Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: How will the ALDS go?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • A's in three

1 11.11%
  • Tigers in three

0 0%
  • A's in four

3 33.33%
  • Tigers in four

1 11.11%
  • A's in five

3 33.33%
  • Tigers in five

1 11.11%
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Confirmed: Oakland A's to face Detroit Tigers in ALDS rematch

It's official. If we're going to win a world series this year, we'll have to do it. Something we've failed at twice before. We'll have to beat those pesky Detroit Tigers. I think our 2013 team is far superior to both the 2012 and 2006 teams that lost in ALDS and ALCS match-ups respectively. I KNOW this team can do it, and I can't wait to get it started. The Tigers are a personal enemy of mine after all they've done to us in past years. Anyway, back to the actual series. You have to figure it's going to be Colon and Parker in games 1 & 2. 3 and 4 could go a few different ways. Personally, (and I know this sounds crazy) I wouldn't mind seeing AJ start game 1 simply because of his superior play at home, and because of the fact that I feel Bartolo would be able to keep his cool better in big playoff situations on the road. But I'm not Bob Melvin, so who knows. SO psyched though to see 2 straight playoff appearances, let's take it all the way this year!!!!!

vCash
    I am really scared of throwing aj griffin in for a start. He loves giving up the long ball. I'd rather give the start to gray

vCash
    They other night, I re-watched game 4(Just cuz of its shear epicness), needless to say it got me pretty pumped up. While watching it though...they showed the lineup, and I was kinda like...ew. Stephen Drew and Cliff Pennington up the middle. I mean I like Pennington's defense and all...but that bat...And Drew...he's an OK player and all, and we basically gave up nothing to get him, but man he just didn't really provide a whole lot for us, and he was batting second. I much prefer Lowrie and Sogard/Callaspo. I think last year the team's quick development even took the front office by surprise, so they hadn't had much of a chance to try and plug the holes that we had. We're much more prepared this year, and with more experience. Norris is much improved, although I don't know how much playing time he's going to get against that all righty lineup. We've also had time to get our playoff rotation in order whereas last year we were just trying to get in.
    Last edited by Cheezombie; 09-29-2013 at 02:42 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BKdoubleStacker View Post
    I am really scared of throwing aj griffin in for a start. He loves giving up the long ball. I'd rather give the start to gray
    I think Gray is in the rotation regardless. One thing I've been thinking about...If Anderson does well in whatever relief appearances we see him in, and we move on the the LCS, I'm wondering if they'll consider giving him a start.

vCash
    Brett Anderson has been the opposite of trustworthy in relief appearances. I'm not sure if I can even trust putting him on the ALDS roster

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LakersA's49ers View Post
    Brett Anderson has been the opposite of trustworthy in relief appearances. I'm not sure if I can even trust putting him on the ALDS roster
    I disagree. Most of his problems stem from an insanely high BABIP. He keeps inducing ground balls and they keep squeaking through. His peripherals have been good all year, and even better since he's come off the DL.

Since DL return
    K/9: 9.77
    BB/9: 3.45
    xFIP: 2.64
    BABIP: .395

There is no way that BABIP continues, and he has as high a ceiling as any on the team. I have no doubt he'll be on the playoff roster. If he does well in his stints in the ALDS, I'd like to see him get a chance to start.
    Last edited by Cheezombie; 09-29-2013 at 05:15 AM.

vCash
    I think Colon, Parker, Gray are easily the best straters on the team and should be locks to start. As for the fourth starter, I don't know. It's a toss up between Griffin/Straily, both have their issues.

Are there any updates on Jaso? He would be great to have against all those Detroit righties.

vCash
    My thing with Anderson is the high amount of 3 ball counts he's been getting himself into. That allows a hitter to sit dead red fastball and pound it somewhere. That's something stats can't tell you. He's been either walking batters or giving batters those 3 ball cookies

vCash
    Fair enough, but there's still no way that leads to a .400 BABIP.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stash View Post
    I think Colon, Parker, Gray are easily the best straters on the team and should be locks to start. As for the fourth starter, I don't know. It's a toss up between Griffin/Straily, both have their issues.

Are there any updates on Jaso? He would be great to have against all those Detroit righties.
    He's been getting at bats in the Instructional League in Arizona. Joe Stiglich says he's a longshot for the playoffs.

vCash
    Can't wait for this to start... as of tomorrow I'm starting my playoff beard with my buddies!
    49ers, Athletics, Warriors = Life!

49ers = 12-4
    Warriors = 51-31 Making it rain!
    A's = 59-36 Back to Back AL West Champs!
    WINNING!

vCash
    true, anderson is definitely a special talent. I'd rather wait to use him for the 7 game ALCS, if/when we make it. A lot of things can go wrong in a best of 5, a lot less room for error
    Unleash the Mamba!

vCash
    I think we go with:

Colon -SP
    Parker -SP
    Gray -SP
    Griffin -SP

Balfour
    Doolittle
    Cook
    Otero
    Chavez
    Blevins
    Straily

The A's wouldn't need to have Anderson on the roster. The Tigers only have Avila, Prince and Dirks to hit from the left side.

Vogt
    Norris
    Barton
    Moss
    Callaspo
    Lowrie
    Sogard
    Donaldson
    Smith
    Young
    Cespedes
    Crisp
    Reddick

I left Freiman off because he is still banged up and the Tigers have no left handed starters

That would leave one roster spot open. It would either be someone like Suzuki or Weeks. Maybe Scribner or perhaps it would be Anderson. Thoughts...?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CiscoKid View Post
    I think we go with:

Colon -SP
    Parker -SP
    Gray -SP
    Griffin -SP

Balfour
    Doolittle
    Cook
    Otero
    Chavez
    Blevins
    Straily

The A's wouldn't need to have Anderson on the roster. The Tigers only have Avila, Prince and Dirks to hit from the left side.

Vogt
    Norris
    Barton
    Moss
    Callaspo
    Lowrie
    Sogard
    Donaldson
    Smith
    Young
    Cespedes
    Crisp
    Reddick

I left Freiman off because he is still banged up and the Tigers have no left handed starters

That would leave one roster spot open. It would either be someone like Suzuki or Weeks. Maybe Scribner or perhaps it would be Anderson. Thoughts...?
    I like that lineup, and I think that last spot should go to Suzuki. Straily and Gray are both young pitchers who would benefit greatly from Kurt's veteran presence behind the plate. And regardless of Barton's improved play lately, I still don't trust the man when it matters most...He makes me nervous.

vCash
    Susan Slusser keeps saying that we're likely to have 3 catchers, so Suzuki probably makes it.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast