Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 42
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    North/Central NJ
    Posts
    212
    vCash
    1500

    Goodbye John and Sue? BREAKING: Yankees reach deal with WFAN/CBS for 2014+ Broadcast

    http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/...r_nyy&c_id=nyy

    http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/09/...th-wfan-am-fm/


    Does this mean no more John and Sue?

    Yankees reach deal with WFAN and CBS to do the Yankee Games from 2014 onward! Both AM (660) and PM stations (101.9).

    I am very happy because 880 came in so terrible I couldn't listen to the game as I drove. 101.9 comes in great and is FM quality!
    Last edited by jackals; 09-11-2013 at 03:31 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    In the clouds
    Posts
    4,673
    vCash
    1500
    I wonder how 101.9 comes in so clear, as if it were FM....
    1225

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    5,711
    vCash
    3909

    Goodbye John and Sue? BREAKING: Yankees reach deal with WFAN/CBS for 2014+ Broadcast

    I knew this yesterday

    ACE
    1-1
    7.50 ERA
    12.0 IP
    12 K
    1.33 WHIP

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Clearwater, Fl
    Posts
    6,230
    vCash
    1500
    They will just hire them....no biggie....I actually like listening to Sterling, but a little aggravating on his deep fly balls...
    Nick

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,704
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by jackals View Post
    http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/...r_nyy&c_id=nyy

    http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/09/...th-wfan-am-fm/


    Does this mean no more John and Sue?

    Yankees reach deal with WFAN and CBS to do the Yankee Games from 2014 onward! Both AM (660) and PM stations (101.9).

    I am very happy because 880 came in so terrible I couldn't listen to the game as I drove. 101.9 comes in great and is FM quality!
    I have lived in other markets that changed their TV/Radio affiliations often... You will find that John and Sue are probably Yankee employees and the station is just broadcasting what they put out. This is common.. How else could guys like Harwell in Detroit and Vin Scully in LA (he followed the Dodgers west as he started as their voice in Brooklyn) stay on for so long.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,735
    vCash
    1500

    Goodbye John and Sue? BREAKING: Yankees reach deal with WFAN/CBS for 2014+ Broadcast

    It's up to the Yankees who they hire as an announcer. John and sue will most likely stay

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    3,789
    vCash
    1500
    Sterling is legally blind. It's time for the Yanks to move on.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    4,013
    vCash
    1500
    FOR ALL OF YOU WONDERING WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO JOHN AND SUE... READ THIS!!! (Credit Nytimes)

    The futures of John Sterling and Suzyn Waldman as the Yankees’ radio announcers do not seem in doubt. Ultimately, the Yankees have final approval over the announcers but consult with the station, and the team has shown no unhappiness with them. But over the next 10 years at WFAN, their workload could be reduced to allow the Yankees to introduce a younger voice who might be with the team for next two or three decades. Sterling, in his 25th season with the Yankees, is in his 70s; Waldman, in her ninth season, is 67.
    Source- NyTimes
    Last edited by xabial; 09-11-2013 at 11:36 PM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,584
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Decimotox View Post
    I wonder how 101.9 comes in so clear, as if it were FM....
    101.9 is FM. FM stands for frequency modulation as in how often the radio signal happens every second. FM stations broadcast MHZ (mega hertz) and are those little letters at the end of you radio face plate. M stands for mega which equals millions and hz stands for hertz which is how often a signal is sent every second. All FM stations are im MHZ. In this case the signal happens 101.9 million times per second and that gives it the quality.

    On the other hand all AM stations (amplitude modulation) operate in KHZ (kilo hertz)which is only thousands of times per second. So 660 AM only has a signal that is sent just 660 thousand times per second. Much less quality than a FM station. But AM does have some benefit. It stands for amplitude modulation which means they are more concerned with the strength/ampltiude of the signal and that is why you can usually pick up your favorite AM station many miles from home but your favorite (not so strong) FM station fades away not to far down the highway.
    "Well, that kind of puts a damper on even a Yankee win."
    -- Yankees announcer Phil Rizzuto after reading a bulletin that Pope Paul VI had died

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    30,075
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by xabial View Post
    Yankees have final approval over the announcers but consult with the station, and the team has shown no unhappiness with them.

    Source- NyTimes
    they happy w/ this goofball, blind-ball duo?

    They happy w/ me or other Yankees fans driving on the road at 12 AM or so and hearing.

    "here's the 2-2, swung on, driven to LF, Gardner back a-way back, he leaps and..........makes
    the catch! ohhhhhhhhh what a PLAY! an amazing catch! to save the game!"


    "John..he missed the ball"

    "Jones crosses the plate, uh....the Orioles are celebrating. Gardner I'm sorry folks, I thought he had it, look like he did, just missed a game saving catch, the Orioles win this one 5-4 in the 10th"

    "It LOOKED like Gardner caught it but it just hit the tip of the wall. And goes down as a GW double. What a series of events WOAH!"

    OPERATION "BOOM!"
    THE BLOW UP WILL BE TELEVISED


    King Phil's entrance music
    I follow rules and appreciate the ignore button

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    30,075
    vCash
    1500
    OPERATION "BOOM!"
    THE BLOW UP WILL BE TELEVISED


    King Phil's entrance music
    I follow rules and appreciate the ignore button

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,584
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by KniCks4LiFe View Post
    they happy w/ this goofball, blind-ball duo?

    They happy w/ me or other Yankees fans driving on the road at 12 AM or so and hearing.

    "here's the 2-2, swung on, driven to LF, Gardner back a-way back, he leaps and..........makes
    the catch! ohhhhhhhhh what a PLAY! an amazing catch! to save the game!"


    "John..he missed the ball"

    "Jones crosses the plate, uh....the Orioles are celebrating. Gardner I'm sorry folks, I thought he had it, look like he did, just missed a game saving catch, the Orioles win this one 5-4 in the 10th"

    "It LOOKED like Gardner caught it but it just hit the tip of the wall. And goes down as a GW double. What a series of events WOAH!"

    Suzy is a deep thinker. I was listening to a game on the radio one afternoon and a jet was flying over Yankee Stadium and it very loud and you could hear it very well even on the car radio. All of sudden Suzy asks, 'Hey John did you ever look up at a plane in the sky and wonder where the people were going"?

    I'm thinking, yeah Suzy almost every person who has ever lived has done that. Instead of calling her a dipsy brain John says something like, 'That is nice that you do that, alot of people just ignore them'

    Theres a drive, it is HIGH, it is FAR, it is DEEP oh, looks like he is going to make the catch in front of the warning track for the thrid out.

    That was in the past. He got enough flak over it and he changed his call this year to, 'there is a drive to right, Johnson going back, track, wall and that ball is gone or track, wall and he makes the catch. He has learned to allow for some time before he announces the ball has been hit 800'.
    "Well, that kind of puts a damper on even a Yankee win."
    -- Yankees announcer Phil Rizzuto after reading a bulletin that Pope Paul VI had died

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    52,054
    vCash
    1500
    anything that removes John Sterling i'm ok with
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 11 to go

    1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals (May 2014)


  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,231
    vCash
    1500
    I have been listening to these voices for my entire lifetime as a Yankee fan and often wonder what the hell you people are talking about...

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,584
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by IceHawk-181 View Post
    I have been listening to these voices for my entire lifetime as a Yankee fan and often wonder what the hell you people are talking about...
    And you are positive that you had the volume turned up loud enough to hear them?
    "Well, that kind of puts a damper on even a Yankee win."
    -- Yankees announcer Phil Rizzuto after reading a bulletin that Pope Paul VI had died

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •