Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

NBA To Use Motion Tracking Cameras Next Year For All 30 Teams

Tried to search for the thread related to this, had no luck. I'm sure it was brought up a month ago when the news came, if so feel free to merge mods. Anyways I'm pretty stoked about it and read a new article last night about it on Discovery News, here is an excerpt.

"Statsí SportVU Player tracking system, a platform that includes six cameras and exclusive software, will be used by all 30 NBA teams during game play to record and measure the movements of the ball and all players on the court. A continuous stream of data and innovative statistics will therefore be available, chronicling speed, distance, player separation and ball possession for a deeper and more targeted analysis. (Super fans, commence drooling.)"

http://news.discovery.com/tech/apps/...ing-130913.htm

I think being able to track speed and ball possession will be AWESOME additions for the entire league. We will now be able to tell for sure who the fastest and most athletic players really are. I'm curious to see who runs a faster full court between Wall and say Rose. I think this is one of the things the NBA is doing that is small but will improve the game and make it more interactive long term.

vCash