Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).
    vCash

Why doesn't the COY always go to the best coach?

I've noticed that with most awards, the best players regularly get the awards with few exceptions. For example, LBJ has been the best player in the league for several years and has won 4 of the last 5 MVP awards. Dwight Howard was the best defensive player: he won the award three years in a row. Ben Wallace was the best defensive player: he won 4 out of 5 DPOY awards.

When it comes to coach of the year, however, the best coach is almost ALWAYS overlooked. It often goes to the coach who ended with the best record, or the best turnaround for a team. I think if we had a vote as to "who is the best coach in the league", everybody would agree it was Popovich, but not coach, no matter how AMAZING and how consistent, will EVER win 4 out of 5 COY honours.

Since 99, I think it is fair to say that only two guys were really front runners as the best coach in the game: Pop and Phil Jackson (with Riley in in the conversation and Doc Rivers a littler later). Not it seems that it is clearly Pop and Rivers and and Thibs may challenge him as well.

During their careers, Jackson and Pop have combined for 3 COY awards. Does that even make sense? I mean, Don Nelson has as many COY awards and Pop and Jackson (throw in Jerry Sloan if you like since he never won one at all) combined and he isn't half the coach they are? Don Nelson has 3 COY awards and Sloan has zero. Does that make ANY sense? I mean, Sam Mitchell can't even get a head-coaching job in the league right now and he has as many COY award as Jackson and more than Sloan?

So why is it that when it comes to the MVP voting, or the DPOY, voters want to pick the best player, but when it comes to the COY, voters seldom vote for the best coach at all.
    What the eye doesn't see and the mind doesn't know, doesn't exist.
    Follow me on Twitter and I'll follow back: @JasonJHorn

vCash
    Because sometimes the best coach isn't the coach with the most stacked team. I think voters frown upon those coaches and automatically deduct them in many cases.

vCash
    Its rather simple to be honest. It usually goes to the coach who exceeds expectations.

For example, Pop won it last year. I think the reason he won it was because no one expected the Spurs to be that good. Thus reinforcing how good of a coach he is.

Two years ago, it was Thibs. I don't think anybody expected him to step in like he did and lead the Bulls to such a great record.

Three years ago, it was Scott Brooks. The same can be said. The Thunder were on the come up and topped the league that year. A young team that he took control of.

Four years ago, it was Mike Brown. He coached them to 66 wins AFTER a 4-0 sweep in the finals. I think voters probably took that into consideration.

And so on and so forth.

PS (not saying I necessarily agree with it or not)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kushed View Post
    Its rather simple to be honest. It usually goes to the coach who exceeds expectations.

For example, Pop won it last year. I think the reason he won it was because no one expected the Spurs to be that good. Thus reinforcing how good of a coach he is.

Two years ago, it was Thibs. I don't think anybody expected him to step in like he did and lead the Bulls to such a great record.

Three years ago, it was Scott Brooks. The same can be said. The Thunder were on the come up and topped the league that year. A young team that he took control of.

Four years ago, it was Mike Brown. He coached them to 66 wins AFTER a 4-0 sweep in the finals. I think voters probably took that into consideration.

And so on and so forth.

This. Sexy Narratives win awards.

vCash
    Ask the voters

vCash
    all the awards would be boring if LBJ won MVP and Pop won COY. awards are basically accolades for teams like mine (the nuggets), who won COY and GMOY, and didn't even make it past the first round. Obviously the best GM in the league right now is Pat Riley. He pulled off perhaps the greatest free agency of all time. Masai though was a story in a mid sized market, something to give fans hope for. GK, I dunno, 57 wins was impressive I feel like the voters were impressed by Denver overcoming the crazy 18 of the 21 games or so being on the road and the injuries they dealt with. In 2011 Derrick Rose won MVP even though LBJ was clearly the better player that year. By giving it to Rose, they made Rose an even more popular player in Chicago, a market that desperately needed a star. If Melo, Durant, CP3 or Dwight come even close to LBJ, I imagine we will see them win it over him simply because there's no theater if we already no the winner. I simply do not care about these awards. Lebron is and has been the best player in the league, everyone knows it, people simply looked at any reason to doubt him because we all hated his arrogance but the truth is he is better than Kobe, and is the most dominate player since Shaq's prime. So take these awards with a grain of salt, you learn more about who's great by the fans on this forum than you can from media awards.

vCash
    no idea,but best guess is because there is no stats to help you judge impact.but with coaching,the closest thing is record

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kushed View Post

And so on and so forth.

i agree, and your logic still applies...but didn't george karl win it last year?

Number 3 Is The Key!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SportsFanatic10 View Post
    i agree, and your logic still applies...but didn't george karl win it last year?
    Yes.

I think he is talking about 2011-2012 season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by abe_froman View Post
    no idea,but best guess is because there is no stats to help you judge impact.but with coaching,the closest thing is record
    This. People have no idea how to judge coaches except by team record.

vCash
    why should it go to the best overall coach? Its more impressive to see a coach turn a team around and land in the top 3

vCash
    Thibs should have won it two straight years

vCash
    How the hell do you people know how good or bad a coach Popovich is anyway? Because his team wins? Because of a few ESPN sideline clips?

He's head coached only 1 season without Duncan and went 17-47.

The truth is none of us fans have enough info to legitimately assess who is the best NBA coach.

vCash
    Yeah, the award should go to the coach who helped the team out the most instead of the best coach.
    Favourite Teams:

Boston Red Sox: 5-8, games this week vs. Chicago White Sox (3), Baltimore (3)
    Indianapolis Colts: 11-5, 2013 AFC South Champs, great season guys.
    Looking for new NBA team to cheer for
    Ottawa Senators: 37-31-14, season over, good effort guys.

vCash
    Because sometimes even the best coaches can't make miracles. Sometimes it's about which coach has the biggest impact on a team just like the MVP.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast