Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Read option

vCash

Read option

I kept hearing how it is the "wave of the future" of quarterbacking and offenses. Has it already being figured out and starting to fade?
    My Ignore list: Naps, bucketss, iknowhoops....

2014 Adopt a Packer
    Randall Cobb

Receptions:
    Yards:
    Tds:

vCash

vCash
    I expect read option will eventually takes its proper place in an “NFL” offense and be just another play rather than an offense based on it. Good, solid disciplined defensive play has demonstrated that it is a solution. Athletic QBs will always be able to take advantage of sloppy defensive play.

vCash
    Kyle Shanahan:

"When you have something that was that successful ... guys are too smart," Shanahan said of defensive coordinators. "They are going to work all offseason and find a way to stop it. And when that happens you got to better at the other stuff. And I think we do have other stuff. And I think we're getting better at it."
    "The thing about last year: A lot of people weren't ready for it at all," Shanahan said. "It was easy at times. Now, it doesn't mean that it doesn't work. You just aren't shocking people like you were last year."
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...no-longer-easy
    2013 Adopt-A-Lion: Nick Fairley

vCash
    The door will close on the R/O and the door will open up for some other crazy offense. Then we will be talking about that other offense and if it is going to be around for a while. The NFL is always changing and teams are trying to find their own wrinkles to catch other teams off guard.
    My 2014 Adopted Packer: Blow Job Raji

vCash
    Football has become a multi billion dollar enterprise and thus the "science" of the game is perpetually changing to figure out new ways to win. This isn't our grandpa's NFL anymore. Having that said I'd like to see the 49ers use it sparingly with more traditional formations/plays.

vCash
    It's a gimmick, and will fade to being used sparingly.

vCash
    I don't know why media are crying about it not being used. QB's will get lit up if teams just let their QB's run...like what happened to Pryor. Don't remember if that was a read option play but regardless...exposing your QB is risky.

vCash
    The rules were also changed this year allowing defenses to hit a running QB like a RB. That will prevent teams from using their mobile QBs.

My Mock v 1.1
    51st (Second Round) - Amerson CB/FS
    85th (third round) - Bacarri Rambo FS
    119th (fourth) - David Quessenberry, OT/OG
    154th (fifth) - Cornelius Washington, DE/ OLB
    162nd (fifth) - Ray Ray Armstrong, SS
    191st (sixth) - Nick Kasa, TE
    228th (seventh) - Rodney Smith, WR

vCash
    I disagree with those saying the read option will be gone. With more and more schools going to it I dont see how teams will be able to draft a guy who does not come from it. Schools look for the fast moble QB who can throw. The biggest problem is they dont teach them pro style O or some still do but its becoming a thing of the past.

Me and my Boy.
    No halo.
    Thank you PSD for your support and prayers.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigdaddyburch View Post
    I disagree with those saying the read option will be gone. With more and more schools going to it I dont see how teams will be able to draft a guy who does not come from it. Schools look for the fast moble QB who can throw. The biggest problem is they dont teach them pro style O or some still do but its becoming a thing of the past.

This is absurd! The reason colleges don’t teach or play a pro-style offense is because they are not good enough. They don’t have enough players to play competently at the pro level. Further, as we can see by how many QBs make it in the pros, the QB play just isn’t good enough to play pro style. Read option, at some level, is a "poor" substitute for competent QB play.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by subroc:27109746
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigdaddyburch View Post

This is absurd! The reason colleges don’t teach or play a pro-style offense is because they are not good enough. They don’t have enough players to play competently at the pro level. Further, as we can see by how many QBs make it in the pros, the QB play just isn’t good enough to play pro style. Read option, at some level, is a "poor" substitute for competent QB play.
    This! It isnt like college just now adapted the r/o.... they have been using it forever.

vCash
    The read option is the new wildcat imo....it worked well for a little while, but it will fizzle out.

vCash
    As Dilfer said, it's simple mathematics. The offense always will have the advantage running the read option. The edge rusher must make a decision. Choose A, QB keeps. Choose B, give it to the RB. Sure, defenses will get better against it as they see it more, but they'll never fully shut it down.

"King Felix has hurled more mega quality starts since 2010 than 14 entire MLB teams."
    http://dynamik-farr.deviantart.com/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Boozerguy47 View Post
    As Dilfer said, it's simple mathematics. The offense always will have the advantage running the read option. The edge rusher must make a decision. Choose A, QB keeps. Choose B, give it to the RB. Sure, defenses will get better against it as they see it more, but they'll never fully shut it down.
    I agree. I think it'll definitely lose some of its effectiveness, but I think it can be a mainstay as a small part of offenses.
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champs

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast