Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 193 1231151101 ... LastLast
    vCash

Flyers Roster / Trade thread.

Figured we should start posting in here instead of continuing to post in the darn free agency thread lol...

Found a decent read by Sam Carchidi and wanted to share.

LAKE PLACID, N.Y.: Scott Laughton, Michael Raffl and (surprise, surprise) Chris VandeVelde appear to be battling for a remaining forward spot on the Flyers’ roster.

VandeVelde, a 6-foot-2, 205-pounder who played well in Tuesday’s 3-2 preseason loss to the Rangers, signed an AHL contract with the Phantoms on Friday and has been frequently used on the penalty kill in the preseason. The University of North Dakota product played in 11 games with Edmonton last season and did not score.

Forwards Ben Holmstrom and Kris Newbury, defenseman Marc-Andre Bourdon and goalie Yann Danis have been placed on waivers. If they clear, they figure to join the Phantoms.

From here, Raffl has the inside track on the open forward spot, and there is also a chance that he AND Laughton are kept around for a bit. Laughton could stay for nine games before being sent back to juniors

Ideally, Laughton would be sent to the Phantoms, but because he is only 19, he is not allowed to go to the AHL.

Check out our website for Philly Sports .
    Or PM me if you ever need a WEBSITE of course that will cost ya.

vCash
    good idea.

VandeVelde really came out of nowhere. Maybe they want see how a 3rd line role of Vande with Rinaldo and Laughton would work. Use Vande to fill the role of Harry Z/Wellwood

curious what they are planning on. Talbot on the 3rd line or 4th line. I guess it depends on whether Raffl makes the team. Or Laughton for that matter.
    Last edited by Randall Stevens; 09-22-2013 at 01:01 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Stevens View Post
    good idea.

VandeVelde really came out of nowhere. Maybe they want see how a 3rd line role of Vande with Rinaldo and Laughton would work. Use Vande to fill the role of Harry Z/Wellwood

curious what they are planning on. Talbot on the 3rd line or 4th line. I guess it depends on whether Raffl makes the team. Or Laughton for that matter.
    i think you meant 4th line role with VandeVelde, Rinaldo, and Laughton.

Talbot played the 3rd line LW at practice today, and Lavy said he looked great there.

can't really put much weight into it at this point, though. the games this week will be the indicator.

ultimately, i just don't think having Talbot as the 3rd line LW makes this team better than if Raffl were to be there. It essentially forces them to send Laughton back to juniors, Raffl to the minors, and have Rosehill in there on a nightly basis. Unless they put Hall or Laughton on the 4th line wing, and just have Laughton/Hall/Rinaldo as a 4th line, but....eh.....

this just looks better to me:

Raffl - Couturier - Read

Talbot - Laughton/Hall - Rinaldo

than:

Talbot - Couturier - Read

Rosehill/Laughton - Hall - Rinaldo

vCash
    Meltzer mentioned in his article today that it looks as though the battle for the third line LW spot is down to VandeVelde and Raffl (no mention of Talbot although i would think hed be in the discussion). Laughton is figured to be battling Hall for the 4th line center role. If he cant beat him out he will be sent back to Oshowa.

vCash
    G is officially IN the lineup tonight.

Hope he's not rushing back too soon.

vCash
    Scratches for the game tonight:

L. Schenn, Gill, Lauridsen, Gervais, VandeVelde

vCash
    welll - last night was a disaster - hopefully voracek won't be out long

this team really needs to focus on a better start and scoring first, or its going to be a long season fighting for the final playoff spot

i'm getting really tired of us not playing until the 2nd period starts

vCash
    It definitely has been a theme, particularly vs. the Devils. But i think yesterday was more a combination of not having played for a week when the Devils played just the night before, along with G coming back. Their PP was off big time because they hadnt been able to really practice it with G and it showed.

Im really not that concerned.

Bright notes:

Couts had yet another strong game. His line generated the most offensive pressure all night.

Emery looks like the favorite to start game 1. Played pretty well, though i think he looked a bit slow on both goals. Gus and Mez blew those plays, just saying i thought Emery looked a little slow to recover.

I liked Laughton, tho Lavy didnt seem to agree given the reduced ice time.

Kimmo and Coburn havent missed a beat.

G looked really good last night given it was his first game action. One timer off the bar was a howitzer.

Voracek looked great before the injury. Hopefully its nothing too serious.

Raffl continues to impress me. Two way game, does good work along the boards. Pretty good passer for a guy more known for his shot.

I never put too much stock into results during the preseason. I look for how guys look together on a line and how they play individually.

Overall i think it was ok. But they do need to continue to work on beating that Devils system.

EAST/WEST, NOT NORTH/SOUTH DAMNIT!! lol

vCash
    I really really hate to say it, but I am thinking Hall is better off doing the 4th line center position. There are just too many times when I think Laughton looks overwhelmed and lost out there. He doesnt have the confidence/savvy level you need to survive in the NHL. He can get it with tough love in the NHL, or with time in juniors and AHL. If the team thinks they can win now, Hall all the way. But if they are looking to build a core and be content with a 1st round loss, I guess Laughton is the right choice.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by castan_b View Post
    welll - last night was a disaster - hopefully voracek won't be out long

this team really needs to focus on a better start and scoring first, or its going to be a long season fighting for the final playoff spot

i'm getting really tired of us not playing until the 2nd period starts
    it is so frustrating watching this team not adjust for the Devils. When you play a part of the game to an extreme side of the spectrum, like the Devils do with their forecheck, it creates a huge weakness. They are always forechecking 2 guys in deep, just some basic positioning by the Flyers forwards and you have a golden break-out pass every time. They never adjust for it, so annoying. Last night I remember once Giroux put himself in the spot of wide open ice when the Devils were doing their forecheck.

On another note, I really think Schneider is going to regress the Devils defensive play. Anybody else notice how clear it was that Broduer was not in net? No more insane puck handling. The Flyers could dump the puck in and create offensive pressure without a problem. I'd be very nervous about that if I am a Devils fan. Them losing Broduer is almost like Philly losing Pronger

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Stevens View Post
    it is so frustrating watching this team not adjust for the Devils. When you play a part of the game to an extreme side of the spectrum, like the Devils do with their forecheck, it creates a huge weakness. They are always forechecking 2 guys in deep, just some basic positioning by the Flyers forwards and you have a golden break-out pass every time. They never adjust for it, so annoying. Last night I remember once Giroux put himself in the spot of wide open ice when the Devils were doing their forecheck.

On another note, I really think Schneider is going to regress the Devils defensive play. Anybody else notice how clear it was that Broduer was not in net? No more insane puck handling. The Flyers could dump the puck in and create offensive pressure without a problem. I'd be very nervous about that if I am a Devils fan. Them losing Broduer is almost like Philly losing Pronger

except Schneider only gave up 1 goal. if he gave up 3 then, yeah, i'd say they'd have something to worry about. he's not great with the puck, and of course they'll miss Brodeur, but as long as Schneider is stopping pucks and keeping the score low for the opposition, i really don't think they'll care too much about how he handles the puck.

vCash

Flyers Roster / Trade thread.

It's just the preseason, can't read into any statistics or scores from the preseason. But his inability to interrupt the dump in, is for real

vCash
    So far every pre-season game I've seen the Flyers play they seem to be a step behind the other teams. They regularly are out hustled. Plus their high priced defense is very mediocre.

vCash
    Its preseason. Ill worry if they get off to a start like they had last year.

vCash
    I fear that hints of laziness in the preseason will lead to a hangover at the beginning of the season. Maybe a couple games until they wake up. But I think they will, and be fine

Page 1 of 193 1231151101 ... LastLast