Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pence

vCash

Pence

There have been salary drives, then there is the red-hot, late-closing free-agent-to-be Hunter Pence, who's earning himself more than a pretty pence or two in a noteworthy drive for dough. Pence's big finish is so off-the-charts good it's almost unprecedented, though one that comes to mind is the second half of Carlos Beltran in 2005, who made himself tens of millions of dollars in his final days as an Astro.

Pence this week became the first Giants player to homer in each game of a four-game series against the rival Dodgers since Willie Mays. Then made it five dingers in the four games on Sunday.

Pence became the first Giant to record 16 RBI in five games since Mel Ott did it in 1934. He ended up with 19 RBI in six games.

Pence had such a great week, it's like a month. Speaking of which, as Andrew Baggarly of CSN BayArea (@CSNBaggs) pointed out, he appears en route to breaking the Giants' single-month record for RBI, which is 34 by Jeff Kent. Pence has 23 exactly halfway through. And as Baggarly also pointed out, Pence is one of two players this season with 20 homers, 20 steals and 30 doubles this year, the other being Mike Trout.

Hunter Pence, Giants OF: The Giants and Pence have had preliminary contract talks, as Heny Schulman (@hankschulman) of the San Francisco Chronicle reported, and it's clear they're going to try to keep the player who helped them win a second World Series championship with his “triple double” hit and inspirational speech, and then followed it with a big season (and especially month). But it won't be cheap.

The Giants have the money, and they've showed they like to keep their stars. But the Rangers (a hometown team for Pence as he played at UT-Arlington), who will lose Nelson Cruz, and the Yankees, if they can eschew the original plan to get below the $189-million threshold, loom as threats.

One obvious comp for Pence could be Andre Ethier, who signed for $85 million over five years with the rival Dodgers a couple years ago. One competing executive opined, “Pence is the better player, as Ethier struggles against left-handed pitching.” That exec also cited “inflation plus the year he's had” as factors that could boost his pay further. Another difference: Ethier wasn't yet a free agent when he signed that deal in the final days of the Frank McCourt regime.

In other words, Pence's timing couldn't be better.
    http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/...g-salary-drive

5/85 for Pence?

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    http://imgur.com/a/4UK1e <---- BEST 10-15 SECONDS EVER

vCash
    I'm not really comfortable with a 5 year deal. Like RTL mentioned in the GDT, I'd rather overpay on a 3 year deal.

vCash
    I'm not too comfortable with it either. But I'm sure it'll be similar to that.

Shailene Woodley

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leandres_sf View Post
    I'm not really comfortable with a 5 year deal. Like RTL mentioned in the GDT, I'd rather overpay on a 3 year deal.
    Then let someone else give that to him and go get Ellsburry and Choo. While you will loose your early 2nd and 3rd round picks, you will get a late 1st to make up for it and be better overall. I think the giants have better things to spend their freed up cash on than overpaying a really hot Sept.

vCash
    No ****ing thanks on an Ethier sized contract. Even at $10MM less, I would be extremely leery.
    I Will Eat Your Children.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaban View Post
    Then let someone else give that to him and go get Ellsburry and Choo. While you will loose your early 2nd and 3rd round picks, you will get a late 1st to make up for it and be better overall. I think the giants have better things to spend their freed up cash on than overpaying a really hot Sept.
    Re-signing Pence just seems like the Sabean thing to do. (see Pagan, Angel)

vCash
    I just feel like we'll end up using most of our money to re-sign him lol.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leandres_sf View Post
    Re-signing Pence just seems like the Sabean thing to do. (see Pagan, Angel)
    I don't disagree with this at all. I kind of expect him back in RF in SF come opening day, I just think that there are more productive ways to spend this money, especially in relation to draft picks they would be getting back/ giving up.
    Last edited by ciaban; 09-16-2013 at 03:13 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lincecum55 View Post
    I just feel like we'll end up using most of our money to re-sign him lol.
    Eh. We're going to have quite a bit of money coming off this offseason. I don't exactly know how much, but I believe it's north of $40M. There'll still be a good amount left over if they re-sign Pence to what we expect him to get.

Shailene Woodley

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SFrush90 View Post
    Eh. We're going to have quite a bit of money coming off this offseason. I don't exactly know how much, but I believe it's north of $40M. There'll still be a good amount left over if they re-sign Pence to what we expect him to get.
    Does that ~ $40 million number include the $7 million that will be paid to Zito to make him leave?
    Today is the future that you have built (or neglected) yesterday.

vCash
    I don't know the exact figures but accounting for raises to current players, buyouts, and arbitration cases I don't think we'll have nearly as much money off the books as people would like to think. Always seems to work out that way.

vCash
    Good point.

Shailene Woodley

vCash
    Could very likely be all we get is Pence, a SP, and some spare parts unfortunately.

vCash
    Hunter Pence was named NL Player of the week.

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    http://imgur.com/a/4UK1e <---- BEST 10-15 SECONDS EVER

vCash
    THATS HOW YOU SWEEP THE DODGERS!!!!!!! and way to go pence stay hot

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast