Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Pittsburgh Residents, Has The Pirates Success Made The Steelers Irrelrvant?

If you was to ask yourself and others in Pittsburgh, do they care less about the Steelers now that the Pirates are good? Are fans a bit nonchalant about the Steelers now? Is Pittsburgh historically a football town or a baseball town?
    For the best sports gifs and memes visit
    http://aviewfromthebleachers.tumblr.com/

vCash
    It's bittersweet right now. For the first time in over 20 years, it's genuinely fun to watch the Pirates, but the Steelers have muted some of that fun with their worst start since 1968. At least the Penguins start soon.
    "...more talking went on between us all until [Roethlisberger and his entourage] left the bar. Then I seperated with [name redacted] and the other girls and went with another group, and everything else happened, and I was told about it this morning and felt I needed to give my statement. Looking back and hearing all of the details, it seems to me that it was a set-up, and so I think this needed to be told."

-Victoria Garofalo, Zeta Tau Alpha sorority sister, in a statement to the GBI

vCash

As my grandpap says....it's illegal for one city to have 3 playoff caliber teams.

Too bad I'm only a steelers fan.

Go Ref Sox!!
    Warning, my sig is NSFW. But hot damn is it hot:

Click here to see how awesome.

vCash
    Honestly there's a ton of bandwagon pirates fans right now around the city. As far as die hards I'd say
    Steelers
    Penguins(barley below)
    Pirates.

Honestly living in the city and being all around it on a daily basis the penguins are probably the most popular team in the city over the last 5 years.
    Every where I go I see more pens gear then anything else even in the offseason.

Honestly what's happening is with the steelers doing bad and the pirates doing good your seeing a lot of so called "Steelers fans" jumping ship to the Pirates or Pens.

But Pittsburgh has always traditionally been a football town.

vCash
    Its taking a lot of attention off how bad we are right now. Pittsburgh will always be a football town though. If the Pirates weren't having the year they had I cant imagine the heat the Steelers would be under

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm2054 View Post
    Honestly there's a ton of bandwagon pirates fans right now around the city. As far as die hards I'd say
    Steelers
    Penguins(barley below)
    Pirates.

Honestly living in the city and being all around it on a daily basis the penguins are probably the most popular team in the city over the last 5 years.

Honestly what's happening is with the steelers doing bad and the pirates doing good your seeing a lot of so called "Steelers fans" jumping ship to the Pirates or Pens.

I think characterizing the Penguins as barely below is a bit much. Recall it was only a few years ago that team was playing in front of half empty crowds and Lemieux was threatening to move the team. They are undoubtedly second but like the Pirates fans they have a lot of bandwagon fans.

The Pirates are my top team always have been but make no mistake Pittsburgh is a football town. To the city hockey and baseball are nice and all but it doesn't take much for both to drop off the radar. The Steelers though they are king and it isn't really even close.
    Follow Me On Twitter: @battling_bucs

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    As my grandpap says....it's illegal for one city to have 3 playoff caliber teams.

Too bad I'm only a steelers fan.

Go Ref Sox!!
    2008 was insane here in New England.

vCash

It was. All my cousins from my dads side are New England natives like myself. Only they are straight up Boston fans. They called it the greatest single season in one city for sports.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by burgh_fan66:27124081
    Steelers
    Penguins(barley below)
    Pirates.

I think characterizing the Penguins as barely below is a bit much. Recall it was only a few years ago that team was playing in front of half empty crowds and Lemieux was threatening to move the team. They are undoubtedly second but like the Pirates fans they have a lot of bandwagon fans.

The Pirates are my top team always have been but make no mistake Pittsburgh is a football town. To the city hockey and baseball are nice and all but it doesn't take much for both to drop off the radar. The Steelers though they are king and it isn't really even close.
    My age group 18-23 is way more pens fans Steelers control every other age groups though and the pens moving was ten years ago

vCash
    My age group 18-23 is way more pens fans Steelers control every other age groups though and the pens moving was ten years ago
    That might be a fair assessment. 10 years is really not that long ago. I still vividly recall the 2003-04 season it was awful to watch and that is why I cringe every time someone tries to call Pittsburgh hockey town. That was when hockey and the Penguins needed support the most and the city as a whole just wasn't there. There was a lockout looming, the team had a good young core and one of the best to ever play the game. It was a chance for the city to step up and show everyone just how much a lost season would mean and Pittsburgh failed miserably.

Oddly though the lockout did seem to provide a resurgence as attendance shot up 33% the season after the lockout despite the Penguins still being an awful team. So it appears the thing that very nearly killed hockey is what saved it in Pittsburgh. The Penguins are popular now sure but I can't help but think all it will take is a couple of down seasons to see that popularity fall off a cliff. The city had its chance to show how much it loved hockey when the sport was in its darkest hour and they shunned it.

vCash
    Another way to think about it take the average Pittsburgher and expand the conversation past the home town team, even the 18-23 age group. Which of the three sports do you think the average individual could carry on a better conversation about? Just a hunch but I think you'll find a better conversation about the San Diego Chargers than you will the San Jose Sharks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by burgh_fan66 View Post
    Another way to think about it take the average Pittsburgher and expand the conversation past the home town team, even the 18-23 age group. Which of the three sports do you think the average individual could carry on a better conversation about? Just a hunch but I think you'll find a better conversation about the San Diego Chargers than you will the San Jose Sharks.
    I agree with that assessment but for now the pens will stay very popular for at least another ten years having 2 of the top 5 players in the world

vCash
    Can a Pittsburgher over the age of 40 confirm that The Burgh is a baseball town?
    I was listening to the Fan, and one of hosts said Pittsburgh has always been a baseball town.
    For the best sports gifs and memes visit
    http://aviewfromthebleachers.tumblr.com/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Canon View Post
    Can a Pittsburgher over the age of 40 confirm that The Burgh is a baseball town?
    I was listening to the Fan, and one of hosts said Pittsburgh has always been a baseball town.
    No Pittsburgh has always been a football town first. That host is an idiot.

vCash

Pittsburgh was first and foremost a baseball town. Back in the 50's and 60's when the pirates were good then and football was just a way to pass time. They had a MLB team a Negro League team and two minor league teams within the city. And the steelers had only won 10 games in the time. Baseball in Pittsburgh survived the wars. Steelers became the Steagles.

In the 70's the city was torn with the rise of the Steelers and the dominance of the Pirates.

In the 80's it was mostly the Pirates making noise.

In the 90's and 00's it was the Pens and the Steelers.

Now the Pens and Pirates are making noise.

So in short. It's all about the time period.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast