Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Rays need a new stadium or get relocated (they have the WORST attendence in MLB)

Bill Shaikin ‏@BillShaikin 47m
    #Rays 2013 attendance: 1.51 million, per @TBTimes_Rays. Lowest attendance in MLB -- yes, worse than #Marlins.
    How can a team that has been so successful as the rays with such a small payroll (compared to NYY/BOS) have the worst attendance in baseball. Let alone worse then MIA?. The players deserve better then this and this is coming from a Sox fan. they battle it out with the "big dogs" of the AL East yet no one ever shows up (or those who show up are mostly fans of the opposing team)

vCash
    A major problem with the Rays is the location of their stadium in relation to most of their fan base. I've seen in the past that their fans average commute is by far the longest of any other team. Problem is that they're locked into the stadium lease for a looong time.

vCash
    They need to actually be in Tampa, not Saint Pete. It's a nightmare to get to a game unless you live in Ste. Pete

Naomi ****ed them on their stadium deal.

He was the worst owner baseball had, worse than Loria. At least Loria is relatively financially competent when he rips people off. Naomi was Loria without financial sense.

vCash
    The stadium isn't the problem it's the location, if I funded a brand new state of the art stadium and had it built next to their current one, they would see some initial bump in revenue but nothing sustainable.

vCash
    The arena is definitely the reason. Just look how wonderfully successful the other Florida sports teams are.

Just look at how successful the Panthers are. Oh....

Well at least the Buccaneers avoid blackouts. Oh....

Well at least the World Champion Miami Heat with one of the best basketball players ever manage to support their team well. Oh....

Or look at how successful the Lightning are. Oh....

Florida is just not a great sports market and the arena is a convenient excuse: the Lightning & Panthers rely on ex-pats from Southern Ontario/the North East US; the Buccaneers have more blackouts than a North Korean internet cafe; the Miami Heat are a team any fanbase would kill for yet now that they've actually started showing up at games, Heat fans have become a running joke. Hell, I think I remember the MLS (MLS!!!) commissioner saying Miami wasn't a viable market for expansion.

vCash
    Dang it SB9 you made an excellent post for a new guy. I hope to see more of you.

vCash
    I don't understand why the Marlins got a new stadium and the Rays did not. If only one could get a new stadium, it needed to be the Rays.

I know Florida has bad attendance in sporting events anyway, but it seems like the Rays have a lot more potential for building a fanbase than the Marlins do. Plus the Marlins new stadium and that dolphin thing in center field are horrendous.
    Our forums:
    Blues Cardinals Rams

vCash
    Wait a second SB9 you forgot about Jacksonville and Orlando and the Dolphins.

vCash
    I don't know the specific language in the CBA but can MLB force a team to relocate?

They did force the Astros to move to the AL when they were sold. I don't know what jurisdiction they have over that. I mean technically it would probably be in "the best interest of baseball" for them to move.

And i mean out of Florida. No offense to Ray's fans but i don't think a new stadium would matter much. It hasn't with the Marlins (even though they have sucked) and i don't think it would do anything for the Rays either. I think they need a new city.

vCash
    ^ yes

Get them out of there.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by redbird89 View Post
    I don't understand why the Marlins got a new stadium and the Rays did not. If only one could get a new stadium, it needed to be the Rays.

I know Florida has bad attendance in sporting events anyway, but it seems like the Rays have a lot more potential for building a fanbase than the Marlins do. Plus the Marlins new stadium and that dolphin thing in center field are horrendous.
    Marlins got a new stadium because they weren't locked into a horrendous lease and caught in a p***ing match with the mayor of their city. St. Pete has held firm on only letting the Rays out of their lease if the new stadium is going to be in St. Pete. Unfortunately the drive is horrendous and St. Pete is becoming more of a slum every year. If you park in one of the auxiliary lots when the main lot if full (you know with Yankees and Red Sox fans) you spend half of the walk over being harassed by homeless people or walking past shady areas in the dark. If they built the stadium in one of the "nicer" areas (i.e. over on the old site of Al Lang where they had discussed a new stadium previously) there is no reasonable access from the highway which will make the ridiculous commute even worse.

If the Rays are going to stay in TB, moving to Tampa would definitely be helpful, but SB hit the nail on the head...Florida is not an especially strong pro-sports state. There are a lot of transplants here compared to other cities with pro-teams. With the ridiculous prices at the stadiums and easy access to sports packages, a lot of people would just as soon watch the team they grew up watching from the comfort of their home rather than deal with all of the nonsense and expense at the stadium to watch often mediocre teams (Rays and especially the Heat being the exception recently).

vCash
    tampas stadium is a **** hole.

and thats coming from a guy who personally knows the guy who used to be the majority owner
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 11 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals (May 2014)

vCash
    I want to know why Florida has umpteen million professional sport teams nobody watches while Indiana only has two in spite of being a seemingly attractive market.

The Colts and Pacers both play in arguably the best venues in their respective sports, filled with supportive fanbases. The Indy 500 is the biggest race on the planet. The city does well with NCAA tournaments and big events like the Super Bowl. Their minor league team is consistently one of the most profitable in all of the minor leagues. It's one of the largest US markets without an MLB team and it also happens to be a sport friendly city.

So why is it that Florida has MULTIPLE floundering franchises, and every time you hear whispers of expansion it's always somewhere incredibly stupid like Jacksonville being floated?

vCash
    http://deadspin.com/rays-owner-says-...ams-1383429121

Seems like the Rays will have to lower payroll yet again due to further attendance issues. It's amazing they are able to do so much with so little but lowering payroll even affects their spending in terms of their bonus pools.

I guess the good thing is the new tv money starts rolling in next season which may offset some of their attendance problems.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by grandsalami View Post
    Bill Shaikin ‏@BillShaikin 47m
    #Rays 2013 attendance: 1.51 million, per @TBTimes_Rays. Lowest attendance in MLB -- yes, worse than #Marlins.
    How can a team that has been so successful as the rays with such a small payroll (compared to NYY/BOS) have the worst attendance in baseball. Let alone worse then MIA?. The players deserve better then this and this is coming from a Sox fan. they battle it out with the "big dogs" of the AL East yet no one ever shows up (or those who show up are mostly fans of the opposing team)
    Why do the players deserve better? I bet a lot of them enjoy playing in a less stressful environment. It's the fans that really enjoy better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast