Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

official training camp/preseason thread

This is a place we can talk about all training camp news and preseason games.

vCash

@ESPNSteinLine: Hearing: With only 13 guaranteed deals, Grizzlies will bring vet forward Tony Gaffney to training camp to give him a shot at a roster spot

@ESPNSteinLine: Gaffney has already signed this season w/Telekom Baskets Bonn in Germany but has clause in contract which allows him to take NBA camp invite

vCash
    DOn't know this guy....what's he got to offer?
    "You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometime, you might find, you get what you need"

HERE'S TO THE 2014-2015 SEASON !! GO GRIZZ !!!

vCash

Well just from what I remember, he played at umass. Like 6'9, combo 3/4 type player. I'll get back to you on a full scouting report

vCash
    I'll need it
    "You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometime, you might find, you get what you need"

vCash
    NAME: Tony Gaffney

SCHOOL: Massachusetts

POSITION: Power Forward/Center

HEIGHT: 6-foot-8

WEIGHT: 205 pounds

SCOUTING REPORT: When Gaffney averaged 4.5 points and 3.2 rebounds off the bench in his sophomore season at Boston University in 2005-06, he certainly didn’t look like an NBA prospect. Even after transferring to Massachusetts, he didn’t earn much attention in 2007-08, averaging 3.2 points. But Gaffney blossomed into a top contributor for the Minutemen as a senior, averaging a double-double and ranking second in the Atlantic 10 with 10.2 rebounds per game. He also hit 54.2 percent from the field, even showing some range from beyond the 3-point arc. But Gaffney’s true value is at the defensive end, where he ranked third nationally in blocked shots per game (3.8), behind only Mississippi State’s Jarvis Varnado and Connecticut’s Hasheem Thabeet. Gaffney brings a burst of energy along with a surprising combination of size and athleticism, and his versatility as an inside and outside stopper helped him earn A-10 defensive player of the year honors. His lack of height could hold him back as an interior defender at the next level, but his stock seems to be rising.

Gaffney dominated in his senior season at UMass. In thirty games in 2008–09 he averaged 33.9 minutes, 11.5 points, 10.2 rebounds, 1.7 assists, 2 steals, and 3.8 blocks. Gaffney's 3.8 blocks a game ranked him third in the nation in 2008–09. He is also the first person since Shelden Williams to have more than 100 blocks and 50 steals in one season. Gaffney's strong defensive play earned him the Atlantic 10 Defensive Player of the Year award, a spot on the A-10 All-Defensive Team, and a spot on the A-10 Second Team.

in college:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvE1SP1Z-VQ

overseas:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEMu9ugcNDE

just from what I've watched, he reminds me of a mix of Leuer and Arthur.

He can hit the occasional outside jumper, seems to have that sweet spot that Leuer and Arthur have from the ft line area, and is athletic like Arthur. Has a huge 7'2 wingspan so he can block some shots too. I'm sure he will get some run in the preseason and see what he can offer. I wonder where he was on Hollingers draft rating?

vCash
    What up Grizz! Looking forward to another great season! Could this be year 3 we meet in the playoffs? God forbid it be the 1st round again. Will the rivalry finally get the respect it deserves? Should be a fun year!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracka2HI! View Post
    What up Grizz! Looking forward to another great season! Could this be year 3 we meet in the playoffs? God forbid it be the 1st round again. Will the rivalry finally get the respect it deserves? Should be a fun year!!
    can't wait to get the season started! I'd love to go to a grizz game vs the clippers, should be fun. I really hope we dont meet in the first round again though lol. Maybe in WCF or something

vCash
    Hey Cracka!! Yeah, I'd rather not meet in the first 2 rounds!!! Ha! Here's to a great season for us all !

vCash

Two more camp invites:

Derrick Byars

Melvin ely

vCash
    Training camp has been going on close to a week now. Open practice is tomorrow at 12 in nashville for any fans wanting to go. The first 1500 are admission, so it looks like i'll be up early and get there as early as possible. (its 1 hour drive from my house). Heres to hoping i get great seats and meet some of the grizz

vCash

Well I got to go to the open practice today and great seats too! They ran through about 20-30 mins of drills and had a twenty min scrimmage. I spoke with mike miller briefly and was up close and personal with all the players. Early observations: z-Bo looks to be in great shape and was a vocal leader. Koufas looks good as does calathes. Franklin is still learning the ropes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MrfadeawayJB View Post
    Well I got to go to the open practice today and great seats too! They ran through about 20-30 mins of drills and had a twenty min scrimmage. I spoke with mike miller briefly and was up close and personal with all the players. Early observations: z-Bo looks to be in great shape and was a vocal leader. Koufas looks good as does calathes. Franklin is still learning the ropes.
    Lucky you!!! Glad you got that opportunity. And happier to hear they looked good!

vCash

Yes the only bad thing was that TA was slowed with a ankle twist or hamstring pull. Couldn't really tell what happened, but I didn't see them ice it or anything so I'm assuming its nothing serious

vCash

First preseason game tonight!

Side note: akagnon and Byars were waived today

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast