about putting a red shirt on Lillard and tell everyone that you can't touch him. Play hard but don't touch.
    So Say We All!!!

vCash
    first game tonight

no CJ

vCash
    I was hoping someone would have info about the fan night scrimmage thing from last night. I heard TRob had 17 points and 12 rebounds while getting mvp of the game. Anyone got links to video? numbers?

vCash
    Concerning CJ looks like this is the second time he has broken that same foot.

vCash
    Heard CJ talk about the injury. Said it was off of a twisted ankle from stepping on someone's foot. He said it didn't hurt nearly as much as when he broke his foot last year, and was actually able to walk to go get the xray before he knew. He also said the team does regular testing for stress on the body and imbalances that would suggest higher potential for certain injuries and he actually was one of the more even and ready to go players on the team as of the morning of the day he got injured. Who knows maybe this will be a short recovery time injury. Maybe a couple months.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast