Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Andrew Bogut: I am 100 percent healthy

OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) -- Andrew Bogut walked around the Golden State Warriors' practice facility in flip-flops Friday, smiling and cracking jokes with reporters he had not seen since May.

Back then, Bogut hobbled around with heavily taped ankles. He winced in pain every time he took a step, and he brushed off the constant questions about his health.

Now?

"I'm excited, man," he said.

After splitting time this summer with family in Australia and Croatia, Bogut said he's "100 percent" healthy and feeling the best he has since fracturing his left ankle in January 2012. He also said he has not been limited in any workouts since July and expects "to play a lot of minutes" this season - the final year of his five-year, $60 million contract.

"The most important thing is not having a trainer or coach tell you that there are restrictions on what you're doing," Bogut said. "I can come in here and do what I want. I can come in here and run. I can condition. I can lift. I can shoot. I can play five-on-five and nobody can tell me I can only do one set or play 20 minutes. I have none of that right now and I'm not going to have any of that during the season."

Bogut missed 50 of 82 games during the regular season, mostly because of soreness in his surgically repaired left ankle. He also battled back and knee injuries while averaging a career-low 5.8 points to go with 7.7 rebounds.

But Bogut played his best in the playoffs despite his limitations. He made all the difference on defense and turned in an unforgettable performance - 21 rebounds, 14 points, four blocks and three assists - in the Game 6 clincher against Denver in the first round, fighting through pain until the San Antonio Spurs eliminated the Warriors in six games in the second round.

"Last season, I put the ball in the post and it was lumber, lumber, lumber, bounce, bounce, bounce, shoot," Bogut said. "Because I got to be honest, I couldn't make quick moves on my ankle or it'd give out or I'd fall over. So I tried not to do too much. Now I'm back to a point where I can make quick moves and go off the dribble."

Bogut spent the first part of the summer in Australia rehabbing his lower body and working with youth at his basketball academy.

The 7-footer took two weeks off from any basketball activities but never stopped his rehabilitation exercises. He worked his way back slowly by doing non-impact activities such as riding a bike or boxing drills that kept him in shape without putting strain on his ankle.

When the wet and rainy winter Down Under intensified, Bogut boarded a flight to the warmer climate of Croatia, where Warriors head athletic trainer JoHan Wang spent above five days with him last month. Bogut said most days included working out for about four hours in the morning, eating lunch, getting treatment and then relaxing at the beach until dusk.

There was still at least one distraction no matter where he went.

Bogut couldn't help but keep an eye on NBA free agency as the Warriors flirted with Dwight Howard, who eventually signed with the Houston Rockets. He said he didn't take it "too personal" that the Warriors sought the center's services because "right now Dwight is a better player than I am."

Instead, he tried to laugh off all the media coverage and tried not to worry.

"I think Dwight created a bit of a circus with it all," Bogut said. "He wanted to get his 5 minutes."

Staying healthy will be paramount for Bogut and the Warriors this season.

Golden State, which finished 47-35 to earn the Western Conference's sixth seed last season, is hoping to be a serious championship contender. All five starters - Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson, Harrison Barnes, David Lee and Bogut - are back along with prized free agent signing Andre Iguodala, who will likely start at small forward in Barnes' place.

For the first time since Milwaukee made him the No. 1 overall pick in the 2005 NBA draft, Bogut is entering a season without a contract for the next one. He said he isn't worried about an extension and hasn't thought about how long he'll play.

For now, he's just happy to be healthy again and participating in voluntary team workouts before training camp begins Sept. 29.

"It was hell for me the last 12 months, to be honest," Bogut said. "I'm just happy that that light is getting brighter and brighter for me in the tunnel and it's at the stage now where I feel like I'm driving out of that tunnel."

http://www.nba.com/2013/news/09/13/w...s=iref:nbahpts

http://www.nba.com/warriors/contests/dubspeech

In the video there, he looks skinny and... high.

vCash
    yay!
    49ers, Athletics, Warriors = Life!

49ers = 12-4
    Warriors = 51-31 Making it rain!
    A's = 59-36 Back to Back AL West Champs!
    WINNING!

vCash
    nice enthusiasm.

vCash
    I thought so... lol

But seriously... I will be stoked/shocked if he plays 70+ games
    49ers, Athletics, Warriors = Life!

49ers = 12-4
    Warriors = 51-31 Making it rain!
    A's = 59-36 Back to Back AL West Champs!
    WINNING!

vCash
    Oh here we go again....

So it's amazing how a contract year could make a guy feel so much better. He's conveniently feeling 100% better as he approaches his last chance at a nice multi year deal.

On the other hand- around this time last yr- the fans were told not to worry and bogut was right on schedule (although there was no time table for him).... so yeah- I think I was the only one who found that kind of odd. "He'll be back when hes ready, but hes doing great and hes right on schedule".... gotta love it.

This time i really want to believe he is feeling 100%- although that could change if he wakes up and has a sore back (hell milk that for a month). Scoots- your the expert on evaluating these things. How should one "Frame this interview from bogut" should we expect that hes telling the full truth- trying to keep the positive buzz about the team, or doing what he can to sound like a player the team will extend"
    A role model if I ever knew one

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by likemystylez View Post
    Oh here we go again....

So it's amazing how a contract year could make a guy feel so much better. He's conveniently feeling 100% better as he approaches his last chance at a nice multi year deal.

On the other hand- around this time last yr- the fans were told not to worry and bogut was right on schedule (although there was no time table for him).... so yeah- I think I was the only one who found that kind of odd. "He'll be back when hes ready, but hes doing great and hes right on schedule".... gotta love it.

This time i really want to believe he is feeling 100%- although that could change if he wakes up and has a sore back (hell milk that for a month). Scoots- your the expert on evaluating these things. How should one "Frame this interview from bogut" should we expect that hes telling the full truth- trying to keep the positive buzz about the team, or doing what he can to sound like a player the team will extend"
    That's what makes contract years so awesome for teams. I don't care if he is playing for his next contract if he is amazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monta is beast View Post
    How do I think [Kevin] Love helps his team lose? Terrible defense, chucker, basically a of version if Monta

vCash
    That's a very pessimistic way of approaching it.

This time i really want to believe he is feeling 100%- although that could change if he wakes up and has a sore back (hell milk that for a month).
    A sore back? Talk about an understatement, he had a hairline fracture, do you have any idea how painful that can be for a normal person? Never mind an athlete who is expected to play through it. And because he suffers from the stress fracture it's likely it will be a problem now and then, he's not milking it, it's a genuine health issue.

Do you have to get all whiny and menstrual every time his name is brought up? He never milked an injury HE WAS INJURED. Give me evidence that proves he was milking it, are you his doctor? Are you HIM? How could you ever possibly know how much pain he was in?

If anything he came back far too soon. He should have taken more time to recover, he says it himself in that interview he rushed back when he shouldn't have. He even played through the playoffs when his ankle was in pieces.

Get a grip.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Goose17 View Post
    That's a very pessimistic way of approaching it.

A sore back? Talk about an understatement, he had a hairline fracture, do you have any idea how painful that can be for a normal person? Never mind an athlete who is expected to play through it. And because he suffers from the stress fracture it's likely it will be a problem now and then, he's not milking it, it's a genuine health issue.

Do you have to get all whiny and menstrual every time his name is brought up? He never milked an injury HE WAS INJURED. Give me evidence that proves he was milking it, are you his doctor? Are you HIM? How could you ever possibly know how much pain he was in?

If anything he came back far too soon. He should have taken more time to recover, he says it himself in that interview he rushed back when he shouldn't have. He even played through the playoffs when his ankle was in pieces.

Get a grip.
    The doctors said he was clear to go over a month before the season started last year. These are doctors who went to medical school and know what they are talking about. but i guess you know more than the doctors that cleared him. Also it was Bogut who shut himself down because he wasnt as explosive as he wanted to be- he didnt even try to play himself back into shape. It makes you wonder though- if last season was a contract year- would he have played more than the first 4 games? Would he have come back sooner?

Bogut himself said in interviews through out the summer in 2012 that he would definitely be ready to go by training camp. The doctors then cleared him. I realize the info on his stress fracture wasnt released until December- but do you really think both he and the doctors werent aware of the stress fracture?

If your answer to any of this is something like "They said what they needed to say to sell tickets and keep fans upbeat about the warriors"- I suppose thats an argument one could make to justify the conflicting information on bogut all last year- but then you cant tell me to get a grip when im not completely sold when he says he is 100% all of a sudden this yr.

vCash
    It would be great to get 70+ games from Bogut. I can't wait for the season to start!

Slumpy Shoulder HR Counter: 10

vCash
    LOL, I saw this article and I immediately though about what your response would be Stylez, and I must say that I nailed it

It's the offseason, every team is equal for now. Let's not borrow trouble and just see what comes ... Bogut himself doesn't have a history of lying about his health I don't think, and the fact that last year he admitted he was considering retirement makes me think he's not likely to suddenly play differently just because he's in a contract year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    LOL, I saw this article and I immediately though about what your response would be Stylez, and I must say that I nailed it

It's the offseason, every team is equal for now. Let's not borrow trouble and just see what comes ... Bogut himself doesn't have a history of lying about his health I don't think, and the fact that last year he admitted he was considering retirement makes me think he's not likely to suddenly play differently just because he's in a contract year.
    wow, do I really need to link the articles or the youtube interviews where he said he would definitely be back by training camp? I thought I thoroughly proved that something very very very shady was going on last yr in regards to disclosing the injury situation.

See scoots, you cant have it both ways. You cant say stuff like "The team doesnt have to disclose anything and every team does this with every injury" then turn around and say there is no history of lying about a players health"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leandres_sf View Post
    It would be great to get 70+ games from Bogut. I can't wait for the season to start!
    i hope 70+ games in the regular season (not including preseason or playoffs.)... also none of this minute restriction or night off on back to back. for 13 million a yr- the guy plays with no restrictions.

Hes in a tough position with me though. If he goes out there and plays 34 mpg for 82 games- then hes doing it for a contract year (and I question whether he really needed to sit out the last 2 yrs). If he goes out and has problems and plays 28 games with minute restrictions- then hes a waste of 13 million a yr. Oh well- interviews like this and the ones in summer league last yr dont leave a great taste in my mouth and make me question whats real and whats not when they talk about injuries.

vCash
    i hope 70+ games in the regular season (not including preseason or playoffs.)... also none of this minute restriction or night off on back to back. for 13 million a yr- the guy plays with no restrictions.

Hes in a tough position with me though. If he goes out there and plays 34 mpg for 82 games- then hes doing it for a contract year (and I question whether he really needed to sit out the last 2 yrs). If he goes out and has problems and plays 28 games with minute restrictions- then hes a waste of 13 million a yr. Oh well- interviews like this and the ones in summer league last yr dont leave a great taste in my mouth and make me question whats real and whats not when they talk about injuries.

WE KNOW Stylez...WE KNOW

"Next season Lee will solidify himself as a star in the playoffs, if not before. Book it." -lolPhillies 4/22/2013 3:26 PM

vCash
    Bogut can say he feels great all he wants, his body will disagree with him mid-season.
    It's the same freaking song professional players play when it's contract year, nothing new. For Bogut, it's a wait and see with him.

vCash
    Stylez is that you?

GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS
    "From the stomach at birth, till I'm under the earth."

#DUBSUP

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast