Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Lightbulb Coaching Staff Thread

I won't just go on a fire Fewell and Gilbride rant, I actually did some research on replacements. I looked up some offensive and defensive minds with future potential to run their own system as a coordinator. At the top of the list are: Karl Dorrell, current QB Coach for the Houston Texans. Winston Moss, current Asst. Head Coach/ Inside Linebackers for the Green Bay Packers.

Both look to have what it takes to be good coordinators. I say, if we give either one of those guys the opportunity to run their own system, they would likely take the job just for the benefit of their career. It would benefit us financially, rather than possibly bringing in a big name or two. My research on these guys and other worthy candidates is far from complete, but what do you think?

My 2014 NYG Draft picks
    1st: David Yankey, G/OT (or) La'el Collins, G/OT (or) Cyril Richardson, OT/G
    2nd: Kelvin Benjamin, WR (or) Brandon Coleman, WR (or) Jordan Matthews, WR
    3rd: Austin Seferian-Jenkins, TE (or) C.J. Fiedorowicz, TE
    4th: Kyle Fuller, CB (or) Stanley Jean-Baptiste, CB (or) Dontae Johnson, CB
    5th: Weston Richburg, C (or) Tyler Larsen, C
    6th: James Gayle, DE/OLB (or) Jackson Jeffcoat, DE

vCash
    I don't know those two guys.

With this current personnel, I would want our DC to play a lot of press man. I really don't like this soft zone coverage we tend to run, far too many guys are winding up wide open in large part because our LBs are terrible.

I'd want more blitzes, and not just having a LB trying to shoot through the A or B gaps, but creative blitz packages.

Hell, I basically want Spags back.

As for our OC, I want someone that isn't going to be so hell bent on power run run run run.

vCash
    I hear you 100%. I don't know either guy that well other than what I read. I know they both have a pretty good resume/experience and they both seem to be young enough to have a sharp creative mind. Honestly, would cut ties with both our current coordinators and try to get them both here ASAP.

My 2014 NYG Draft picks

vCash
    Hard to say what will work best for these players. Eli and his receivers have been in the same system for a long time. A change at OC would be a big adjustment.

I don't see any of this happening until the offseason and then it still relies on if Coughlin stays or retires. If he retires, everything is on the table. Maybe Cowher comes in, maybe Gilbride takes over at HC (ew) or a dozen other possibilities. I actually wouldn't mind Lovie Smith taking over the D or even HC.

We definitely need a more diverse OC. Somebody willing to change up the gameplan a little more and be less predictable. I don't know enough about either of the guys you suggested to make an opinion.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    Hard to say what will work best for these players. Eli and his receivers have been in the same system for a long time. A change at OC would be a big adjustment.

I don't see any of this happening until the offseason and then it still relies on if Coughlin stays or retires. If he retires, everything is on the table. Maybe Cowher comes in, maybe Gilbride takes over at HC (ew) or a dozen other possibilities. I actually wouldn't mind Lovie Smith taking over the D or even HC.

We definitely need a more diverse OC. Somebody willing to change up the gameplan a little more and be less predictable. I don't know enough about either of the guys you suggested to make an opinion.
    I'd basically like to see us do with Eli what Peyton does, call his own plays or a choice of 5 with options to any audible.. It's no coincidence that Eli does his best work in 2 minute drills.. And I also believe this will benefit Wilson as well. Put him in the Mereno role and he would excel..

We're 0-3 and our offense looks like it's figured out so why the hell not?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NY007:27096733

I'd basically like to see us do with Eli what Peyton does, call his own plays or a choice of 5 with options to any audible.. It's no coincidence that Eli does his best work in 2 minute drills.. And I also believe this will benefit Wilson as well. Put him in the Mereno role and he would excel..

We're 0-3 and our offense looks like it's figured out so why the hell not?
    who?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RCSownsU View Post
    who?

Nnowshawn Mereno?

vCash
    At this point I am willing to pull one like the Eagles and turn our Offesinve Line coach, Flaherty, into our DC. It worked wonders for them. Oh wait, never mind.

Since I live in Maryland/DC, I was subjected to a lot torment having to watch the Washington Racists play on a regular basis prior to me getting the Sunday Ticket. I know the guy, in conjunction with the GM and HC, ruined the Saints with the whole bounty thing...But I always liked how Gregg Williams coaches the defense. Very aggressive play calling. Ever since he left DC I was hoping he would come here, but we got Spags instead and the rest is history. We need someone like them two to run the defense...without the whole scandal thing.

Va...heart between Giants Stadium and MSG
    vCash
    Tom Coughlin, Kevin Gilbride, and Perry Fewell will miraculously put together the best coaching exhibition of their Giants tenure and go on to win the SB....then they will all leave for other HC positions.

THE END!

NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS 18-1 Signature of a Champion!
    ELI MANNING.... 2X SB MVP....2X SB CHAMPION!

vCash

If Coughlin goes, you know Mara will not allow someone like Gilbride to become Head Coach, especially because of Mara's ties to Bill Cowher, and Cowher saying he'd only coach the Giants if the opportunity arised. So if Coughlin goes my support goes to only Cowher currently.

Offensive Coordinator: You mentioned Todd Haley and I think if he leaves the Steelers than he'd be a good fit for our receiving group and Eli. I would also Consider Chan Gailey. Gailey always seems to do right with offensive lines, so I would like that

Defensive Coordinator: I would like Dick Jauron. Guy has it in him to build amazing defenses. What I wouldn't mind is having Fewell stay and work with Jauron as his secondary coach (not gonna happen I know). My second choice would be Romeo Crennel. I know he works with a 3-4 defense, but I'd be interested to see if he can do a 4-3 or switch us to a 3-4 because we could need a big change at this point. Personell may not be there, but could happen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by uwish1127 View Post
    If Coughlin goes, you know Mara will not allow someone like Gilbride to become Head Coach, especially because of Mara's ties to Bill Cowher, and Cowher saying he'd only coach the Giants if the opportunity arised. So if Coughlin goes my support goes to only Cowher currently.

Offensive Coordinator: You mentioned Todd Haley and I think if he leaves the Steelers than he'd be a good fit for our receiving group and Eli. I would also Consider Chan Gailey. Gailey always seems to do right with offensive lines, so I would like that

Defensive Coordinator: I would like Dick Jauron. Guy has it in him to build amazing defenses. What I wouldn't mind is having Fewell stay and work with Jauron as his secondary coach (not gonna happen I know). My second choice would be Romeo Crennel. I know he works with a 3-4 defense, but I'd be interested to see if he can do a 4-3 or switch us to a 3-4 because we could need a big change at this point. Personell may not be there, but could happen.
    Romeo was terrible as a HC, but the man can build an amazing defense. The current defense in KC was basically Romeo's blueprint. The team was just awful on offense.

As far as Dick Jauron, he's always had solid defenses under him. When he was in Buf, he and Fewell had a very good defense that was very well regarded at that time. Then Fewell came to NY and got his nuts removed. I don't know what happened.

About Cowher, he is similar to TC, but younger. A guy with a lot of fire and demands respect. I think the major difference is that Cowher was more of a player's coach, but he still ruled with an iron hand. Players loved him. TC demands respect, but he is not a players coach. He is more old school type, abrasive. The concern would be what sort of changes would Cowher demand? Would he demand a switch to a 3-4 base defense? If he can pursuade someone like Romeo, Wade Phillips, LeBeau, or someone of that pedigree, I would not mind the change...but it will take time to get it right due to the change of personnel on the defensive side.

One thing to keep in mind about Cowher, he did win just one Super Bowl in 15 years as HC with the Steelers. He was also surrounded by solid lockeroom veterans as well, guys like Bettis and Hines. The Giants lost that veteran presence as soon as both Stray and AP retired.

vCash
    Hope nobody minds, I'm changing this to a Coaching Staff Thread since I think we'll be ranting about this for the rest of the season.

I really don't see any meaningful changes being made unless Coughlin retires at the end of this year.

It's sad too. He really could have just gone out on top and retired after the 2011 win, but now it looks like he's gonna have to fade out with a struggling team. Hope they turn it around for him and at least get a playoff appearance for him to retire on.

If he stays, I don't expect any great moves at OC and DC. He has a way of making the subtle move. And really, there's only so many times I can sit here and say Gilbride needs to move on and then he just stays. So I've given up hope on that front.

vCash
    I was about to say, what happened to my thread?! Lol. It's kool with me GGGGG-Men.

My 2014 NYG Draft picks

vCash
    Especially if we lose this game (I truly hope we DON'T). We need to really stir the pot. Whomever we are looking to bring in as far as OC, DC, Etc... needs to come in this season as early as possible, that way they can do all their adjustments this year and be better prepared for next season. The NY Giants is a very classy organization and as a fan I've always greatly respected that. But! we should be doing what is best for the team, not any one individual, even if the have been the OC or DC for years, or have a history with the HC. J.Reese needs to step up, shake the world up (in my M.Ali voice), and be a true GM on this matter. I know Coughlin may not like it but he will have no choice but to get over it. Team first, all else is irrelevant.

My 2014 NYG Draft picks

Va...heart between Giants Stadium and MSG
    vCash
    Tom Coughlin contract is up at the end of the season right? I'm thinking we have to make the playoffs to extend him. NE makes the playoffs every year ...that's what I want as a fan for the next 5-10 years.

NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS 18-1 Signature of a Champion!
    ELI MANNING.... 2X SB MVP....2X SB CHAMPION!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast