Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Farewell Andy;(

vCash

Farewell Andy;(

Pettitte announcing today so fans know last home start Sun, full circle final start will be near Hou home next weekend #Yankees #Astros
    Via Sherman

Andy Pettitte is scheduled to announce his retirement Friday afternoon, The Post has learned.
    Thus, two members of the Yankees’ Core Four – Mariano Rivera and Pettitte – will be retiring after this season. Pettitte, 41, has retired once already, not playing in the 2011 season before returning to the Yankees in 2012.
    However, Pettitte has told friends this season has been very hard on his body physically, much tougher than he had anticipated. The lefty also could see a great Yankees era coming to an end, an era he was a major contributor in constructing.
    Pettitte is 10-10 this year with a 3.93 ERA. He is scheduled to start Sunday against the Giants, meaning his final home outing would coincide with Mariano Rivera Day at the Stadium. It also would line him up to make the final start of his career either Friday or Saturday back home in Houston.
    The Yankees and the Astros are the only two teams for which Pettitte has played. In his 18-year career, he is 255-152 with a 3.86 ERA. In addition, he is the winningest pitcher in postseason history, having gone 19-11 with a 3.81 ERA.
    He was a central part in the Yankees’ five championships of this generation. His 218 wins as a Yankee are third in team history to Whitey Ford (236) and Red Ruffing (231).
    Pettitte is a borderline Hall of Fame candidate. But his chances to reach Cooperstown likely will be harmed by his admitted use of HGH on a few occasions.
    Last edited by Bigbone; 09-20-2013 at 11:04 AM.

vCash
    Not surprised. Nice he goes out w Mo

ACE
    1-1
    7.50 ERA
    12.0 IP
    12 K
    1.33 WHIP

vCash
    hey jeter, go join them!

vCash
    Hey, you never know with this guy. I know he's 41 but he's changed his mind many times before in the past.
    He's attached to the game and you know he'd love to reach 300 wins. He's currently at 245 so it's very unlikely, however, at the rate he's going, he can probably still pitch at this level for another 2-3 seasons if he really wanted to.
    I'm sure Girardi and some of the players will try to convince him as much as they can. Even if it's not till midseason like he's done before in the past as well. If I'm the Yankees, I'd welcome him back with open arms. He's still a reliable 2-3 starter.

Aside from that, he's probably the only players that has knowingly taken hgh that I would like to see make the Hall Of Fame. He's separated from those who have, IMO.
    Last edited by STL Pride; 09-20-2013 at 05:40 PM.

vCash
    I love Andy Pettite being a good Yankee and a favorite pitcher of mine, but I wish he would have announced this earlier to have an around the league farewell like Mo received.

It free's up 12 million for another player during the offseason.
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/bf/Odb_welfare.jpg

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Chapin78:27074872
    I love Andy Pettite being a good Yankee and a favorite pitcher of mine, but I wish he would have announced this earlier to have an around the league farewell like Mo received.

His rotation spot needs to be filled. So yeah.. Lol

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Chapin78 View Post

It's not really the same. First, we all kind of knew this was the last of Andy. Second, he's not Mo. Mo is better and classier. VERY few guys get the farewell tour he's receiving. Third, Andy has retired before AND has HGH in his past. Things like that tarnish a retirement tour.

Andy's awesome. And we've all enjoyed his career and watching him peer over that glove at home plate. And most of us will miss him. But he simply does not warrant what Mo is getting. Very few players in baseball do.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RCSownsU View Post
    His rotation spot needs to be filled. So yeah.. Lol
    I agree that he wasn't the Andy of years ago but still a good pitcher and not worth the 12 mil.

Quote Originally Posted by Rylinkus View Post
    It's not really the same. First, we all kind of knew this was the last of Andy. Second, he's not Mo. Mo is better and classier. VERY few guys get the farewell tour he's receiving. Third, Andy has retired before AND has HGH in his past. Things like that tarnish a retirement tour.

Andy's awesome. And we've all enjoyed his career and watching him peer over that glove at home plate. And most of us will miss him. But he simply does not warrant what Mo is getting. Very few players in baseball do.
    I am not talking about the every stadium giving him the Mo treatment. Totally agree that Mo is a total class act and the GOAT at closer. Andy has had some battles and does deserve some attention around the league. You cannot deny that.

vCash

Farewell Andy;(

Arod should get a retirement tour

ACE
    1-1
    7.50 ERA
    12.0 IP
    12 K
    1.33 WHIP

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Chapin78 View Post
    I agree that he wasn't the Andy of years ago but still a good pitcher and not worth the 12 mil.

I am not talking about the every stadium giving him the Mo treatment. Totally agree that Mo is a total class act and the GOAT at closer. Andy has had some battles and does deserve some attention around the league. You cannot deny that.

So should lots of guys. Every season we lose a handful of guys that everyone in baseball loves. That's had great careers. How may guys get retirement tours?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    Arod should get a retirement tour
    This offseason......

vCash
    So should lots of guys. Every season we lose a handful of guys that everyone in baseball loves. That's had great careers. How may guys get retirement tours?
    I do not have the stats for that one. Andy doesn't deserve any recognition? His last game at Yankees stadium and his last series is in Houston where he played also the least. I think most of it should go to Mo but Andy should get some love there also.

vCash
    Meh. Some good memories.
    Solarte, oh, oh!
    Solarte, oh, oh, oh, oh!

[Nel blu, dipinto di blu
    Felice di stare lassų
    Nel biu, dipinto di blu
    Felice di stare lass]

vCash
    Itīs going to be tough for me..

My favorite SP of all-time is Pettitte.

My favorite RP of all-time, of course, is Mo.

And my favorite player of all-time is Jeter.

Greatest RP of all-time and one of the best postseason pitchers and hitters of all-time all leaving together possibly. Although I see Jeter playing in 2014.

BTW, you ever here these people on PSD talk about how Jeter is one of the most overrated players?

I am sorry, I didnīt know someone in the top 10 in hits all-time was overrated, amongst other stats. I mean, itīs a ****ing laundry list of stats.
    New York Yankees
    FC Bayern Munchen

Bundesliga: Wins- 25 / Draw- 3 / Loss- 2
    DFB-Pokal-Wins- 5 / Loss- 0 Finals vs Borussia Dortmund
    Champions League- Semi-Finals vs. Real Madrid.

1st Leg- April 23rd in Madrid.
    2nd Leg- April 29th in Munich.

vCash

Exactly...and that's why I think he should have waited until the season was over and let Mo have his time.
    The REAL DEAL Yankee fan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast