Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Should trucking/running into the catcher be outlawed?

As we have seen the past few seasons (Santana and Posey most recent MLB examples) Plays at the plate (or more specifically running/trucking into the catcher) has proven to be a very dangerous play for the baserunner to make, due to the high likelihood of the catcher suffering a serious injury. Earlier this week Brandon Douglas of Double-A Erie (Tigers) and catcher Brian Jeroloman of Harrisburg (Nationals) were involved in a play at the plate, and it resulted in Brian Jeroloman eventually being placed on the DL. which once again has sparked a debate amoung writters on if running into the catcher should be outlawed.
    http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/23508065

vCash
    No Its part of the game . I have been a catcher my whole life and still catch 9 innings on Sundays. I believe its still relevant in the game and would hate to see it go away.

http://wapc.mlb.com/play?content_id=5766041

vCash
    Yeah most of the time it's a clean baseball play. Leave it be.

vCash
    And the pussifucation continues....

vCash
    Immensely stupid idea.

vCash
    If the catcher doesn't want to get plowed, he shouldn't block the plate.

vCash
    No. Then we wouldn't get to see moments like this when Cubs great Ted Lilly embarrassed Yadier Molina in front of Cardinals nation.

http://wapc.mlb.com/play/?content_id=3452671

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Swarley91 View Post
    No. Then we wouldn't get to see moments like this when Cubs great Ted Lilly embarrassed Yadier Molina in front of Cardinals nation.

http://wapc.mlb.com/play/?content_id=3452671
    Does almost everything have to involve the Cubs/Cardinals with you?

Real subtle dig btw.

vCash
    Oh come one. It was a pitcher taking out one of the best catchers in the game and making him wither on the ground. Teddy Ball Game was such a bad *** baller.

vCash
    Probably, but it won't until someone's career is ruined. People act like it's some huge part of baseball or something despite the fact that forcing the runner to slide and barring the catcher from using anything but his foot to block the plate makes for just as exciting a play. Head injuries are changing sports, if you can trim something as trivial as collisions at the plate to make the game safer I don't see what's so objectionable.

vCash
    **** just watch that video. All that meathead has to do is slide to his right and he's got half the plate to get his hand across. Fans get to see a close, exciting play at the plate and no one's career has to be put in jeopardy.

vCash
    I don't understand why it needs to be a part of the game. It basically allows for a full-speed tackle of a defenseless player. Minor rule tweaks could do away with it completely. Why can't home plate be like the other 3 bases - no contact?

I don't have a strong preference for it one way or another, but I just don't see any logical argument for allowing that kind of play.

vCash
    I dont have a problem with it. It is a staple of the game. A close play at the plate that involves contact is one of the most exciting plays in all of sports. Let it be.

vCash
    Should be banned. Catchers shouldn't be blown up at home anymore.

The catcher should have to leave a lane for the runner to slide. If the ball beats the runner and the catcher has enough time to apply a tag, the runner is out. If not, the runner is safe. Period.

vCash
    Two nights later and Brian Jeroloman's still in the hospital.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast