• Marcin Gortat

0 0%
  • Greg Monroe

0 0%
  • Andrew Bogut

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

6th Annual PSD Player Rankings #7 Center In The NBA? (Volume: VI)

Hey guys, It is that time of year again! Once again we kick of the PSD NBA Off-Season Player Rankings. This is the 6th year I have done this on PSD and it always brings some great discussion and debate. Please keep things civil and discuss who you feel is most fitting and deserving of being voted in each poll.

A lot has changed since last season. Lebron James and the Miami Heat are back to back NBA champions after an exciting 7 game series win over the Spurs. Let start the discussion since lots has changed since the start of last season. Please TRY AND VOTE FOR THE BEST PLAYER AND DON'T BE A HOMER. I will leave the poll open for one day and than we can carry on to the next best player at that position. I will add more players after each round. I have also included the results of those last 5 years so everyone can see how much things have changed...Enjoy.

Due to some people complaining that the rule was not written for the PG poll; in order to be eligible for these rankings, players must of played in 10 or more games last season. Thank you.

REMEMBER this is based on who is the best player, not the player who has the potential to be the best

2013 Off-Season PSD C Rankings

1) Tim Duncan
    2) Dwight Howard
    3) Marc Gasol
    4) Joakim Noah
    5) Roy Hibbert
    6) Al Horford
    7)
    8)
    9)
    10)

2012 Off-Season PSD C Rankings

1) Dwight Howard
    2) Andrew Bynum
    3) Kevin Garnett
    4) Marc Gasol
    5) Tim Duncan
    6) Tyson Chandler
    7) Al Horford
    8) Al Jefferson
    9) Roy Hibbert
    10) DeMarcus Cousins

2011 Off-Season C Rankings

1) Dwight Howard
    2) Andrew Bynum
    3) Tim Duncan
    4) Andrew Bogut
    5) Al Horford
    6) Marc Gasol
    7) Tyson Chandler
    8) Joakim Noah
    9) Nene
    10) Al Jefferson

2010 Off-Season C Rankings

1) Dwight Howard
    2) Yao Ming
    3) Andrew Bogut
    4) Brook Lopez
    5) Andrew Bynum
    6) Marc Gasol
    7) Joakim Noah
    8) Al Horford
    9) Al Jefferson
    10) Chris Kaman

2009 Off-Season C Rankings

1) Dwight Howard
    2) Yao Ming
    3) Al Jefferson
    4) Shaquille O'Neal
    5) Andrea Bargnani
    6) Andris Biedrins
    7) Emeka Okafor
    8) Nene
    9) Brook Lopez
    10) Andrew Bynum

2008 Off-Season C Rankings:

1) Dwight Howard
    2) Yao Ming
    3) Al Jefferson
    4) Andrew Bynum
    5) Chris Kaman
    6) Tyson Chandler
    7) Shaquille O'Neal
    8) Marcus Camby
    9) Jermaine O'neal
    10) Andrew Bogut
    Last edited by Mile High Champ; 09-15-2013 at 09:50 AM.

HUP HOLLAND HUP!

Come Check Out the Raptors Forum!
    [/CENTER]

vCash
    Who you got at 7. Chris Bosh finally goes off the board right here I believe.

HUP HOLLAND HUP!

Come Check Out the Raptors Forum!
    [/CENTER]

vCash
    I like Brook Lopez here. Then Cousins, then Chandler and lastly Sanders.

vCash
    Im surprised brook had fallen this far. He def deserves #7 spot.

#KNICKS TAPED PLAYOFFS 2013

vCash
    i'll go brook, he should have gone over Hortford... then Chandler.

vCash
    The necessary from an NBA center is defense, not offense. Also, rebounding. There's not an extreme shortage of guys in the NBA who can score ~19ppg on a 56.7% TS. Brook Lopez in no way has earned this slot when there's elite rim protectors, decision makers (offensively it's massive to know your roll, and at the very least he has that going for him) + rebounders on the board. I'm looking at Tyson.

If Brook was a 25+ PPG guy on a 59%+ TS, OK, we're having a different discussion. But even in that scenario his small forward level rebounding ability and average defense do not do it for me. Not all positions are created equal, and Brook does not make his teams scary to play against in the paint. That's a huge detriment.
    Last edited by tredigs; 09-15-2013 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Clarity

vCash
    Chandler

vCash
    Brook scored almost 20ppg in just 30mpg, hid defense improved, and he has one of the best outside shots for a C.

and this is coming from a Knicks fan that hates the Nets.

Maybe i just saw Brook playing at a higher level against NY, but I think he impacted the game more than Chandler. Nets defense as a whole wasn't too far behind NY's.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tredigs View Post
    The necessary from an NBA center is defense, not offense. Also, rebounding. There's not an extreme shortage of guys in the NBA who can score ~19ppg on a 56.7% TS. Brook Lopez in no way has earned this slot when there's elite rim protectors, decision makers (offensively it's massive to know your roll, and at the very least he has that going for him) + rebounders on the board. I'm looking at Tyson.

If Brook was a 25+ PPG guy on a 59%+ TS, OK, we're having a different discussion. But even in that scenario his small forward level rebounding ability and average defense do not do it for me. Not all positions are created equal, and Brook does not make his teams scary to play against in the paint. That's a huge detriment.
    Just how far would you take this adjusting for positions? You taking Larry Sanders before Brook as well? No love for his per minute/pace adjusted rates?

vCash
    Chris Bosh should not be in the center category. It's unfair because that's not where he's best at. He should still be top 5, it's amazing how underrated Bosh is.

vCash
    Going Bosh here, giving him brownie points for his ultimate emphasis on team oriented play. I do think hes slowing down abit but I do not doubt he could carry a bigger load, not the best #2 and playing out of position stunts his defensive impact, but hes a good team defender and has done this for a championship team, that counts for something.

Horford in the same role would thrive to a greater degree but I dont think hes better than Bosh overall.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    Brook scored almost 20ppg in just 30mpg, hid defense improved, and he has one of the best outside shots for a C.

and this is coming from a Knicks fan that hates the Nets.

Maybe i just saw Brook playing at a higher level against NY, but I think he impacted the game more than Chandler. Nets defense as a whole wasn't too far behind NY's.
    Which is insane, because outside of Brook and Tyson New Jersey has a massive advantage defensively between Wallace and Reggie Evans alone. The rebounding on that team alone would've been abysmal without those two.

His D was pretty good, but not on the paint protecting impact level of Tyson (even just being in the paint effects the way teams have to attack them, which is absolutely not the case against against New Jersey).

Again, from a center I want 3 things in this order:

1: Paint protection and the ability to ward an offense off from even attempting key shots.

2. Rebounding. If you're a big without the ability to own the boards, you're killing your team, especially in post-season matchups when the game gets rougher.

3. Paint ability + FT shooting. Score efficiently and have the ability to pass out of the post.

Tyson's got the foul shooting down fine, but his playmaking and ability to have the ball thrown to him in the post is where he struggles. Still, I want those 3 things in that order out of my center. His leadership ability and proven ability to be a key cog on a championship team only further his case. Whereas Brook has a single playoff appearance which saw them fall to a lower seeded/depleted Bulls squad. He showed well statistically, but again, that team was fortunate to have Reggie Evans to clean up the boards for them. Without him I really think they're losing in 5.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    Just how far would you take this adjusting for positions? You taking Larry Sanders before Brook as well? No love for his per minute/pace adjusted rates?
    Sanders, nah, not yet. He's not nearly as efficient as Tyson offensively and just isn't as refined or proven. But his defense is on another level and I would not be surprised if this same question is a 'yep' 12 months from now. We'll see how hard he works in the offseason.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FlashBolt View Post
    Chris Bosh should not be in the center category. It's unfair because that's not where he's best at. He should still be top 5, it's amazing how underrated Bosh is.
    It's unfortunate, but I think part of the reason he gets knocked is for playing with LeBron James and Dwyane Wade. Life's made easier on him because of that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mrblisterdundee View Post
    It's unfortunate, but I think part of the reason he gets knocked is for playing with LeBron James and Dwyane Wade. Life's made easier on him because of that.
    Yeah, a goose egg in game 7 of the finals where they still killed it did a number on that perception. He's a fair choice here but that's not a guy I want as my center on your normal contender.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast