Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Is Pep Hamilton in over his head?

I was disgusted not only with the play mix between run and pass on Sunday, but on Hamilton's inability to get more of a variety of playmakers involved.

I realize it's only the first game of the season, but this article frankly concerns me:

http://espn.go.com/blog/indianapolis...he-ball-around

He's trying to spread it around? Exactly how did he try to do that on Sunday?

He had all training camp and all of the preseason games to come up with a way to spread the ball around. If he still hasn't figured it out by the second week of the regular season.....

His quotes in the article make it seem like he doesn't have a clue.

vCash
    I look at new coaches the same way I look at players...I'll wait until at least 4-6 games in before I go nuts praising or putting them down....that said on the first look at his offense I agree he seemed like he really didn't have any flow to his game plan and didn't go out of his way to utilize guys like TY, Fleener, or even Bradshaw and at least to me didn't seem to realize how to slow down the rush at all with his play calling. Some of that could have been game plan...and maybe they went with "throw it to Reggie until they cover him" as the game plan and I'm not sure they ever did.

Personally I wouldn't mind seeing more of the old Tom Moore style game plan of throw it to get the lead and run it to seal the game.

Regarding the article:

yes we ran the ball 26 times and threw it 23.....but 6 of those rushes are Luck taking off plus 4 sacks mean if my count is correct we actually called more like 20 rush plays and 33 pass plays and we went a little over 60/40 pass v rush....and with a 4.9 avg (4.8 from Ballard) he should have actually called it a little more 50/50 IMO.

My major concern that they really didn't hammer on, but Pagano kind of brought up is the 53 plays. Last year we averaged a little over 69 plays per game (I think)...and we were off our TOP pace from last year by around 3-4 minutes. If we are going to go more towards the running side we cant be under 32+ minutes of TOP unless we break off some big plays for quick scores. Maybe go a few drives with the quick hitting no huddle and toss it around to soften them up while making guys like TY happy and get them a little worn down then pound it right at them?

vCash
    It's too early for that, imo....

It wasn't a good game on either side of the ball as there are many new players and a new Offensive Scheme. I think I would wait until the bye week before declaring anyone "in over their head" ....
    If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

vCash
    too early for me to get mad. just Pep's first game. If this continues in week 7, then I'll definitely get pissed.

vCash
    I'm pissed now. Hopefully he makes me a believer this Sunday

vCash
    Eh I'll give it a few weeks...I thought the run game looked decent, but yes we need to remain a pass first team. We have Andrew Luck, who is pretty good at football, and all the weapons around him...

#iubb

vCash
    He needs to realize that what he did in Stanford won't be as successful in the NFL. This is a QB's league. You need to throw to win. We don't have a dominant Oline that Stanford had.
    So Anna, what do you think about the notion that Russell Wilson is better than Andrew Luck?

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Luck has the most diverse skill set of any NFL quarterback" - Ron Jaworski on Andrew Luck being a top 5 QB

vCash
    Don't get me wrong. I get we're one game into the season. My problems with him are basically:

1) His main claim to fame is "he was Luck's OC in college" Well, big ****ing whoop.. What did HE do?

2) The reaction of most when he was signed was " Who? WTF?"

This is NOT a guy with a proven track record. He's a guy, much like most of the FA's that Grigson has signed, people are like "WTF?"

For me he gets no leeyway, nothing. Get going, or get gone. We can't afford some assclown to **** up the talent we have on offense including Luck. The fact you do **** in college means jack in the NFL

Him and Pagano want to run some Rey Ryan ground and pound assface offense in the NFL? Great, trade Luck, sign Mark Sanchez and use the money and draft picks to work on the D. You don't need, nor should you have, a Luck if your plan is to run first, pass second.
    Last edited by TheVicster; 09-14-2013 at 02:06 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVicster View Post
    Don't get me wrong. I get we're one game into the season. My problems with him are basically:

1) His main claim to fame is "he was Luck's OC in college" Well, big ****ing whoop.. What did HE do?

2) The reaction of most when he was signed was " Who? WTF?"

This is NOT a guy with a proven track record. He's a guy, much like most of the FA's that Grigson has signed, people are like "WTF?"

For me he gets no leeyway, nothing. Get going, or get gone. We can't afford some assclown to **** up the talent we have on offense including Luck. The fact you do **** in college means jack in the NFL

Him and Pagano want to run some Rey Ryan ground and pound assface offense in the NFL? Great, trade Luck, sign Mark Sanchez and use the money and draft picks to work on the D. You don't need, nor should you have, a Luck if your plan is to run first, pass second.
    Could not agree more. Let Luck stretch the field. Say what you want about Arians but at least it was pass first and he let Luck stretch the field.

vCash
    I disagree. Running the ball is important and helps set the tone of the game, we just suck at it.