Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Who will we spend our $13(?) million dollar TPE on?

I'm going to list some candidates over next few days then put a new poll to vote on. Feel free to suggest.

Danny Granger is who I really want at the moment.
    Also Nick Young same reason. Scorer punch off the bench.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanklin View Post
    I'm going to list some candidates over next few days then put a new poll to vote on. Feel free to suggest.

Danny Granger is who I really want at the moment.
    Also Nick Young same reason. Scorer punch off the bench.
    Great thread, I had been thinking about this as well. This is an asset that could potentially make the warriors a contender this year if somethings go right, and the front office manages this resource appropriately.

An important thing to keep in mind is that the team has until next july to make a move. If they time this right- there is a good chance that teams will be desperate to unload salary for this coming offseason. If they can take advantage of a team that is in full out tank mode and trying to land a top draft pick and one of the big name free agents- the trade exception becomes extremely valuable.

A few things, that should be considered though.

1) The warriors are at between 65-67 million depending on what contracts they choose to guarantee and which players they end up waiving. The luxury tax line will be at around 70 million. Will lacob be willing to go into luxury, and how far will he be willing to go? (That player the warriors get had better be an impact player who makes them clearly better.)

2) There are some really good players that could be had like danny granger, Do the warriors want the best possible player or do they want the guy whos gonna help their team the most. I don't think our bench scoring will be that bad. I think speights, barnes, and douglas will be ok there.

I actually think the warriors have too many guys like seth curry, douglas, bazemore... and not enough point guards. I would love for them to bring in a player who can actually run a team. As of now that would be the biggest hole on their roster IMO. A guy like kirk heinrich would be awesome. Jameer Nelson is another player id like, Luke Ridnour, maybe ramon sessions, and if the suns want to go all in on bledsoe and free up a chunk of cap space... Goran Dragic would be awesome as a back up pg
    A role model if I ever knew one

vCash
    BTW- I think we currently have a 4 million dollar trade exception and an 11 million dollar one. I dont think any of our players sent to utah had a 13 million dollar per yr contract

vCash
    I agree about getting a floor control backup PG ... I think the team is hoping what they've got will take care of it with Curry getting more straight PG time and Klay working on handling and decision making and Andre "Don't call me Iggy" Iguodala running the team some, and Douglas having shown some flashes in the past and Nedovic showing some promise in Euro ball ... there is a lot of untapped or unrealized talent there ... it's just that it's unknown enough to make me nervous.

Something else to consider would be using it to acquire a young athletic PF/C who has shown flashes but is inconsistent.

vCash
    Jarrett Jack :/

vCash
    i would love someone like ramon sessions backing up curry. also i this the exception is a good chanch for us to wait and see where ther injuries happen then fill that void. Hopefully we are healthy this year but you never know could be huge for us if say bogut got hurt God forbid.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    I agree about getting a floor control backup PG ... I think the team is hoping what they've got will take care of it with Curry getting more straight PG time and Klay working on handling and decision making and Andre "Don't call me Iggy" Iguodala running the team some, and Douglas having shown some flashes in the past and Nedovic showing some promise in Euro ball ... there is a lot of untapped or unrealized talent there ... it's just that it's unknown enough to make me nervous.

Something else to consider would be using it to acquire a young athletic PF/C who has shown flashes but is inconsistent.
    Actually this looks like an area the warriors were concerned with after the spurs series. I actually think we are pretty loaded at the 4/5 spot. If bogut stays healthy and has no restrictions- I might even consider trading one of our bigs (for the right piece in return of course).

I think lees Minutes will probably go down 3 or 4 a game this season, which I believe is a good thing. The addition of Bogut to the every day line up is huge- meaning Lee wont have to be paired with his back up PF for 2/3 of the game.

Bogut, Lee, Speights, Oneil, Ezeli, (and I even expect Green and Barnes to see some time at the 4 spot this season.)

Also the player you are describing sounds kind of like a project. An unproven player with a lot of talent. (Im thinking Ed Davis). I'm not necessarily against that type of player, but using this trade exception will likely put the team into the luxury tax.

I think they would be willing to go into the luxury tax only if they were 100% sure that the player coming in would immediately make them a better team and make a championship a very real possibility. As you can see- last year they dumped the salaries of project type players to get under the luxury tax.

vCash
    Anyone who doesn't think we desperately need a stretch four are up in the night. Like David Lee can run the same killer plays that Matt Bonner or Ryan Anderson can run. Please.

I would do a Barnes for Illyasova and Ridnour swap for this reason and to clear the logjam while getting rid of the pressure that paying Barnes is going to bring. It also brings in the pure point we need.

This trade is a no brainer for both sides.

vCash
    Anyone who doesn't think we desperately need a stretch four are up in the night. Like David Lee can run the same killer plays that Matt Bonner or Ryan Anderson can run. Please.

I would do a Barnes for Illyasova and Ridnour swap for this reason and to clear the logjam while getting rid of the pressure that paying Barnes is going to bring. It also brings in the pure point we need.

Yeah- I might be a little bit Bias, but Im not trading barnes for anything short of a franchise changer. I really think barnes is THAT good. I like Ridnour a lot too. Speights is a very good shooter for a big guy actually and what he has on bonner is that hes actually a good player too.

vCash
    Speights a stretch four? He hasn't made 10 3 pointers in his career! And you think he can run the same plays as Bonner used to for the Spurs?

vCash
    Speights a stretch four? He hasn't made 10 3 pointers in his career! And you think he can run the same plays as Bonner used to for the Spurs?
    didnt say he could do the exact same thing as Bonner- but he shoots 15-19 footers with the best bigs in the game. Bonner isnt THAT important of a player, spurs would have figured out a way to be just as good without him.

why is it that we NEED a stretch 4 anyway? couldnt we just play barnes at the 4 if we wanted to shoot the ball?

vCash

"I want to do irreparable damage to this franchise for years to come because I want to increase our win curvature by one and a half games."
    Quote Originally Posted by Monta is beast View Post
    How do I think [Kevin] Love helps his team lose? Terrible defense, chucker, basically a of version if Monta

vCash
    I think the team is in good shape at 4/5 this year, but part of my thinking is next year when Bogut and O'Neal are free agents. Also supporting the idea that we maybe don't need another big is as far as I have read Kuzmic is expected to be on the team this year (he bought out his pro-contract in Spain), but like Ezeli he is a better defensive player than offensive player. What we need is to merge Kuzmic and Lee into a 36 year old 6'11" athletic defensive PF who can score in a variety of ways and is a good passer

Also, on the PG front, Seth has supposedly looked good in informal practices and Nedovic outplayed Tony Parker last week in the Euroleague ... then Spain kicked Serbia's *** while the French team made the finals.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    I think the team is in good shape at 4/5 this year, but part of my thinking is next year when Bogut and O'Neal are free agents. Also supporting the idea that we maybe don't need another big is as far as I have read Kuzmic is expected to be on the team this year (he bought out his pro-contract in Spain), but like Ezeli he is a better defensive player than offensive player. What we need is to merge Kuzmic and Lee into a 36 year old 6'11" athletic defensive PF who can score in a variety of ways and is a good passer

Also, on the PG front, Seth has supposedly looked good in informal practices and Nedovic outplayed Tony Parker last week in the Euroleague ... then Spain kicked Serbia's *** while the French team made the finals.
    Ive heard that about kuzmic, I still think hes viewed as a project- Kind of like jeremy Tyler. I wouldnt pass up on a proven big to make sure there is a roster spot for kuzmic.

Ive also heard good things about seth and nedovic- but with the warriors on the cusp of being real contenders- Id feel better with an experienced floor leader out there as opposed to an experiment. I just thinkt he competitive games are more important now

vCash
    I agree. I hope we can develop the youth and hopefully they can earn some floor time and improve quickly, but if we have to rely on them then we could be in serious trouble.

The Warriors are in pretty good shape this year at 1 and 2 at 3, 4, and 5. 2 is in good shape if you put Iguodala as the backup 2. So from the perspective of this year the non-starters at 1 have the most questions. Douglas looked good when he got the minutes with the Knicks so I hope he's all in with the Ws right now and he fills the big shoes Jack left.

If the Raptors offered Lowry for a draft pick and the exception would you jump at it?

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast