Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

What was your biggest issue this week?

I think the most obvious issues were...

Pass Protection: Luck was sacked 4 times and was hit way too many times. He often didn't have enough time to set his feet.

Pass Rush: Pryor had all day to throw.

Defending against the read option: Couldn't stop Pryor.. and when they did get to him the defense couldn't bring him down.

Coaching: Didn't really notice any half time adjustments? Play calling seemed to vanilla. The team just seemed to be really unprepared to defend against Pryor..?

Not utilizing players properly... I guess this can fall into the coaching category, but Hilton didn't see the field enough. Fleener/Allen were hardly targeted. Why even have these TE's on the roster?

Other: Any other problems you can think of?
    "We earned this ****ing burn. It doesn’t matter how you get from A to B. Our goal at the beginning of this ****ing season is to win a ****ing World Series, and guess what, boys, we’re going to the ****ing dance." - The Reverend Hunter Pence

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck

vCash
    You nailed them all IMO. That game was a joke.

vCash
    Imo, the lack of adjustments on both sides of the ball disappointed me.

Offense: The best way to quell the blitz happy Defense is to run draw and counter plays. They did run the ball well but a few of these plays would have helped to keep them honest.

Defense: I expected some aggressive blitzing and saw none? Mathis without Freeney worried me before the season...even more so now. Also, why wasn't a Linebacker shadowing Pryor? He was all they had and I can't help but think that Angerer and Conner being out hurt bad in this game?
    If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

vCash
    Let's just list players that did well. That might be easier.

vCash
    I agree about the blitzing. Once it was clear that Pryor wanted to run more than throw, we should have started blitzing his ***. Play-calling on both sides of the ball were questionable.

I did like how we looked good in the first half against the run. Toler looked good in pass defense. Was Werner even out there? I didn't see him many any plays.

vCash
    I can't really complain about the pass rush. They tried a lot of different things including spying and mush rush (which didn't work) but it looked like the plan was more to keep Pryor in the pocket than to go after him with the rush. Let's wait to complain about the rush until we see a QB that going after wouldn't be counter productive. I remember at least 2-3 plays where we missed tackles on Pryor and just about 80% of the QBs in the league would have been sacked.

We wanted him to throw and my bigger complaint about the QB was that we couldn't keep containment and fell for fakes when the plan was to stop him from getting outside, hold ground, and make him pass (which caused 2 ints)

On the targeting the TE thing...Allen didn't play at all in the 2nd half due to a hip injury (I think) and I'm still confused why they didn't even mention it to my knowledge in the broadcast...I'm not sure when he actually went out but it has to be close to if not halftime. Luck missed on something like 1 pass in the 1st half and to that point Reggie was open all day and if that happens why go anywhere else? TY was targeted 2nd most behind Reggie and he is our deep threat....sometimes he will go big and at or over 200 yards and sometimes he will have 20-30 if they are defending the deep routes....

That said my biggest concerns were keeping containment on D, secondary communication, and offensive line pass blocking.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thaShady View Post
    I agree about the blitzing. Once it was clear that Pryor wanted to run more than throw, we should have started blitzing his ***. Play-calling on both sides of the ball were questionable.

I did like how we looked good in the first half against the run. Toler looked good in pass defense. Was Werner even out there? I didn't see him many any plays.
    All Blitzing does is give Pryor less people to beat in the 2nd level if he takes off. With a QB that wants to run, blitzing anything that breaks contain and/or gives him a lane (and most likely playing man D with your DBs worried about only their man and not the QB) is just inviting him to take off with little to no help in the 2nd level. Would have liked to see more 3 or 4 man mush rush with a spy and someone out wide on both ends to keep containment while possibly using someone that could keep up with him and tackle from the secondary as a nickel Spy....hell wouldn't have minded moving Bethea or Landry to spy and putting another DB in their position or just playing a safety short at times.
    Last edited by matthollabak; 09-09-2013 at 03:56 PM.

vCash
    I am pretty concerned about Werner.. He was only used as a down end and he failed to contain pryor on a big run that set up their first score. I thought we should have taken Patterson with the pick and I hope Werner picks it up fast.

vCash
    I was surprised by the lack of screen passes this team ran. I only remember one... Hilton caught a screen for like 5 yards. But in preseason it seemed like the screen would be part of the 'run' game.
    "We earned this ****ing burn. It doesn’t matter how you get from A to B. Our goal at the beginning of this ****ing season is to win a ****ing World Series, and guess what, boys, we’re going to the ****ing dance." - The Reverend Hunter Pence

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightrider28 View Post
    Let's just list players that did well. That might be easier.
    Offense: Andrew, Reggie, Allen (when he was in there), DHB, Ballard, I'm sure a couple members of the Oline did well but it's hard to notice who plays well when the team is constantly giving up pressure.

Defense: LANDRY, Toler, RJF, Redding, Mathis, Bethea (?) - not sure about Bethea but he did get the clinching INT.

Sheppard was by far the worst player on the field though.

<3

vCash
    NOT USING T.Y HILTON ENOUGH!!!!!!!!! The defense for the Raiders is asssssssssss, how did Hilton have such a great preseason but was barely even seen this game??????????...........

vCash
    Bethea won the game so yeah he belongs on there.

vCash
    For everyone *****ing about the o-line, here's an interesting quote for you:

"Luck throws under pressure: The Raiders were able to sack Luck four times. He faced five or more pass-rushers on 15 of his 31 drop backs -- the third-highest rate of his young career. Luck was on target when he was able to get the ball off. He was 11-of-12 for 99 yards and seven first downs when facing five pass-rushers. "

In other words, when the D was "only" bringing one extra blitzer, the Oline did pretty damn well. It was only when Oakland brought six or more guys that the line struggled, when one of explains to me how 5 guys blocks
    six or seven guys, I'll agree that the O-line played poorly.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVicster View Post
    For everyone *****ing about the o-line, here's an interesting quote for you:

"Luck throws under pressure: The Raiders were able to sack Luck four times. He faced five or more pass-rushers on 15 of his 31 drop backs -- the third-highest rate of his young career. Luck was on target when he was able to get the ball off. He was 11-of-12 for 99 yards and seven first downs when facing five pass-rushers. "

In other words, when the D was "only" bringing one extra blitzer, the Oline did pretty damn well. It was only when Oakland brought six or more guys that the line struggled, when one of explains to me how 5 guys blocks
    six or seven guys, I'll agree that the O-line played poorly.
    Yes you are correct in that you can't blame the OL for every blocking issue...but Satele needs to recognize blitzes along with Luck and either call out a hot route or keep a TE and/or a RB in to help....and Satele or really anyone on the line needs to recognize the blitzes and make sure the rest of the OL sees what is coming and probably call out some blocking assignments. Yes I fell into the "Luck got sacked so blame it on the OL" mindset, but I do realize that blocking isn't just 5 guys. It takes everyone to recognize and adjust...that includes coaches calling plays with chip blocks and Hot routes built in if they are getting pressure...plus maybe throwing in a screen and a few draws to keep them from just pinning their ears back.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinCollie17 View Post
    NOT USING T.Y HILTON ENOUGH!!!!!!!!! The defense for the Raiders is asssssssssss, how did Hilton have such a great preseason but was barely even seen this game??????????...........
    Pep's strange. His infatuation with the full back decreases TY's reps. It's not this team ran any spider 2 y banana's. Did Havili have any impact? Couldn't tell.

<3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast