Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

David Price to be available (shopped) in off season?

Many have seen this coming for a while now. I think the Cubs are the most likely fit- but thats just me.

LINK

NEW YORK -- David Price admits the thought has crossed his mind.

These are likely his final days with the Rays. Wednesday night's start against the Yankees was likely his last regular-season start for the only team he has ever known.

When this season ends, whenever that is, the Rays are expected to explore trading their Cy Young left-hander. By the time spring training begins, Price will likely be wearing a new uniform.

The reason is simple. The Rays can't afford to sign Price to a long-term contract. By the end of this season, he'll be two years from free agency.

RAYS RELIEVER TROUBLE
    Rays' Crain battling shoulder problems, season in doubt
    If they want to maximize his value, this is the time.

General manager Andrew Friedman won't discuss Price's future, saying his entire focus is on the Rays' effort to make the playoffs.

But in discussing the Rays' overall strategy this week, Friedman talked about "not allowing ourselves to fall off a cliff." In other words, while the Rays will at times stick with a player all the way to free agency (Carl Crawford in 2010, B.J. Upton last year), more often than not they need to make an earlier decision and move on (as they did last winter with James Shields).

The Rays were able to turn Shields into Wil Myers, and you can bet that they'll be looking for just as big a return (or bigger) for Price. Price is younger than Shields (he'll still be 28 when next season begins), and he's won a Cy Young award.

And while Price's overall numbers this season don't match what he did in his Cy Young year, he has been outstanding since coming off the disabled list at the start of July.

"Since then, his season has been A-plus," Rays pitching coach Jim Hickey said. "He's also been a great influence on our other pitchers. It's no coincidence that we started our roll when he came back."

Price had a 2.57 ERA over those final 17 starts. Only three regular starters in the American League -- Ubaldo Jimenez, Bartolo Colon and Anibal Sanchez -- had a lower ERA in that time.

Price's velocity is down some, about 2 mph from last year according to fangraphs.com. But in a winter where the free-agent market offers mostly middle- or back-of-the-rotation types, the Rays should be able to do very well with a Price trade.

The Rangers have long coveted Price, and would seem to have the pieces to make a trade happen. They would have tried last winter, except that the Rays made it clear at that point that they were only interested in dealing Shields, not Price. Price was still three years from free agency then, and the difference in return between a pitcher two years out and three years out wasn't enough to force their hand.

The return would figure to go down considerably if the Rays waited one more year, when an acquiring team would only get one guaranteed year of control.

But almost any team with the money to pay Price and the young talent to get a deal done could end up trying for Price.

With that kind of potential market -- and potential return -- it's hard to imagine a deal not getting done.

Price would rather not think about it, no matter how many times it crosses his mind. He'd actually rather stay a Ray -- although not enough to sign the far-below-market deal that would be the only way the team could consider keeping him.

"I love it here," he said Thursday. "Everybody in our organization knows that. The fan base knows it."

They also know that these are the Rays. Money is always an issue. Players like Price are always candidates to be traded.

"I've seen it happen quite a few times," Price said.

The next time it happens, it will likely be him.

vCash
    If he isn't moved this off-season, then I personally believe that means the Rays are going to use their new tv dollars to extend him.

I can see them working out a deal to keep him. And it's not like they HAVE to trade him this off-season.

Everyone who wants to make pretend deals in here, need to remember what the Rays got for Garza and Shields, and consider how much better Price is than them, and then include years of control and age to that equation.

Price is going to cost a fortune.

Price is going to cost two top 50 prospects, and then two more reasonably good specs, and probably a MLB 4thish outfielder to boot.

vCash
    The Rays positional needs aren't what they were a year ago.

The only position of any potential need is first base (which is kind of crazy). And they are happy dumpster diving every year and finding the Loney's and Kotchman's of the baseball worlds misfits to fill out the position for a year for cheap production.

They'll want pitching and high-upside talent mixed with nearly ready up the middle players.

The Rays should be even more competitive next year with or without Price. So you have to assume whatever they would move Price for, would likely have to be of value in 2014.

It's weird, but the Cardinals could be one of the best matches for Price. Wacha, Rosenthall, Martinez, Adams, and any variety of whatever arms could work it's way through. But Price is going to cost a fortune to extend outside of Tampa.

I've never actually believed that Price would get moved until this off-season. This is the first time I have felt it was possible.
    Last edited by Jeffy25; 09-27-2013 at 11:52 AM.

vCash
    Trumbo bourjos and a mid lvl prospect

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    If he isn't moved this off-season, then I personally believe that means the Rays are going to use their new tv dollars to extend him.

I can see them working out a deal to keep him. And it's not like they HAVE to trade him this off-season.

Everyone who wants to make pretend deals in here, need to remember what the Rays got for Garza and Shields, and consider how much better Price is than them, and then include years of control and age to that equation.

Price is going to cost a fortune.

Price is going to cost two top 50 prospects, and then two more reasonably good specs, and probably a MLB 4thish outfielder to boot.
    Agree with this. I'm sure we're about to see tons of trade proposals that say things like "my team's #3 prospect, #10 prospect, and our 7th inning reliever"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakman View Post
    Trumbo bourjos and a mid lvl prospect
    Fantasy land is fun.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    Fantasy land is fun.
    It is.
    Visit my Blog.

"Glad the GOP finally came out with an Obamacare alternative. Can't wait to see their alternative to the Iraq War." - @LOLGOP

vCash
    Even they have the new TV deal set in place, I don't see the Rays committing 20 plus mill per season to another player (Longoria will be getting that soon here) when that would constitute what they have had for their payroll much of their existence (around 40 million). They will be able to keep more guys in the future IMO, but I don't see Price being one of them.

They can get a sweet package for him now, their rotation is still good without him, and they have people to replace him. If I were the rays, I'd look at the Cubs, Rangers, Red Sox and Angels as landing spots. They could use the money saved from dealing Price to extend some young players and have some money in the bank to extend the guys they would receive in the trade.

vCash
    not surprised, the rays are good at doing this so why jnot get a haul back for price. they;ll be fine without them, they always are
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    I want the Twins to make a run at him but...

They are too cheap to extend him & They wouldnt give up sano or buxton for him..

vCash
    I sort of doubt they trade him unless they get a giant haul - which most teams aren't capable of or willing to part with. Plus they'll be competing for the division again next year.

vCash
    The Rangers are the obvious fit.

vCash
    Punto + 50 million in cash.

Get r done, Ned!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DodgerB24 View Post
    Punto + 50 million in cash.

Get r done, Ned!
    for Sean Rodriguez?

vCash
    Would love the Red Sox to put a bid in for him. Whatever team ends up with him if he leaves Tampa they're getting a great pitcher.
    Favourite Teams:

Boston Red Sox: 46-52, games this week vs. Blue Jays (4), Rays (3)
    Indianapolis Colts: Good draft and off-season so far.
    Looking for new NBA team to cheer for
    Ottawa Senators: 37-31-14, season over, free agency begins this week.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast