Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Not one year, but two???

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/Headli...ticleId=268402

Collins, Mets agree on 2-year deal

By Joel Sherman

September 28, 2013 | 2:32pm

Terry Collins had no leverage in his negotiations with the Mets. He is 64. He is playoff-less in three locales as a manager. The other 29 jobs could be open and Collins probably wouldn’t even get an interview.

So when the Mets offered a new two-year deal with an option that moved him from a six-figure annual salary to seven figures — but just barely — it was not as if he could negotiate. He still wanted to be a major league manager and, thus, he needed to just agree, which he did...
    More evidence the Wilpons plan on punting until at least just before they open the mall when they'll need suckers (Mets fans) to come spend money.

Why would they sign Collins to a two year contract unless they plan on keeping him for two years?

As most have figured out, Collins is just a placeholder until the Mets hire a real manager to be in charge of a real team. Right now they have neither.

vCash
    Managers don't sign one year deals. That's disrespectful. Either cut him loose, or give him the two year contract. If they play way under expectations next year, they could always just fire him after the season(or during) if they want.

He deserves a chance to manage a team with better players.

vCash
    Hope this was a joke.

Minute Rice: Put him in the bullpen, warm him up, and he's ready to serve.

vCash
    I'm neutral when it comes to Terry Collins, but I don't see how you can extend a manager with this losing record without indicting yourself as a GM.
    Quote Originally Posted by NYG+Braves
    Im a Braves fan and im scared to face Harvey way more then Strasburgh. Lol strasburgh dont scare me at all compared to Harvey.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coupon View Post
    ...As most have figured out, Collins is just a placeholder until the Mets hire a real manager to be in charge of a real team. Right now they have neither.
    Most?
    You, and who else? Muscle?

A real manager?
    What qualities does TC not exhibit to qualify him as a real manager?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    Managers don't sign one year deals. That's disrespectful. Either cut him loose, or give him the two year contract. If they play way under expectations next year, they could always just fire him after the season(or during) if they want.

Walter Alston, Tommy Lasorda, both only one year contracts for the entire career.
    Scarecrow: I haven't got a brain... only straw.
    Dorothy: How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
    Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
    Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StoicSentry View Post
    I'm neutral when it comes to Terry Collins, but I don't see how you can extend a manager with this losing record without indicting yourself as a GM.
    Do you think SA believes that he has given TC enough talent to have winning records?
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    -Sun Tzu

vCash
    Sandy is just trolling Backman.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by eltwo View Post
    Walter Alston, Tommy Lasorda, both only one year contracts for the entire career.
    That was a different time in a different game.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    -Sun Tzu

Brooklyn to Denver to L.A. to Denver and back to L.A.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post

I wonder how Walter Alston would have responded....

You just him insulted (unknowingly). I'm certain you've never heard of him either. He was the Brooklyn/Los Angeles Dodgers manager for 23 years from '54 - '76. His teams won seven pennants and four World Series.

BTW, I'm pretty certain he only signed one year contracts throughout his career..... Almost forgot, so did Tommy LaSorda.

TC will be lucky if he is around to manage the last game of the 2015 season. He's never won the clutch games.

My Vote For 2014 Mets Starting SS.

Mets Dieharder Since '63
    Broncos Dieharder Since '73
    Los Angeles Kings Dieharder Since '87
    Denver Rockets/Nuggets Dieharder Since '73

ua you're gone, but never forgotten, R.I.P.

Brooklyn to Denver to L.A. to Denver and back to L.A.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Magoo View Post
    That was a different time in a different game.
    Probably so.

Now, we live in an instant gratification society. So, most owners expect and in some cases demand their manager win immediately, if not sooner.

I wondering, did Bobby Cox, when he managed the Braves, wasn't he on short contracts??? Was he ever on yearly? If so, he would have been the last manager to do so.

My Vote For 2014 Mets Starting SS.

Mets Dieharder Since '63
    Broncos Dieharder Since '73
    Los Angeles Kings Dieharder Since '87
    Denver Rockets/Nuggets Dieharder Since '73

ua you're gone, but never forgotten, R.I.P.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulie6986 View Post
    I wonder how Walter Alston would have responded....

You just him insulted (unknowingly). I'm certain you've never heard of him either. He was the Brooklyn/Los Angeles Dodgers manager for 23 years from '54 - '76. His teams won seven pennants and four World Series.

BTW, I'm pretty certain he only signed one year contracts throughout his career..... Almost forgot, so did Tommy LaSorda.

TC will be lucky if he is around to manage the last game of the 2015 season. He's never won the clutch games.
    Managers don't win games. Players win or lose them, directly.

vCash
    I am a firm believer that a good manager wins you some 5 extra games and a bad manager costs you some extra 5 games.

Where does TC fall?

I personally don't think he is any better than a Jerry Manuel, but again is not his fault his teams has haved serious flaws.

vCash
    TC doesn't rock the boat, he doesn't call Alderson out for making his job impossible, and he's close to retirement, he's ideal for the myth rebuild plan.

I think having TC fully cognizant with the shell game the Mets are running is an easier option for Spindy than having to lie to another manager about what the job entails all over again.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    I am a firm believer that a good manager wins you some 5 extra games and a bad manager costs you some extra 5 games.

Where does TC fall?

I personally don't think he is any better than a Jerry Manuel, but again is not his fault his teams has haved serious flaws.
    Jerry Manuel took one of his best defensive outfielders, Jeremy Reed, and put him on first base in the same game he had Daniel Murphy in the outfield.

When asked whether he might've considered putting Murphy in at first base given how young Daniel was struggling in the outfield, Manuel gave one of his patented gangsta laughs and said he'd sooner put himself in at first base than young Daniel.

Admittedly, Collins hasn't accomplished anything as Met manager yet. But Jerry M was far worse.
    FELLOW SATINISTS INCLUDE:
    FoC, YS, Harry, Zmaster, Gotta, ArkansasMetsFan, KingsnQueens7, The-rock-man, Wrigheyes4MVP, Vendetta, Jim Labruno

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast