Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

How long is everyone's leash this year?

I think everyone here could agree with me that Masai is probably done all major moves going into this season. The only thing that stopped Masai from going full rebuild was the play of our starting five last year when healthy imo. He probably also wants to get a better evaluation of what he has as well. I'm hoping the Raptors can stay healthy and play above .500 ball.

This years draft is looking so good. Everyone is obsessed with Wiggins and rightly so. First overall is far from the only prize next year though. I would love to see J.Randal. J.Parker, A.Gordon, or M.Smart in a Raptors jersey. That Exum kid looks sick too.

Who has the shortest leashes out of Coach/Players?
    My question is if this team starts terribly with lets say a 4-16 record does the team get blown up?
    Do you think the record would need to be worse/better before moves are made?
    Do you think small adjustments, big trades, or Full Tank?
    Who gets moved/fired?

I think Casey, DeRozan, and Lowry are on the shortest leashes.

My worst nightmare is we play .500 ball all year miss playoffs and get a pick too high to get any of the franchise changers.

Any feed back would be great.
    Last edited by EastCoastRaptor; 09-05-2013 at 06:29 PM.

vCash

How long is everyone's leash this year?

I think Casey regardless of what happens will be the coach the entire season. Lowry is the only player i see realistically being moved.
    “It’s about winning,” Stoudemire said. “You win, you’re going to get on national TV. Simple. In Phoenix, we won — Western Conference finals three, four years, playoffs every year. We won. If you don’t win, nobody really wants to see you.”

vCash
    I look at the raptors history post carter era and I see a team that is hard pressed to get any sort of talent. now that we have some people are eager to blow it up.

im not as optimistic as some others. I think if we blow it up we become a lottery team for the next 5 years again.

build around lowry, gay, j-val. move guys like ross or derozan to find pieces that will compliment that core unit. blowing it up will be a mistake. It will be like the bosh era where we basicallly try to build around one guy and he grows tired and leaves. just like every other team we ever had. for once we have a group of guys who want to play here. I think we should build with them.

vCash
    This is the most talented team we have since the vince days and like Smith&Wesson said everyone is so quick to blow it up.

I think Val is the future of this team regardless of what everyone else does. If we start the first 20 games lets say 7-13 then blow start looking to move one or two pieces. If we start 5-15 blow the whole thing up. .500 or better keep the team intact.

vCash
    Shortest leash is Casey.

But I also don't expect Gay to last the full season in TO.

vCash
    I still think Valanciunas is the only player who you can safely say won't be moved under any circumstances.

vCash
    I hope that this team can play well. I'd give them 20 games or to evaluate the situation.

If we're well below .500, fire Casey and trade Derozan and Lowry for increased tanking. I don't include Gay because it's unlikely that he can be moved so early in the season. The other two have more trade value and lower contracts.

Then gamble on a decent pick, and build up with Val and whoever we pick. Let Gay's contract expire, and pick well for the next 2-3 years.

But, I'd prefer that we do well in the first 20 games and try to grow this team into something good for the next 5 years or so.

vCash
    I think we are going to see huge seasons out of Gay, Derozan and JV. The only reason people want to get rid of Gay is because of his contract, but if he shoots well from 3pt land this year, people will start singing a different tune...

I've said it already this off season though, if we want to be an above average team, we should be bringing in Derozan in as a 6th man. His only elite skill is putting the ball in the basket, and those types of players are best suited in that kind of a role. It would mean that Ross doesn't get that much PT, but unless he earns it defensively in practice, I can live with that. Lots of former slam dunk champs don't get much regular playing time..and winning the slam dunk is really the only bright spot he has shown up to this point in his career.

The ball should be dominated by Lowry, Gay and JV in the starting lineup, and then use Derozan off the bench to come in and give us buckets. I really think the following starting lineup can have success....offensively, and even more importantly, defensively:

Lowry, Fields, Gay, Amir, JV

Unless Derozan comes in this season shooting the ball from 3 the way he did at the end of the season last year, I think this is our best starting 5. If he does shoot the ball well from 3, I would be inclined to play the following:

Lowry, Derozan, Fields, Gay, JV

Then use JV like Orlando used to use Howard.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bartron_44 View Post
    I think we are going to see huge seasons out of Gay, Derozan and JV. The only reason people want to get rid of Gay is because of his contract, but if he shoots well from 3pt land this year, people will start singing a different tune...

I've said it already this off season though, if we want to be an above average team, we should be bringing in Derozan in as a 6th man. His only elite skill is putting the ball in the basket, and those types of players are best suited in that kind of a role. It would mean that Ross doesn't get that much PT, but unless he earns it defensively in practice, I can live with that. Lots of former slam dunk champs don't get much regular playing time..and winning the slam dunk is really the only bright spot he has shown up to this point in his career.

The ball should be dominated by Lowry, Gay and JV in the starting lineup, and then use Derozan off the bench to come in and give us buckets. I really think the following starting lineup can have success....offensively, and even more importantly, defensively:

Unless Derozan comes in this season shooting the ball from 3 the way he did at the end of the season last year, I think this is our best starting 5. If he does shoot the ball well from 3, I would be inclined to play the following:

Idk if it was you who already stated that Fields should start a while back but I agree completely, well except about the Orlando part.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bartron_44 View Post

Why Fields though? Why not Ross instead? Ross could at least spread the floor with his shooting stroke.
    Raptors Franchise Checklist:
    Rebuild with young players [ ]
    Build contending team [ ]
    Host NBA All-Star Weekend [ ]
    Win Championship [ ]

vCash
    I'm not high on this roster like other ppl but I think we're good enough to at least hang around the 8th spot til the trade deadline and in that case, I don't think anything happens. but after the season it should be interesting to see if Masai thinks the potential with this core is there or not.

vCash
    Lowry, Gay, Casey have until the trade deadline to convince Masai to move forward with this group IMO. Both deals are potentially expiring and Masai won't want to lose assets this off-season.

vCash
    I think the team is on a leash as a collective. Individual success won't matter too much this this roster. Either we start off with a lot of promise and put ourselves in the playoff run right from the get-go, or we blow it up one piece at a time. NOBODY'S SAFE

"Juuuuuuuuuuuuust a bit outside. Wild Thing tried for the corner and missed."

vCash
    I have a leash of maybe .500 ball by the end of December. If we aren't at that mark, I'd make it a fire sale.

vCash
    I hope your leashes are longer than your memories.

Who remembers these rosters??

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/TOR/2006.html
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/TOR/2009.html
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/TOR/2010.html
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/TOR/2011.html
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/TOR/2012.html

I can def list a hell of a lot more seasons, but you all get the point.

In both the carter & bosh era’s we tried to build around one player. Never worked and it resulted in each player leaving or demanding a trade. The rosters this team has had and fans have grown use to are absolute garbage. Its not very realistic to think we can simply just improve on what we have if we blow it up. If it was, why wasn’t it done in the past?

I’m not saying our roster now is incredible. But it’s a whole lot better than rosters we have previously had in recent history. It’s either being a playoff team for the next few years or a lottery team again for the next few years and hope that the new management can rebuild a team that can surpass the talent level we currently have.

If we do rebuild and do so around someone like wiggins, I hope that this franchise has learned from their past and continue to rebuild around that player by being patient for FEW seasons (not just one or two). Building around one star player will result in that player to grow tired and leave as the others You have to try to land multiple first round picks in consecutive seasons to build around a few solid top picks rather than just one.

Either way I’m all for it. But if they rebuild, I hope that they stick with it and do it properly. None of this glorifying one player crap to sell tickets.
    Last edited by smith&wesson; 09-06-2013 at 05:17 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast