Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Which team wins the AFC South?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • Houston Texans

1 25.00%
  • Indianapolis Colts

2 50.00%
  • Tennessee Titans

1 25.00%
  • Jacksonville Jaguars (I'm throwing my vote away, because I'm not very smart)

0 0%
    vCash

State of the AFC South

So, let me preface this by saying it's clearly too early to have this conversation, but we're all riding a high after yesterday and I'm going to do it anyway. But after yesterday's games, we can all agree on one thing: the AFC South appears wide open. Aside from the hopeless Jags, who have a real shot at going 0-16, the Titans, Texans and Colts are all 2-1 and appear to have a shot at the division. So, let's break this down individually.

Texans
    Houston could just as easily be 1-2 or 0-3 after coming back from a huge deficit against San Diego and coming back from a fourth quarter deficit to beat our Titans (at home no less). They were the clear favorite going into the season, but that division has been severely blurred after three games. Their defense is top five in terms of yards, but 24th best in terms of points given up, so I anticipate those two numbers will balance out and they'll be somewhere in the middle by season's end. Offensively, they're top 10 in both rushing and passing, but only 15th best in points. They're great at driving the ball and racking up yards, but always struggle in the red zone.

Their next four games are really, really tough. They get Seattle at home and then go to San Francisco to face a 49ers team which has really underachieved so far only to come back home to face a dangerous St. Louis team and go on the road to play Kansas City (which is never easy). More than likely, they'll be looking at 4-3 going into the bye week, but I wouldn't rule out 3-4. Bottom line, this team is nowhere near as scary as I thought they'd be.

Indianapolis
    Everyone though this team would only go as far as Andrew Luck would carry them, but it's their running game and defense which has really helped them make strides so far this season. Offensively, they're third in the league in rushing yards per game, which will only improve as Trent Richardson figures out the offense. And defensively they went from being 26th in yards per game last season to 15th through three games. They just got done pushing the 49ers around at home, outgaining them on the ground, through the air and forcing two turnovers.

I still this this team could be overachieving, but I though the same thing last season, and this is a young group that will only get better as the season progresses. They get Jacksonville this week, but then get a tough three game stretch at home against Seattle, at San Diego and hosting Denver. More than likely, they're looking at 4-3 at the bye week, but I could just as easily see 3-4 or 5-2.

Tennessee
    Improvements on the offensive line have done wonders for the running game, which went from 21st in the league to 6th best in the league. And while the Titans passing attack hasn't quite made a monumental leap forward, the Titans are second in the AFC in turnover differential, yet to turn the ball over a single time. Defensively, though, is where they clearly have made the leap forward, going from the sixth worst season ago to ninth best through three games.

The Titans get New York and Kansas City at home, but then have to go to Seattle (an almost guaranteed loss) before hosting the 49ers at home. Again, I think 4-3 is the most likely record, but it could be better or worse.

Bottom line, I think we could be looking at three 4-3 football teams heading into the bye week, and nothing will be decided until divisional play really heats up. So who does everyone think wins the division? And could this division have a wild card representative?

vCash
    I picked the Colts. I think this division will be really close and hard fought for whoever wins it. Okay, 3 of the 4 teams will be close, sorry Jags. But, I'd love to be wrong and have the Titans win it, but I just see Indy pulling it out.

Edit: And, yes, I do think one of the Wild Card seeds will come out of the AFC South. I think the Dolphins are going to fall off and fall out of contention.
    Last edited by myestro4life; 09-23-2013 at 04:05 PM.

vCash
    You're right, we have a real chance. Texans don't look as good as usual and I truly think we're better than the Colts. T-Rich won't help as much as people think.

I'm gonna say Texans 1st, Titans 2nd (wild card birth).

vCash
    My vote is Indy, Houston is starting to decline While Tennessee and Indy get better, It may seem strange to say but Houston may not make the playoffs with the way they have been playing, Yea they won 2 games already but in reality they should be 0-3, the 2 games they won they pulled out of there butts
    Philadelphia 76ers 2000-2001 Sim League Champion

vCash
    It's worth bringing up this thread again, because there's a very clear division at this point with the Colts at the top, the Titans likely finishing second, the Texans third and the Jaguars last. However, I also think it's worth bringing up because the Titans are pretty much in a position to control their own destiny. If they can somehow sweep the Colts, they could still feasibly win this division.

Now, I'm sure we all think that's unlikely at this point, especially considering some of the mistakes we've seen over the past few weeks. But it's also not that unlikely that the Titans could somehow make the last wild card spot. Right now, the Broncos or Chiefs are pretty much a lock for one spot, but after that there are 4-6 teams all together in the same pack fighting for the second one. Only the Jets have a better record than the Titans (5-4), and they've played one more game than Tennessee.

So as long as the Titans keep winning games, they've got a shot at the playoffs one way or another. But they'll have to play a hell of a lot better than they did yesterday for that to keep happening.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    It's worth bringing up this thread again, because there's a very clear division at this point with the Colts at the top, the Titans likely finishing second, the Texans third and the Jaguars last. However, I also think it's worth bringing up because the Titans are pretty much in a position to control their own destiny. If they can somehow sweep the Colts, they could still feasibly win this division.

Now, I'm sure we all think that's unlikely at this point, especially considering some of the mistakes we've seen over the past few weeks. But it's also not that unlikely that the Titans could somehow make the last wild card spot. Right now, the Broncos or Chiefs are pretty much a lock for one spot, but after that there are 4-6 teams all together in the same pack fighting for the second one. Only the Jets have a better record than the Titans (5-4), and they've played one more game than Tennessee.

So as long as the Titans keep winning games, they've got a shot at the playoffs one way or another. But they'll have to play a hell of a lot better than they did yesterday for that to keep happening.
    We beat the Jets so all we need to do is tie records and we would own the tiebreaker over them
    Philadelphia 76ers 2000-2001 Sim League Champion

vCash
    I really like our wild card chances.