Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Raymond Felton: ''Knicks were too old last season''

I'm surprised that this hasn't been posted here yet.

Starting point guard Raymond Felton believes being the oldest team in NBA history last season was an interesting distinction, but ultimately cost the Knicks a chance at a title.
    Felton said the Knicks have a greater chance of success in 2013-14 because they have become younger.
    Felton pointed to the elderly bench of Rasheed Wallace, Kurt Thomas, Marcus Camby and Jason Kidd, who fell apart in the playoffs, as part of the team’s ultimate undoing, getting KO’d in the second round by the Pacers.
    With training camp opening Monday, none of those players are back.
    Three of them have retired.
    “We’re a younger team this year,’’ Felton said at an Under Armour appearance at Macy’s in Herald Square. “Kurt Thomas, Rasheed, love them like brothers.
    [But] those guys were 38, 39, 40 years old. Once they got injuries, they’re out and it hurt us last year.
    We’ve added Metta [World Peace], [Andrea] Bargnani, Kenyon [Martin] and Amar’e [Stoudemire] are coming back. Tim Hardaway [Jr.] looks great by the way.
    I’ve been most impressed with him. It gives us depth at that big spot and youth. Those guys are younger.
    “No knock to the guys we had last year. Those guys had incredible careers.
    I wish I could play that long. But we are young. That’s what I’m saying.
    We’re a younger team this year. We still got depth from last year, but we also have a younger bench. That’s going to help us later in the season.”
    Felton isn’t younger this year, but he certainly is lighter.
    He said he has lost between 10 and 15 pounds this summer.
    Since his ill-fated season in Portland two years ago, he has dropped more than 20 pounds, he said.
    “I feel I’m back to my old self when I was here the first time,’’ Felton said.
    “The way I’m moving on the court, giving me extra confidence in myself.’’
    Virtually all of the Knicks are in Westchester working out informally.
    Felton finally got a chance to play with Bargnani on Monday.
    Bargnani got to town a little weakened. The former Toronto big man had to withdraw from the European Championships during Italy’s training camp in August due to pneumonia.
    “He was really sick,’’ Felton said.
    “He had pneumonia, was out about a month. He’s a little winded right now. The guy was in bed and wasn’t allowed to work out for a month. He looks great.
    Everything I was hoping he’s going to do, he did it the first day we played pickup. I’m excited as a point guard. He’ll be a big help to our team.’’
    Bargnani was reviled in Toronto just as Felton was in Portland.
    Felton is still bitter at the character assassination he received in the Rose City.
    Last March during a game there, he was booed viciously every time he touched the ball after being portrayed as the guy who cost Portland the playoffs.
    He went on a long rant Monday about being portrayed as a locker-room cancer by the media and fans.
    “I laughed at the crowd,’’ Felton said. “We’re in the playoffs. What about you all.’’
    Felton, who now has his eyes on the Knicks’ captaincy, wants to become one of their prime leaders this season.
    “I’ve always been a leader — high school, college,’’ Felton said. “My thing was last year being away for two years to get used to the guys on the team.
    I got back in touch with the guys and didn’t try to force myself in that role right away. This year I definitely will with one year under my belt.
    I’ll have a leadership role no matter what. We’ll see.’’
    Whether he starts again in the all-point-guard backcourt of Pablo Prigioni remains to be seen. The Knicks prospered in that alignment that began in mid-March.
    Felton said the coaching staff just finished a retreat to discuss all the scenarios.
    “I’m pretty certain we’ll go with that lineup at some point,’’ Felton said.
    “We were so successful with it last year. I don’t know about starting but we’ll definitely play with each other.’

Source: http://nypost.com/2013/09/23/felton-...d-last-season/
    Really can't wait for the pre-season and of course the regular season to start!

''Embrace The Challenge"

vCash
    I do like the fact that we're not the league's oldest team anymore. Beno is a huge upgrade over kidd at point, Bargs will help, but adding Metta is what I believe the move that will push us over the top. We needed a versatile big SF with a sound skill set on both ends, more than a back-up big IMO. We're gonna surprise a lot of people this season.

vCash
    I can't wait for the season to start. Especially with the way my Giants have been playing and the Mets being the Mets. I would have never guessed five years ago that the Knicks would be my best hope for a title haha.

vCash
    He is absolutely right. All the vets that we thought would help us get over the top in the playoffs , ended up being our biggest weakness.
    I think that with the injection of youth to this team , and being able to keep the core group of guys that we are going to make a lot of noise this season!
    KNICKS TAPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the home of Heavy D, Ben Gordon, Diddy, Denzel washington and me
    vCash
    I am very excited for the season to start surprisingly because for the first time in a long time when we were eliminated from the playoffs this past season, I was not looking forward for the next season.
    Reason being is because I knew going into this off-season we were very limited in what we could do and I was not optimistic due to the lack of financial flexibility. However, looking at the roster now, I am extremely pleased with what the front office has done. I feel it gives us the best shot at doing something great this year.

The addition of Barganini and Metta are my two favorites.
    in addition to getting a very good PG (in terms of 2nd/3rd string PG).
    Plus being able to resign JR (I thought he was gone, but I am glad to have him back)
    and bring back Kenyon.

we have our same team plus a more younger players surround our star.
    we have a more experienced and comfortable felton.
    we have a healthy and comfortable IMan
    hopefully a healthy STAT and tyson.

we had a really nice piece of Steak last year, but it had to much fat around it. Yea it taste good but definitely not good in the long run (ala Jason kidd, Thomas, and Wallace.......... on paper they look good, but wasn't realistic for winning a chip).
    This year we have the same piece of steak with out the fat.
    I love me some steak lol

vCash
    what, 20% of our team retired after the season?

vCash
    I think we went 1 or 2 guys overboard. No way we needed Sheed, Camby, AND Kurt. You were lucky to get 10 minutes combined. Its like you had 3 guys in a carousel to see who could give you 10 minutes. Kidd AND Pablo in the backcourt was overkill too, we had no speed or penetration past Felton at the PG position. This season it seems like we have a solid mix of youth and experience. I mean we added 4 players who were at or pushing 40 years old, and our two rookies were both over 30.