Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Cardinals clinch playoff spot

Thanks to the Marlins' 4-2 win over the Nationals in Game 1 of Sunday's doubleheader in D.C., the Cardinals will enter their series finale vs. the Brewers as a lock to make the playoffs.

But don't expect the National League Central leaders to make much of the clinched postseason spot. The Cardinals are locked in a tight pennant race, with the Pirates and Reds both in position to make a run for the division title in the final week.
    http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index..._away&c_id=stl
    Our forums:
    Blues Cardinals Rams

vCash

Cardinals clinch playoff spot

Yay!!!! First check is clinch birth next is the division lets do it

Michael Wacha

5-5, 2.79 Era, 83 So, 1.12 Whip

vCash
    Great news but more work to do

vCash
    4-2 finish out, and we should lock up Central, and challenge for home field (but the Braves would have to finish up 3-4 for us to tie

vCash
    We won, and ATL lost

Cin and Pit both won.

If we can finish up 3-2 to close out the year (means 95-67)

Then the Pirates and Reds would each have to go 5-0 (and considering they play each other still) to tie us.

Obviously, one of those two teams could do that, but it's unlikely. And our 3-2 is very probable.

2-3, and then they have to go 4-1, 1-4, and they have to go 3-2. So don't go 1-4

Our next win might be us locking it up (not officially, but realistically)

Since we went 3-4 against the Braves this season, a tie with them still gives them home field. But they are the only team that we wouldn't have home field against in the NLCS (we would against the Dodgers, Pirates, or Reds)

So if we go 3-2, Braves have to 2-4 to lose home field advantage. Which is certainly possible given the way they have played as of late. But it's obviously unlikely.

If we can manage to close out the season 4-1, then we are set, of course, Braves would have to go 3-3 to lose home field.

But I am also happy with the Braves simply losing in their first round so we don't have to face them

Of the available teams in the playoffs, I would rather probably face the Pirates. I think they are the most beatable team in the NL.

In order to play them though, we have to have a better record than the Braves. Otherwise the Braves will play the Pirates or Reds in the first round, and we have to play the Dodgers who are a built team. But probably overly-hyped.

Still, nobody wants to face Kershaw, even if we are the best team against him.

So for me, I like the idea of finishing better than the Braves. 4-1 finish to our season, 3-3 finish to their season.

My hope. We beat the Dodgers in round one if we don't get home field. And then the Pirates manage to beat the Dodgers in round one. Then all we have to do is beat the Pirates to be in the World Series, something I think we would do. If we have to face the Braves, I think we have a bit more of a challenge, they are a very good team.

vCash
    The dodgers scare me in a 5 game series but not so much in a 7

Dodgers can put you in a hole 2-0 quick if Kershaw and Greinke are both on.

At least in 7 games you have some more breathing room

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skippy15 View Post
    The dodgers scare me in a 5 game series but not so much in a 7

Dodgers can put you in a hole 2-0 quick if Kershaw and Greinke are both on.

At least in 7 games you have some more breathing room
    I like our team against anyones to be honest
    Quote Originally Posted by heimdog8 View Post
    I didn't want to throw this information out here. I was a 3 year varsity starter at QB in high school. I played quarterback in junior college as well. I was considering playing division 1 football as well but chose to pursue my career in business instead. However, currently I am helping train with Derek Carr from Fresno State get ready for his pro day and the draft. I am also working with Cody Kessler, the USC quarterback.

vCash
    ^ so do I.

If our 2011 team can beat the 2011 phillies in 5 games and their Halladay/Lee/Hamels combo they can beat anyone. The dodgers are just that scarier team this year IMO. Braves, reds, pirates aren't intimidating IMO

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skippy15 View Post
    ^ so do I.

If our 2011 team can beat the 2011 phillies in 5 games and their Halladay/Lee/Hamels combo they can beat anyone. The dodgers are just that scarier team this year IMO. Braves, reds, pirates aren't intimidating IMO
    I don't know if we beat the Phillies in a 7 game set.

But 5. Them and the Nationals went down. And both teams were better than ours those years.

vCash
    ^ entire point is the playoffs aren't about who was the better team in the regular season. We were clearly not the best in baseball in 2006. We were by far the best in 2004. We all know what happened.

It's all just who plays best in playoffs, be it 5 or 7 games. We have the staff and offense to beat anyone in a 5 or 7 game series. The dodgers are just intimidating because you basically have to beat Kershaw or Greinke at least once or you're basically out if you lose those first 2 games.

In 7 games you're in a hole losing games 1 and 2 but have a Chance to come back

vCash
    I don't want the best record in the NL. That means we would have to play either the Reds or Pirates right (assuming we win the division)? I don't want to play either of them.
    Our forums:
    Blues Cardinals Rams

vCash
    It doesn't bother me if we play them, the important thing is playing at home