Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    That first part blows my mind. Why isn't Timmons making the adjustments. He's the best Defender we have. Then again Ray never called them. And if I recall he never called the plays. They just let him run free.

As for your second part: there are enough guys like Jones on 43 teams that do fine. T Suggs, Miller, Irvin, others. It works with him at LB.
    Meh, I understand keeping it with whoever the buck is. And maybe I'm getting too hopeful for Williams and Tomlin was simply complimenting his general communication skills.

I always thought Suggs was more a 43 end than sam. You're right about Miller and Irvin though. I'm just so used to a 34 like ours where the strongside linebacker, formerly Farrior, tends to eat up blockers while the weakside guy makes the tackle so I'm still in that mindset. Forget I questioned anything haha

vCash
    i dont agree with you guys that say that clowney is lazy. i think the defensive coordinator of sc uses him in way too many plays. i think he would be perfect with clowney and jarvis jones rushing the one side with woodley and heyward on the other side would be such a solid pass rush for years to come. clowney fits our gritty mean pass rushers we have always had and been known for. something we are lacking this year. we dont have a player on our team that strike fear in the qb like harrison, porter, gildon, lloyd, ham, lambert. pretty much as long as steelers been winning lol. we need that. clowney is steelers football.
    I think Lebron is just the best all-around player we have in the game today.
    -Magic Johnson

vCash
    Clowney's own coached were some of the first to call him out. And Clowney in no way can work as a 5 technique in a 3-4 D.

It's interesting to watch the way teams that want to play a 4-3 implement having a rush LB. I'll try to illustrate how those teams do it on here. Ignore the . in it as I'm using them to create the spaces. (offense is on the top)

.....RT..-..RG..-..C..-..LG..-..LT.....
    .....DE.........NT........DT...............ROLB
    .....WILL......MIKE..........SAM

What they force with this is a one on one of RT on DE, who will usually be a good pass rusher, like a Clowney. Where they go next is line up the NT over the 1-gap to force a double team, and here is where the use of McClendon comes helpful in a 4-3. Then you line up the rush DT in a 2 gap type setup, so he can choose to slide to the inside (no close tightend), or to the outside (close TE and tries to create the need for a double). With our current players, Keisel or Heyward works well in this. Finally the ROLB (rush outside line backer) lines up in the Wide-9 spot and gets the one on one forced by matchups. Far too fast for LT's and too strong for TE's you get the favorable matchups. And Jones fit's that need far better than anyone else. And usually the WILL isn't even in there, being replaced by a Nickle or a Safety (for big nickles)

And on traditional run downs they shift around a bit and give that ROLB a choice. They put him in the rush spot, bring another DE on the field and face them like this:

.....RT..-..RG..-..C..-..LG..-..LT.....
    ....DE.........DT.......DT.........DE....
    .ROLB............MIKE.......SAM......

Now....if I were making this lineup here with the current members + Clowney, I might go with Clowney at DE over the RT, a rotation of McClendon, Hood, Heyward at DT (all stout enough against the run, but athletic enough to rush), and Keisel at DE over the LT. Jones lines up at the ROLB spot, Timmons in the MIKE, and we have to (IMO) find a SAM.

So where does that leave us? Woodley is the odd man out IMO. And then we are also in the position of having everyone learn new assignments that are a massive change. I would encourage bump and run on the outside, especially with someone as strong as Ike, and Cortez in no slouch in the muscle. It also allows Troy to play a bit more free, especially it Shamarko can learn quickly to cover the center field.

All of that said....Matthews is much more intriguing to me. Protect Ben, and if need be there is a solid LT to help whoever may take over for Ben. Matthews is a LT for 10-15 years type guy. Wouldn't suprise me if Clowney bolts if he isn't top in sacks and winning at least one super bowl.
    Coulson Lives

vCash

Pittsburgh Steelers 2014 draft thread

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/06/clowney-passes-on-one-game-spurrier-goes-passive-aggressive/

Interesting....
    Coulson Lives

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm2054 View Post
    The only QB I sorta like is bridge water I see bust on Huntley and Boyd
    +1

Bridge looks sharp as hell. Picks apart defenses with complete ease. Looks like hes almost capable of pinpointing balls around defenders arms in the tighest of spaces

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SenecaValley46 View Post
    +1

Bridge looks sharp as hell. Picks apart defenses with complete ease. Looks like hes almost capable of pinpointing balls around defenders arms in the tighest of spaces
    Supposedly Mettenberger is considered a possible first, but probably second round QB. If we want to find a replacement for Ben he may be the perfect guy for Ben to teach. Watching him with LSU he seems like a similar QB and has good size.

If somehow we get a top 5 pick (I think we will win too many games) I think a QB is a good choice. This team rarely picks high enough to get a franchise QB and we were lucky Ben fell to 11.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelBlitz View Post
    Supposedly Mettenberger is considered a possible first, but probably second round QB. If we want to find a replacement for Ben he may be the perfect guy for Ben to teach. Watching him with LSU he seems like a similar QB and has good size.

If somehow we get a top 5 pick (I think we will win too many games) I think a QB is a good choice. This team rarely picks high enough to get a franchise QB and we were lucky Ben fell to 11.
    I like what Mett is doing right now, taking some drastic strides, but I wouldnt take him in the 1st round just yet. He has some maturity issues, and his play needs to be more stable. This years hes killed it though but i want to see more stability... I actually like Murray as well.

I would prefer to build the team up and stay away from qb.. I have my eyes on Winston from FSU down the road

It just infuriates me that the FO had such a impulse rush to take a quarterback in this past draft, when it was completely unneeded with such a deep class this year
    Last edited by SenecaValley46; 10-06-2013 at 11:35 PM.

vCash
    There is no need for a QB who is going sit 4 years that's stupid

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm2054 View Post
    There is no need for a QB who is going sit 4 years that's stupid
    The team is rebuilding. Who knows if Ben will be around for the next 4 years. You only have limited amount of time to get your hands on a franchise qb.

Look at what happened to Indy with Luck and Manning. Worked out perfect for both parties. Indy is settled in at QB for the next 15 years most of which Luck will be the best QB in the NFL for once this elite group retires, Manning moved on and is going to be playing in the SB this year. Pretty sure looking back even though Manning is the best in the game, that Indy would have taken there young franchise qb 10/10 times still.

vCash
    Yes, but Payton was coming off and injury where many doubted that he would be the same.

It's apples and oranges.

We aren't going to draft a QB in the high first just to sit behind Ben then walk. We aren't going to trade away Ben just because we have a chance to draft a guy. What happened in Indy was a 1 in 100000000000000 situation.

If we somehow end up with pick #1, and someone really wants Bridgewater (Cleve, Jax, Oak though looking less likely, Tampa, ect) you get a deal like the Rams did when trading down so Wash could get RGIII/ Get 2 or 3 1st's, a couple seconds, and some late round sweetener. Especially if Cleve would give us both firsts this year, their first next year, a second this and next year, and like 2 5ths. If we got that I would be celebrating. Literally.

With that....this year we could still end up with an impact LT (looking at Koua... from Bama), good WR (Jordan Matthews), and we could be players to move around. That right there gives us a LT for 10 years and a legit #1 in a 6'3" 210 lbs monster at WR.

Taking Teddy Bridgewater, or any QB at this time, does nothing to help in the here and now, and that's what the NFL is about.
    Coulson Lives

vCash
    Oh absolutely. If we had a chance to take the top QB on the table i would trade back just a couple picks, load up on them take Clowney, Matthews, or Kounajido ( he will eventually be regarded as a top 8 pick) keep the rebuilding process.

My philosophy on Qbs which has proven to be successful is you NEVER rush to draft a qb out of impulse, or reach .. Also never trade for unproven backups and sign them to lucrative deals. you build the team around give him pieces to work with before taking him. Teams that draft QBs out of impulse are proven to struggle for many years.. Jaguars- Gabbert, Cleveland-Weeden, Vikings-Christian Ponder. Matt Flynn, Kevin Kolb.

vCash
    so if we end up with a top pick, a decent QB is available, and someone offers for Ben (1st and more), do you make it? not a college football guy, just wondered you guys thoughts of what it would take to bite on a scenario like this.

vCash
    I think we have to invest in line help. because no matter who's back there throwing the ball, if you don't have a line, it doesn't mean anything. I personally believe the game starts from the inside out. so main priority for me would be drafting someone to protect the QB or someone to rush the QB. we've also seen in the pass, if we have a good pass rush, then the DBs play great

vCash
    Clowney is such a ***** what player says I'm not playing my shin hurts. Guys a Clown and a huge diva.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by butchko67 View Post
    I think we have to invest in line help. because no matter who's back there throwing the ball, if you don't have a line, it doesn't mean anything. I personally believe the game starts from the inside out. so main priority for me would be drafting someone to protect the QB or someone to rush the QB. we've also seen in the pass, if we have a good pass rush, then the DBs play great

Yup the line is needed before the QB. Look at David Carr great talent no line and a awful career. That's why I want Jake Matthews.

Page 4 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast